Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Ky79's Avatar
    Ky79 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0
    New Member

    Jan 5, 2007, 07:52 AM
    What's the time limit for filing charges on someone writing a bad check
    How long do you have to make charges against some for writing a bad check. It was a family member and I wasn't trying to go to court but she refuse to pay it's been a year and she's about to move out of the state.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Jan 5, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Go to your local police dept or district attorney's office. They will tell you. But do you really want to bring criminal charges? Maybe a small claims suit would be better.
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

    Jan 5, 2007, 08:11 AM
    Hello Ky:

    Scott is exactly right. Don't go to the cops. File a small claims action. The cops aren't nice people. You don't want them involved in family financial matters.

    The cops should tell you that too, because it's clear that you're only snitching on them to get them to pay - not because they need to be locked up. That's what civil courts are for. Let's hope your cops aren't bored.

    Ky79's Avatar
    Ky79 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0
    New Member

    Jan 5, 2007, 08:30 AM
    I think I do because this has happen before not only was a bad check but she deposited through my atm sign my name and then withdrew the money for almost 1000.00
    Ky79's Avatar
    Ky79 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0
    New Member

    Jan 5, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Thank you for your help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Self on H1 and spouse on H4. Filing tax first time [ 25 Answers ]

Hi, I have come to US on H1B in Oct 2005. This is the first time I will be filing my taxes. I have a SSN no. I am a software engineer working in CT, USA. My spouse is on H4 and joined me in Dec 2005. We don't have any children. From what I have understood after reading other related links...

Writing a Check w/Insufficient Balance to Cover It [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, Isn't it a crime to write a check out to someone well knowing that you don't have the money in the bank to cover it? As I heard it from a colleague, this would be considered a crime, and a big one in Maryland (where I live). Is that true? I've had three instances with the same person...

Filing tax for first time [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Can any one tell me where I can get the entire details of how USA tax system works as I have no idea and this is the first time I will be filing tax

Bad check [ 19 Answers ]

It is now 2006, back in 200) wrote a bad check for 63.43 in MA. I just found out that there is a warrant out for my arrest. What do I need to do? I no longer live in MA and haven't for 6 years.

View more questions Search