The other day my brother stole a phone off some guy he met up with from Kijiji, the guy he met up with obviouslt phoned the police, and was later charged with theft under 500$ in Ontario.
He is getting a lawyer so I'm sure he will get great help there but my Q is..
Will he have a permanent record? What can he do for it to not be on his permanent record (he's 23), I've been reading about being expunged and I think something about the conviction being dismissed and doing like community service and what not, or is that just for youth/ for expunged how does that go about happening? Also, what about Pardons of Canada, could that be an option as well?

He's never had a record and why he did that is beyond me, but everyone makes mistakes, any help would be appreciated...