Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    farrahdeville Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2008, 11:28 PM
    Grocery store
    My little 3 year old daughter, cut her hand in a grocery store on a basket, she was standing in front of me pushing, I reached in a coller to pick up something, and her skin got caught in the handle. Picture this, you are pushing a basket from the front, the plactis part on the handle turns around, but it shouldn.t, well her skin was pulled of pretty deep, about 1 inch of it. She cried like the baby she is. The manager was notified, and he was not sypathetic at all, he was like well it was just a pinch, she'll be okay, welll I took her to the emergency room , and was told to keep it clean and apply neosporin, well should I sue. I definitely will contact home office Monday mornirg. My lilttle girl can only use 1 hand and she constantly complains of the pain...
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2008, 05:21 AM

Did this just happen? Her hand probably does still hurt if so.

If the manager had been nicer about it - would you be asking about sueing?

Personally I don't think you should sue. Call the store, make a complaint - let them know how you felt you were treated. But sueing? I think that is extreme.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2008, 06:00 AM
    Hello f:

If the store doesn't satisfy you, I'd sue in small claims court for pain and suffering. Make sure that your daughter is filing the lawsuit, not you.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 15, 2008, 07:17 AM

Well its hard to tell whether there is an issue where the basket was not maintained properly or this was just a freak accident. Unless you can prove the store was negligent in not fixing a problem with the basket, you have no case.

You should pursue the store about covering your medical expenses and the manager's attitude, but not more than that.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 15, 2008, 07:30 AM

You take your ER bill to the store and ask them to pay it, or supply you the name and contact info of their insurance department.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2008, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    You take your ER bill to the store and ask them to pay it, or supply you the name and contact info of thier insurance department.

Right - get a copy of the store's incident report, wait until your daughter is no longer in pain (and you must document the pain, take photos, keep notes), submit all medical bills to the store - which will forward them to the insurance carrier, also ask for a sum for pain and suffering. If they don't comply, file in Small Claims Court as the natural parent and guardian of your daughter. Your burden will be to prove that this was a defect which the store should have seen and recognized. The store's argument will be that X number of people shop every day and this has happened X times, also that your daughter was not properly supervised and/or the cart/basket was never intended to be used/carried by a child - if they even bother to do that.

Good will "usually" causes the store to pay the medical bills and perhaps a gift certificate for a nominal amount.

As far as the Manager - well, his attitude, although unseemly, will not enter into any "settlement." If you appear to be making a claim and/or suing because of his attitude it will hurt your case - your daughter is either injured or not and that is the basis of your claim.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2008, 09:55 AM

You should ask the store to at least pay a portion of the bill. If they refuse, then I would consider filing in small claims. However, a cut on a hand does not warrant an "emergency" unless the wound needed stitches. From what you've posted as the hospital's instructions, it doesn't sound as if stitches were required.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am planning on starting my own grocery store [ 2 Answers ]

Am planning on starting my own grocery store but not sure where to start or how to go about it Does anyone have any advice. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Wal-Mart Grocery Coupons [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can get coupons for Wal-Mart groceries? I work at Wal-Mart and there are LOADS of people that come in with coupons for free stuff. I have searched and searched the internet and I can't find anything! Does anyone know where I can get Wal-Mart grocery coupons? Thanks for your...

General Store Owners' own personal purchases from the store [ 1 Answers ]

We have just started to run a general store as a family partnership of 4 people. We take out what we need for our own consumption but do we need to account for this in our yearly accounts please?

Grocery cart [ 2 Answers ]

If your grocery cart is full of rock, Northern Pink, California spot, amd gulf of mexico white, what are you purchasing?

View more questions Search