Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brittany124 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2008, 12:10 AM
    STD's and babies
    If you have genital warts can you pass it to your baby? Will it have warts on it when its born? Can the doctors treat it and cure it?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 3, 2008, 12:22 AM
    Genital warts are not curable. Yes, they can be passed on to baby if there is a vaginal delivery when the lesions are present. Most doctors prefer to do a ceserean section if lesions are present.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 3, 2008, 12:27 AM
    This is an excerpt from a fact sheet from the Department of Health and Human Services on STDs and pregnant women:

STDs can have many of the same consequences for pregnant women as women who are not pregnant. STDs can cause cervical and other cancers, chronic hepatitis, pelvic inflammatory disease, infertility, and other complications. Many STDs in women are silent; that is, without signs or symptoms.

STDs can be passed from a pregnant woman to the baby before, during, or after the baby's birth. Some STDs (like syphilis) cross the placenta and infect the baby while it is in the uterus (womb). Other STDs (like gonorrhea, chlamydia, hepatitis B, and genital herpes) can be transmitted from the mother to the baby during delivery as the baby passes through the birth canal. HIV can cross the placenta during pregnancy, infect the baby during the birth process, and unlike most other STDs, can infect the baby through breastfeeding.

A pregnant woman with an STD may also have early onset of labor, premature rupture of the membranes surrounding the baby in the uterus, and uterine infection after delivery.

The harmful effects of STDs in babies may include stillbirth (a baby that is born dead), low birth weight (less than five pounds), conjunctivitis (eye infection), pneumonia, neonatal sepsis (infection in the baby's blood stream), neurologic damage, blindness, deafness, acute hepatitis, meningitis, chronic liver disease, and cirrhosis. Most of these problems can be prevented if the mother receives routine prenatal care, which includes screening tests for STDs starting early in pregnancy and repeated close to delivery, if necessary. Other problems can be treated if the infection is found at birth.
    AmandaCarreras Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2009, 08:06 PM

I've been told that If you have Genital Warts the doctors would prefer not to deliver the baby but I guess some do a C-Section..
    Expert

Apr 1, 2009, 03:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaCarreras View Post
    I've been told that If you have Genital Warts the doctors would prefer not to deliver the baby but I guess some do a C-Section..
    If you don't deliver the baby how do you get it out other than a C-Section?:confused:

Apr 1, 2009, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    If you don't deliver the baby how do you get it out other than a C-Section?:confused:
    Usually the doctors know that you have genital warts and won't let you got through with the pregnancy... so you would have to have an abortion or I think the doctors will ask you if you want to go through with it and then tell you what can happen to the baby due to the genital warts, like the baby can be born blind and other effects... Im not really sure though I'm just going by what I heard.
    Expert

Apr 1, 2009, 03:46 PM
    Usually the doctors know that you have genital warts and wont let you got through with the pregnancy... so you would have to have an abortion or i think the doctors will ask you if you wanna go through with it and then tell you what can happen to the baby due to the genital warts, like the baby can be born blind and other effects... Im not really sure though im just going by what i heard.
    This is completely untrue. Women with genital warts successfully carry babies to term every day. Abortion is NOT necessary. Vaginal delivery is appropriate if there is not an active breakout. If an active breakout is happening at or near delivery, a ceserean section is performed.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2009, 05:10 PM
    J-9 - Silly Rabbit the Stork delivers those babies! LOL Oh, that's right you are a delivery nurse so you should know just who delivers babies... the doctor does, the old fashioned way with your capable help.
    Expert

Apr 1, 2009, 05:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    J-9 - Silly Rabbit the Stork delivers those babies!! LOL Oh, that's right you are a delivery nurse so you should know just who delivers babies.... the doctor does, the old fashioned way with your capable help.
    Shhh, the stork sneaks in at night, someone has to be there in the receiving department when he shows up. That's why I work nights. ;)
    Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 04:02 AM

I heard if the stork has warts, he can't touch the baby. So he yells for the nurse.

Tick
    Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 04:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I heard if the stork has warts, he can't touch the baby. So he yells for the nurse.

tick
    Ms. Tick, what if the nurse has warts?
    Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 04:32 AM

Yes, I had considered that, so then the stork flies away and the baby can't be delivered because everyone has warts. And I guess the baby would have to crawl out itsel avoiding its mommy's warts, I guessf. Or something like that. Problem solved !

Tick
    Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 04:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    yes, I had considered that, so then the stork flies away and the baby can't be delivered because everyone has warts. And I guess the baby would have to crawl out itsel avoiding its mommy's warts, I guessf. Or something like that. Problem solved !

tick
    I knew delivering babies was complicated (since I do it 3 nights a week), but, wow, that poor baby. All the decisions it has to make before it even sees the light of day.
    Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 05:36 AM

Better to learn how now, then later

Tick

Apr 2, 2009, 12:28 PM
    This is completely untrue. Women with genital warts successfully carry babies to term every day. Abortion is NOT necessary. Vaginal delivery is appropriate if there is not an active breakout. If an active breakout is happening at or near delivery, a ceserean section is performed.

Yeah but then the baby has herpes and has to live with it.
    Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 01:30 PM
    Yeah but then the baby has herpes and has to live with it.
    The baby does not always have herpes. And there are preventative measures given the baby immediately after delivery whether it is a vaginal delivery or a surgical delivery.

Believe me, I delivery babies for a living as well as working in a newborn nursery.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

STD's following Hysterectomy [ 3 Answers ]

Is it possible to still get some or any STD's after having a full hysterectomy? I was pretty sure at the time of the op, that I was told I could not get most of them like Chlamidia, but not sure.

Worried about std's [ 9 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend have always used condoms.. but last night right before he put the condom on his penis touched my vagina for a few seconds. Now I am worried that I might have given him hpv. I was diagnosed with it a few years ago. We didn't mean to touch it was totally an accident. Is it...

What can happen?std's [ 5 Answers ]

What can genital warts do to your body if not treated?:confused:

Std's [ 11 Answers ]

Is it possible for an STD to form without actually having sex with someone who has one? My girlfriend and I had sex earlier (without a condom, she's on the pill and I didn't have one. I know, I know. Don't lecture me.) and now "I'm" doing weird things. The head is really dry and itchy and the left...

View more questions Search