Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stennyson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2012, 11:28 AM
    Shoplifting Misdemeanor on background/in retail store databases?
    Hi, I am currently 17 in high school (Maryland) and got caught shoplifting 4 years ago at sports authority. It was a misdemeanor.

They said it would be put on my record, I was banned for a year, and I would be put into a Database that shops refer to in the hiring process to see if I am trustworthy to work in retail.
    It would be erased when I am 18, so they say. And they would bill me for 3x the amount that I stole.

I never got a bill, and tried background checks and found nothing. So I'm wondering if they were just trying to scare me? I am filling out job applications and I'm not sure If I should mention that I have had a misdemeanor and explain it? Or should I wait until I am 18?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2012, 02:19 PM
    Depends on the question - were you arrested? If you were, the answer to "have you ever been arrested" is yes. If you were not, the answer is no.

Asking for restitution is standard. Someone forgot to bill you.

You don't run the same background check, for example, that the Government or other services run. They have access to closed/locked files. This, however, was a juvenile offense.

My feeling? It's a juvenile offense and no one much cares about it. If you lie and are caught the employer WILL care about that.

Depends on where you are attempting to obtain employment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 3, 2012, 03:50 PM
    It does not sound like the police where called, if the police were not called and you were not arrested then there is no criminal record.

They would have a in store record, I doubt they erase it, so if you tried to go to work at their store, they would know it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 3, 2012, 04:31 PM
    Also I know of no shared database that retailers use. So they were probably trying to scare you. But you NEED to be honest on a job app and answer any questions truthfully. You don 't need to answer questions not asked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will an arrest for misdemeanor retail theft (first offense) prevent me from.. [ 1 Answers ]

Will an arrest for misdemeanor retail theft (first offense) prevent me from getting a job? The application asks about felonys, but will a backround check doom me? The arrest is too recent to expunge.

Fried at the Retail store [ 4 Answers ]

I just finished reading six horror stories on a scam reporting website and was shocked that so many people would have gone through having fry's workers hang up on them and give such poor service: Have you had anything happen to you at this store? In 2002, my best friend purchased a 52 inch RCA...

Retail store [ 2 Answers ]

Do you sell your products to retail stores?

View more questions Search