Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Oct 30, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Abram's week of terror
    Hi again! The problem I'm going to discuss is solved, however, I'm curious as to what others think was the cause. Here's the story. For the past few days, almost a week, my Abram has been a little monster! He has always had free roam of the house and been a perfect angel. Brandy is crated. But he started to eat. Not chew, eat. Everything that either has a cord or is made of wood. Nightstand? Eaten. Dresser? Eaten. Alarm clock? Eaten. He even sniffed out the wood under the couch fabric and ate that too. I've got a little wicker basket that holds our keys and cell phone chargers and such, all gone. Basket included. Even a cat toy with a bell. Oh and I've got wooden blinds and he ate the pull knobs clean off. The nightstand and dresser were eaten over a period of a few days. All the other nonsense happened in one day. He is now being crated. And he took to it right away with no fussing at all. Phew! But here's what I'm thinking could have triggered his demonic behavior. #1- He's in the "terrible two" or "terrible toddler" or whatever stage. #2- my Brandy is in proestrus (pre-heat) and he knows it. But he's been neutered well over a month ago?? Which she just started yesterday darn it, and that's horrible news because she's got an appt. for Thurs. morning to get spayed. Think she'll still be OK to go? Anyway, #3- We had a pit bull (don't ask :rolleyes: ) in our back yard for a little bit that took a decent sized bite out of our door frame. After that, Abram tasted the mangled wood that the pit destroyed. So here's my 2 'sub' thoughts. A- After he tasted the wood, he thought, gee this is great and went nuts. Or B- (more logical) He smelled, and perhaps still smells, the un-neutered male pit bull in our back yard and went berserk. And my dogs aren't bored or not getting enough attention or anything. They have it all. Daily walks, weekly trips to Ft. Woof, And occasional visits to the local park with a duck pond. We work with their obedience too. They both have come so far. Both can sit, lay, bang (play dead), Brandy can roll over, Abram can speak, and Abram will stay where you tell him for as long as you tell him to even if you leave the room. He's AWESOME with that. It's a wonder he can't roll over?? Oh and they're both leash broken and great with kids (ever see a rottweiler tiptoe? :p ) Anyway, what got into him?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2007, 12:21 PM
    My guess is that it is her. After a month, he still has some hormones circulating. Even after they are gone, neutered males are still destabilized by females in season. The rival male won't help either. A fight between a Rott and a Pit Bull won't be pretty. You need to keep in mind he could still mate with her. The odds are against any stry sperm beingleft, but suhmatings can cause injuries and infections. Keep them apart especially the second and tird week after the discharge starts. Unfortunately, most vets will refuse to spay her now. They will want to wait until she is all finished now. That leaves you with all the mess, risks, and hassle of a dog in season. The most fertile times are the second and third week after the discharge starts. Be very careful. Almost any behavior can be expected. Mostly they demand attention, show more interest is sniffing around anywhere a male
    Marked, and can become very determined and creative about getting loose to
    Find male companionship. Once loose, they can go running across a highway heedless of traffic. Do not bathe her until all the swelling has gone down. They make sanitary garments for dogs. Ask for Seasonals. Since you are going to have her spayed afterwards, you might want to go with a cheaper brand. Some people use children's training pants putting the tail out

Oct 30, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Thanks for th insight labman. I knew it had to be something. Just wasn't sure what. That's interesting about his hormones still circulating. Abram and the pit and Brandy all played and played and played last week so there certainly wasn't any aggression. When we brought our pups in, the pit stayed out and of course peed all over my yard and that's when he took the bite out of the door frame. But the pit's been gone since last Tuesday. He only stayed for one night. (Long story) Anyway, the vet told me to bring Brandy in as scheduled on Thursday so they can look her over to determine if they will proceed with the surgery. You're right, they probably won't spay her :( When we're at work, Brandy (and now Abram) is crated so that eases my mind. Now that you mention it, Brandy has been VERY affectionate towards especially me. She's acting like a darn lap cat. And she'll whimper and whine when she's not in my lap. I mean her WHOLE self. But I will keep my third eye on my big guy to make sure he doesn't try anything with her. I'll pick up some doggie diapers. Hopefully he doesn't eat those too :p Thanks labman!
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2007, 04:01 PM
    Katie, sorry I didn't see your post sooner but I would have said exactly what Labman has stated here. I will be very surprised if they go forward with the spay.

