Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2012, 05:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    they don't want to repress ineligible people from voting .
    Hello again, tom:

Nahhh. You distort. I've stated many times here, that I don't want anybody voting who doesn't have the RIGHT to vote.

In fact, All I've EVER asked for here, is EVIDENCE that people ARE voting who DON'T have the right to vote. However, you NEVER show any, because there ISN'T any.

Here's how it works in this great land of ours, FIRST off we notice that a crime has been committed. SECOND off, we make laws against it. What we DON'T do, is makeup that somebody is doing something, and make a law against it.

So, unless you present EVIDENCE that LAWS need to be passed to protect the integrity of the vote, it's clear that your intention is to suppress the vote.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2012, 06:06 AM
    And simularily ,when groups sue to block photo-ID laws in court, they can't seem to produce examples of people who have actually been denied the right to vote. I have seen someone successfully demonstrate that he could've voted in the primaries under Eric Holder's name without being asked any proof that he was Holder. Heck ,the guy never even identified himself as Holder and still the poll watcher was going to allow him to vote under Holder's name . That alone proves that most voting systems nationwide are too lax .
    If that same person wanted to enter the Justice Dept building he would have to show a photo id.

Want to know why liberal of liberal States Rhode Island adopted photo id for voting ?
    Because State Senator Harold Metts was told by several constituents of a pattern of voter fraud in Providence. His state representative and her daughter had their votes stolen by someone voting in their names in one election. So maybe they were lying ? Metts by the way is an African American . He took a lot of heat for sponsoring the bill .But he knows it was the right thing to do. The law was passed overwhelmingly by a Democrat legislature.

He said “It's time to stop crying wolf and make the voter-ID law work for those on both sides of this issue who want to ensure the integrity of the system, while guarding against disenfranchisement.”Letter: Why is Voter Integrity Still Being Ignored in RI? - Woonsocket, RI Patch
    Indeed!!
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2012, 06:19 AM
    More from Metts ;and this may cut to the heart of the matter:
    "Historically, when Black people know the rules of the game they follow them to the letter and participate in the process. I take exception to those who give credence to stereotypes about our alleged inability or limited intelligence to participate in the democratic process. Moreover, as a candidate, I will make certain that those supporting me have a voter I.D., or know about the provisional ballot."
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2012, 01:53 PM
    All I know is first ex said if they provide them for free he was OK with it.

"Plus, I'd be ALL for voter ID IF the states that NOW require them provided them FREE to all eligible voters... "
    But go ahead, keep moving the goalpost, ex. I know what you said.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2012, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    But go ahead, keep moving the goalpost, ex. I know what you said.
    Hello Steve:

Mailing it to them is free. Making them pick it up ain't free. Making them get an ID in order to get the ID, isn't free. It just ain't. There's no moving of the goal posts. Free is free, and everything else isn't.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2012, 02:49 PM
    So you really don't want anyone to have to lift a finger to be responsible for themselves do you?
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2012, 03:14 PM
    So you really don't want anyone to have to lift a finger to be responsible for themselves do you?
    Hello again, Steve:

Voting is a right... If there's any heavy lifting involved, it should be the government doing it. Are they not charged with protecting our rights??

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2012, 04:55 PM
    What exactly should me a minimum qualification ? A pulse ? We know in Chicago they waive that one too.

Did you not read my response to Wondergirl ?

Here is all you need to get a mail order FREE id.

In case you missed it...

What I need to know about voting by Absentee Ballot due to the Voter ID Law
    New identification requirements take effect in November 2012.
    Voters must provide drivers license number, last 4 digits of Social Security Number, or a copy of an accepted photo ID when applying for an absentee ballot. Voters may provide identifying number to county over the phone, by email or mail.
    Identification will be verified by the county board of elections before the voters ballot will be counted. Voters have 6 days following an election to provide the necessary identification.
    UOCAVA voters and voters affected by the Voting Accessibility for Elderly and Handicapped Act are exempt.
    Heck ,you don't even have to provide the full SS #... you don't even have to prove that the SS card is actually you!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 5, 2012, 04:56 PM
    How would I provide that?
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2012, 05:03 PM
    What do you think a minimum level of proof should be to confirm you are eligible to vote ? Or do you think anyone who is here ,citizen or not should have that right ?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 5, 2012, 05:09 PM
    Well, for 44 years, I've been showing up at my polling place, said my name to the person sitting at the table, this person checked my name off on a long list (pages' worth) of registered voters, and then I voted.
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2012, 05:12 PM
    So you think there should be no standards of proof at the polling place.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 5, 2012, 05:16 PM
    I haven't had to prove who I am for 46 years.
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2012, 06:02 AM
    So the answer is no ;you don' t think there should be any standards of proving identity at the polls . Enfranchise for everyone ,eligible or not .
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2012, 06:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    so the answer is no ;you don' t think there should be any standards of proving identity at the polls . Enfranchise for everyone ,eligible or not .
    Hello again, tom:

Are you telling me that ANYBODY, or their brother, can just walk in and REGISTER to vote ANYWHERE, WITHOUT showing WHO they are?? I don't think that's the way it is, here in this great land of ours. They don't do that ANYWHERE.

