Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Midwife Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2007, 07:10 PM
    Verbal promises / agreements
    My sister assured me that my late fathers estate would be shared equally (he left no will). She is not honouring this despite it being my fathers wishes (verbal). Is her verbal agreement / promise binding?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 1, 2007, 07:17 PM
    Not really, after his death in most states wills have to be in writing and signed to be valid. In some cases video or recorded wills are allowed.

BUT, if there is no will, then all specific heirs have equal rights, and your sisterr has no right actually being in charge of it, unles the court probate has appointed her.

Sounds like time to get an attorney before all the money is gone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Verbal agreements [ 3 Answers ]

My son went to college my ex-husband and I agreed that he would buy our son a nice car to drive and my husband now and I would pay for college. Now my ex-husband is making our son pay for the car (in payments) but this was not the agreement. Do I have a leg to stand on or not.

Judgments, Liens, and Verbal Agreements [ 9 Answers ]

I'm going to try to ask my question(s) without going into too much unnecessary detail, yet giving you the information I think you need. Scenario: Wife (prior to marriage) purchased a house from former in-laws and fiancé moves in. Several years later, after their marriage, they talk the new...

New landlord with old promises I WANT TO MOVE! [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, here's the deal, I need advice ASAP and I don't know what to do! My husband and I are separated and going through a divorce. The house we lived in is up for foreclosure. I didn't know what to do and I met someone who was willing to help me out. He bought a foreclosed home and was fixing...

Verbal agreements [ 1 Answers ]

I recently moved to NY and got an apartment with 2 co-workers. They had already signed the lease, but they let me move in without signing anything. After staying there for a week, I realized that the apartment was too far away from work. I brought this up to the roommates, and they told me I should...

Lease Agreements [ 3 Answers ]

My son moved into a 4 family flat on February 1, 2007. In St. Louis, Missouri. He did NOT sign a lease agreement at that time. The landlord is now asking him to sign a lease. Should my son sign this lease after he has already moved in? My son gave the lanlord the deposit and rent before he...

View more questions Search