Nov 2, 2007, 06:56 AM
    Hi again guys! I figured I'd add to this thread instead of posting a new question since it's related. So Brandy went to her appointment yesterday and they said that she wasn't in heat at all and the discharge I was seeing was due to vaginitis. They spayed her. So learning this, I did some internet research on vaginitis. I found out a lot about what it is and that I shouldn't really panic. Until I found this article, that I know is reliable, since labman always recommends this site. In's and Out's of Puppy Vulvas Please read, since I'll probably botch the summary I try to make. Brandy has an "innie". So now, I'm thinking, oh crap, I just screwed my baby girl :( My question is, does anyone know how likely it is she'll have lifelong crotch issues? Is this very common? I don't mind wiping her every time she pees, but will that be enough? I feel so awful :(
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Hummmmm, if she wasn't coming into season, what was with Abram?
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 11:18 AM
    I guess you don't want to worry about Abrams issues now.? Let us know.

Katie, the bottom line is she has had the spay. Print out that page and talk to your vet about it. I am sure they will tell you that the best thing to do at the moment is to watch, wait, and see. There is medication that will clear up vaginitis if she gets it again, just like there are meds that will clear up a UTI (the other problem with an innie). She may never get another infection or she may get a few of them. If she does get too many of them, they can do corrective surgery, which is performing plastic surgery around the vulva. They just snip away the excess skin that is covering the vulva and stitch it up. I just went through this with my dog. She didn't get vaginitis, she had a few UTIs and the vet felt that it was one too many. The biggest headache was the post op time because I had to keep her from doing things that would tear the stitches. She also had to wear an Elizabethan collar (lampshade). She found a number of inventive ways to let me know she didn't like it. I think I am still black and blue on the back of my legs.

Nov 2, 2007, 11:38 AM
    Yeah, I was boggled on Abram's issues too. At least he's in a crate now and not getting into things. He wound up with diarrhea from the mess of things he ate and had numerous accidents. He had to go out 3 and 4 times at night to potty. A day after he tossed the house, he hacked up a blob of foreign materials he swallowed and still had the runs. So we withheld food for a day to let his insides calm down, boy did that make him grumpy. He's back to normal now thank goodness. Ruby, great idea to print the page. I'll discuss it with them when we get her stitches out. They mentioned antibiotics, but I was hesitant because she just finished a round of them not that long ago for a UTI and the last thing she needs is a yeast infection from prolonged antibiotic treatment. Abram had to have a lampshade once too! He sat in an anthill and had an allergic reaction! He's got such sensitive skin. We have to feed him Iams for sensitive tummies and skin. On any other food, he has hair loss. Is that weird or what? But the Iams for sensitivity, makes his coat healthy, soft, and shiny. Check out the pic. He was 4 1/2 months old or somewhere around there. You can see his upper lip turning up in a sneer! He was not a happy camper!
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 12:28 PM
    LOL. Funny pic.

Have you turned down antibiotics that were suggested for post surgery? I think you might want to fill that prescription if that is what they suggested. The last thing you need is for her to get an infection at the surgical site. You have two dogs that play with each other. She can easily pick up something. In my experience, those antibiotics don't cause yeast infections, but if you are concerned, discuss that with the vet as well.

Nov 2, 2007, 12:51 PM
    No, they didn't give her any post surgery meds other than pain pills. It was the same way for Abram. They offered antibiotics for her vaginitis. They said it really wasn't that severe and should clear up on it's own and the antibiotics were optional. I declined. Oh and Brandy put Abram that big ol lug right in his place when he tried to paw her. He got the hint real fast. She was half comatose yesterday when she came home but is just as chipper as she can be today! As if nothing happened! I went home for lunch today and my bright eyed baby girl is back :D
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 01:30 PM
    I am glad to hear she is doing well today. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Canada gives Terror suspect $10 million [ 8 Answers ]

Compensation payment…WOW…What’s up with this? Tell me what's wrong with this government? Lawmakers apologize to tortured suspect - UPI.com

New Terror Warning - political humor [ 11 Answers ]

NEW YORK -- A public school teacher was arrested today at JFK International Airport as he attempted to board a flight while in possession of a ruler, a protractor, a set square, a slide rule and a calculator. At a morning press conference, the Attorney General said he believes the man is a...

Several years Living in terror [ 1 Answers ]

My neighbors children are calling me all sort of abusive names including "trick" and "whore" through the walls of my home. Is this considered sexual harassment? They also throw trash all over my drive way and cause a lot of raquet hanging out near my door which is directly next to theirs and call...

What is with this week? [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone else been having a drama-filled week? UGH I just need to rant a little bit... Too start, my ex and I have been on talking terms again.. no arguments for a while, and I was getting to like him (not in a way to get back, just seeing the guy I fell for in the begining). At one point he...

Daschund terror [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 1/2 year old male dashund who I got when he was about 1 year old. He has a lot of aggressive issues and we think he was abused before we got him. When I walk him he goes crazy at the sight of other dogs, runners, bikers, big trucks... I can control this behavior most of the time but some...

View more questions Search