You're just being hysterical.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2012, 06:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Steve:

Voting is a right... If there's any heavy lifting involved, it should be the government doing it. Are they not charged with protecting our rights???

excon
    So there are no eligibility requirements to vote? At all? And if there are, you don't have to show proof of eligibility? What about the rights of American citizens to not have their elections tainted by fraudulent voters?

What about our own DoJ, using a group whose mission is "to provide progressive organizations with the data and services needed to better identify, understand, and communicate with the people they need to persuade and mobilize," to challenge Texas' voter ID law? No bias there, eh?
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2012, 06:27 AM
    What about the rights of American citizens to not have their elections tainted by fraudulent voters?
    Hello again, Steve:

They have the right to be protected from the sky falling too, but you can't show me any more evidence of fraudulent voting than the sky falling.

Look. I'm on YOUR side. I HATE cheaters... SHOW me where we've been cheated, and I'll be outraged just like you.

excon

PS> (edited) I DO find it interesting that you're worried about illegal aliens VOTING, but you don't mind them donating unlimited amounts of untraceable money to political campaigns.. Makes NO sense to a fellow like me.
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2012, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Look. I'm on YOUR side. I HATE cheaters... SHOW me where we've been cheated, and I'll be outraged just like you.
    So because I haven't been robbed I shouldn't try to prevent robberies? Odd logic you have there, buddy.

PS> (edited) I DO find it interesting that you're worried about illegal aliens VOTING, but you don't mind them donating unlimited amounts of untraceable money to the campaigns.. Makes NO sense to a fellow like me.
    Aliens, dead people, multiple votes, yeah, it should be prevented. And Sheldon Adelson was born in Boston.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 6, 2012, 06:59 AM
    REGISTERING to vote is one issue. Yes, the person registering to vote needs to show a picture ID (so they know that's him) plus at least two forms of ID to prove his residence, where he sleeps at night. In Illinois (and probably in most other states), a voter has to reregister with a new address if he moves. Registration/reregistration is closed a month before an election. I've registered and reregistered thousands of people while working in Libraryland.

At that point, the voter's name goes down on the rolls at the county election commissioner's office. That list is what the election judges have in front of them when I go to my polling place to vote. I say who I am and tell where I live (no ID is asked for), and my name is checked off. If my name isn't there at that address, I will be sent home without voting.

People who've moved and live at a new address used to not be allowed to vote, although now I think my state allows reregistering on the spot at the polling place. Because of early voting, registering with proper ID may be allowed now too.
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2012, 07:06 AM
    So because I haven't been robbed I shouldn't try to prevent robberies? Odd logic you have there, buddy.
    Hello again, Steve:

MY logic? Dude! You DID hit upon a universal truth, even IF you used twisted logic to get there.

If robbery ISN'T a problem, of course you shouldn't be worried about it...
    Only a paranoid society makes laws against things that DON'T happen and NEVER did.

But, robbery IS a problem, of course, whereas the sky falling, I mean fraudulent voting ISN'T. I say again, SHOW me where you've been robbed, I mean where somebody FRAUDULENTLY voted, and I'll put in my worst pitchers..

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Just your regular voter. [ 10 Answers ]

Hello: I'm a wonk. I live, eat and breathe politics. You guys do too. I heard a statistic on the news today that 1 in 3 voters have YET to make up their minds. Wow. If they haven't made up their minds by now, what is the game changer going to be? Will it be a TV commercial? A personal...

Name Influence In voter ballots? [ 7 Answers ]

Do names influence voters? Would people in the United States feel comfortable with a president called Obama? Isn't the name too close to the possible mispronounciation of "Obey me?" How much do you feel that names influence the presidential election choices here in the USA?

Noise suppression. [ 2 Answers ]

What will be the best approach to be implemented in suppressing noise in a room with different engines located?:cool: :cool: :cool:

Period suppression for PMS? [ 5 Answers ]

Has anyone on the board tried period suppression (taking birth control all the time with no 7 day break) for PMS? I've been on the pill for a while now, but in spite of that I have really wicked PMS and periods... bloating, cold sores, soreness, allergy symptoms, cravings, headaches and insomnia...

View more questions Search