Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    codlum Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2012, 02:36 PM
    Is the amount of court costs higher if you lose than if you don't
    If you are being sued by a creditor, is the amount of court costs and attorneys fees higher if you go to court and lose than it would be if you don't go to court?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 2, 2012, 02:38 PM
    Yes, assuming you lose.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 2, 2012, 02:49 PM
    In my area - NY State - it depends on where the process stands when you settle. Attorney fees would be less, of course, if the Attorney spends less time. Court costs are paid when the Index Number is obtained in order to go to Court. I don't know what additional Court costs you think are involved, other than post-Judgment, a transcript, something like that.

Then that opens the subject of whether you are financially ahead if you settle for the full amount OR go to Court and possibly win (or, of course, lose).
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 3, 2012, 04:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by codlum View Post
    If you are being sued by a creditor, is the amount of court costs and attorneys fees higher if you go to court and lose than it would be if you don't go to court?
    If the defendant defends and looses anyway? Perhaps there might be additional court costs involved. In most states, however, attorney fees are only recovered if it is provided for in the contract being sued upon. However, if the defendant defends, normally the court-awarded fees would be higher.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Higher education and external costs on society [ 0 Answers ]

Does added education impose external costs on society

Can you appeal to a higher court in California? [ 3 Answers ]

Once a Custody order has been determined in your county court, can you appeal to a higher court in California?

Determine the total amount of:(a) Manufacturing overhead.(b) Product costs.(c)Period [ 2 Answers ]

Factory utilities $ 11,500 Direct labor $69,100 Depreciation on factory equipment 12,650 Sales salaries 46,400 Depreciation on delivery trucks 3,800 Property taxes on factory building 2,500 Indirect factory labor 48,900 Repairs to office equipment 1,300 Indirect materials 80,800 ...

Can SSI disability be attached to muni court for court costs? [ 1 Answers ]

My girlfriend has several misdemeanors in a municipal court - they are simple disorderly and trespass and the court - as they all do - just want money She has been collecting SSI disability for mental problems for about 4 years - it is my understanding that any small claims court or creditor can...

View more questions Search