Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qpackard Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2006, 02:44 PM
    Winding string trimmer
    How to wind the string trimmer on my bump-advance string trimmer?

The trimmer string is always jamming.
    I wind it tightly, I wind it loosely, I spray silicone on the string but still it jams. Should I change string size? Could the cut-off blade be the problem? I have seen professionals without any cutoff assembly, just the head.
    Is there some secret to the universe that only I am missing?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2006, 07:58 PM
    What brand? And I may be able to help more... are you using what the manual and bump head has stamped on it, on the size line?
    qpackard Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 11:23 AM
    The make and model:
    Homelite UT20022A
    25cc String Trimmer
    String size 0.80

I followed the directions in the manual, loading 9 feet of string so it tends to be closely wound, not tightly, but still that's a lot to get into the head.
    The grass deflector and edger attachment are in place.
    I bump and no string advances, I open the spool and the string is caught under several layers, almost as if the deflector/cutter is not cutting the string but grabbing it and pulling on it. I tested the blade and while it couldn't cut paper it still is sort of sharp, enough to sever the line at its high speed, but is it sharp enough? There are two lines coming out of the spool, one line gets worn down and jammed, the other sometimes gets pulled out of the head.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2006, 05:22 PM
    9 feet sounds right.. no the blade that cuts the string on the deflector doesn't have to be sharp...

I'm sure you wrapped it around the correct way (just making sure)
    Those pros you see mainly use them without deflectors as to give a bigger cut, and will use heads you just feed what you need in.. it could be time for a new head.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Oct 26, 2006, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by qpackard
    How to wind the string trimmer on my bump-advance string trimmer?

The trimmer string is always jamming.
    I wind it tightly, I wind it loosely, I spray silicone on the string but still it jams. Should I change string size? Could the cut-off blade be the problem? I have seen professionals without any cutoff assembly, just the head.
    Is there some secret to the universe that only I am missing?
    Look on the spool, see if it show's the size string you should be using or look at the owner's manual or go online, if it's electric probably uses .065, if gas powered, probably uses either .080 at least up too much higher like 1.25. If you go online to the manufacturers website, seeing if there are intructions on how to wind the string.
    glennat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2011, 03:19 PM
    I have the same problem. Following all the instructions, but the nylon 'string' is so stiff it doesn't wind tightly or lay neatly. It springs back and tangles up. When you wind a bobbin on a sewing machine, there is tension on the thread and a guide that makes the thread stack up properly. If you don't use these, you get the same effect -- a loose tangled mess. I considered trying to make sure there is no twist in the line, but that dosen't seem to help. All the instructions out there seem to be written for a 4 year old, and don't go beyond the obvious. But, this is not an uncommon problem!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homelite trimmer help! [ 3 Answers ]

What is the gas to oil mixture for a 30cc homelite trimmer?

Trimmer [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to put new string on an echo trimmer

Mac trimmer [ 1 Answers ]

I have Mac trimmer power head that I picked up to tinker with - I believe it's a 28 cc (Roadrunner). I've got it running, but at full throttle it makes this loud knocking sound that I'm having trouble figuring out - despite taking it down a couple of times. It will occasionally backfire too. The...

My string trimmer [ 1 Answers ]

How do I put new string on my trimmer

String trimmer [ 3 Answers ]

How do I remove the cover to replace the string on a Weed Eater Featherlite? I just can't seem to figure it out. Thanks.

View more questions Search