Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2005, 08:54 AM
    Is this Hypocrisy
    I hate spam of all types, and was just told by my mail carrier that the USPO is now offering to forward 3rd class mail in an effort to get more 3rd class business. She goes on to inform me that 3rd class mail (aka junk mail, aka spam) is a huge portion of USPS income.

In other words, it's OK for the Government to help spam us to death with 3rd class mail, but not OK for others to spam us by phone or email.

So is it hypocritical for the US Government to back the Do Not Call list and back anti-spam (email) legislation, but continue to encourage 3rd class US Mail - and even actively seek new "customers" so we're flooded with even more spam in our mailboxes?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2005, 11:09 AM
    I am a little soft on junk mail. Like the USPS says, it helps pay for our first class mail. I sort of view them like commercials, magazine ads, or the links at the top of this page for spam filters. They all help pay for my news and entertainment. Telemarketing and spam burden the channels and pay nothing beyond their minimal costs. Note, I have reported a lot of spam here.

For those of us without vision problems can use my father in law's system. If it didn't say first class, the round file. On the other hand, I remember my mother going through her mail using a magnifying glass.

Search for the Direct Marketing Association and as to be put in the mail preference list.
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2005, 11:24 AM
    Thanks. I'll check out DMA and see if it helps reduce my 3rd class.

In the meantime, if you'd like some extra, I'll mail mine to you :p

At 8, my family is basically a humongous consumer - and we do a lot of it via the mail and online... which I think leaves us with way over the average
    Amount of spam...

Neighbors who see mine always say yikes!
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Nov 28, 2005, 06:10 PM
    It is okay
    I feel for you, and it is nice to see some one other than me venting over spam and junk mail. It got so bad that I had to change my email, I now have two, one that my family and the rescue has and the other is for all that please list your email here site, they can send it all the want, I do not check it anyway.

I really feel sorry for the mail man in our area. Since the solicitors stopped calling in the middle of dinner and home work our poor mail man is carrying all of it. It makes good kindling for our fire place out side. Do not feel bad rigkj it can only get worse. :eek:
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2005, 06:35 AM
    Junk mail USPO
    Hi,
    I am not completey sure about this, haven't done much research on it, but I have heard that burning colored newspapers in a fireplace (such as comics, colored pictures, etc) might release harmful fumes and gases into the house!

As far as junk mail in our mailbox, located in front of our house, I normall just throw them in the garbage.
    I do, however, like the envelopes with "postage paid" marked on them, at the top right. In other words, the company sending me this junk, like credit card companies advertising looking for new customers, etc, pays the postage if I mail in the return envelope.
    Well, sometimes I DO mail in the return envelope, with nothing in it but the advertising stuff, without my name, etc, on the papers.
    Also, I check the outside of the envelope, to see if there is any bar coding, in which case, I throw it in the garbage.
    If more people would mail back these "postage paid" envelopes with nothing in them, causing the company to think twice about sending them in the first place, maybe some of it would stop.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 29, 2005, 06:37 AM
    I love junk mail its great, especially when they send a postage paid envelope with it.
    I take great pleasure in redistrubting junk mail to all the senders.
    Just fill the prepaid envelope with all the rubbish and send it off, after removing your personal details of course.

Soon gets you taken off mailing lsts ;)
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Nov 29, 2005, 07:35 AM
    Love my daddy
    My daddy always said,"This is not a democracy! Its a dictatorship! Now go do your homework!"
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 29, 2005, 12:31 PM
    The major difference between Spam and Junk Mail (besides the edibility factor ;) ) is how its paid for. Direct Marketing companies that send out 3rd Class mail ARE, as noted, subsidizing first class mail rates. They are providing work for many people to prepare and send such mail. But bottom line is THEY pay for it. Junk Mail is easier to ignore since its usually clear that it is junk. And the paper can be recycled or used for landfill, lining birdcages, etc.

Spam costs the recipient. The spammers pay almost nothing to send it out. But it clogs the Internet causing companies to pay for extra bandwidth, resources and staff to deal with it. Recipients have to waste time trying to determine whether something is spam or not. Many spammers try to hide that they are sending spam and much of spam is just scams.

So, no, I don't think its hypocrisy.

Scott<>
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2005, 02:26 PM
    Good points Scott.

I'll have to agree. Not hyprocacy, then.

Irritating but not hypocritical.
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Nov 30, 2005, 02:58 PM
    Comment on fredg's post
    Great idea!
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Nov 30, 2005, 02:59 PM
    Comment on Curlyben's post
    Great idea!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question: