Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackinthebox98 Posts: 15, Reputation: 0

Mar 15, 2011, 04:26 PM
    Did he get a criminal record or not? Probation officer won't tell.
    Long story short.

I was assaulted from an old friend ("T") of mine sometime last year. Earlier this year, he had his court dates and I was told to write a victim impact statement, which I did. A couple of weeks later (today), I got a call from the probation officer, stating "T" was given a 2-year probation order. He is not allowed to communicate with me directly or indirectly and cannot come near me within a distance of 250m. When I asked if he got a criminal record, he said he cannot fully disclose information regarding the court case.

My question is, what are the likelihood of "T" receiving a criminal record because of the probation order? (Are all offenders who are given probation get a criminal record?)

Also, relating to the probation order of not coming within 250m near me, does this apply everywhere or just where I live, work/study? For example, if I see him at the library, or some party (accidentally), does this violate his probation order?
    jackinthebox98 Posts: 15, Reputation: 0

Mar 15, 2011, 04:29 PM
    I live in Ontario, Canada.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2011, 04:37 PM

Hello j:

In order to get sentenced to probation, he would have to have been found guilty of committing a crime... Therefore, he HAS a criminal record.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2011, 06:01 PM

He had to plead guilty or be convicted to be on probation.

For this, since you did not have to attend a trial and testify against them, they plead guilty. It is unlikely that they made a plea deal to have any charges dismissed after probation,

So yes they should have a criminal record. You had the right as the victim to be in the courtroom during the trial, had you done this you would have heard and known what it was. You also should be able to contact the court direct and find out the sentence.

Next he can not come within that distance of you. If he was accidentally in a food store, as long as he ignores you, but he could not have followed you there.

In return, you can't go to places you know he is at, and expect him to leave either.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between Parole officer & Probation officer [ 7 Answers ]

What is the difference between Parole officer & Probation officer? If anybody know about this, please let me know.

Can I be a police officer or probation officer with criminal background? [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently going to school to get a degree in Criminal Justice. I was looking into different jobs and wanted to know if I could be a police officer or a probation officer with a theft charge and a disorderly conduct charge? Both charges where between the age of 15-17. Thank you for any help !

Post-probation criminal record check [ 4 Answers ]

If you served your probation and got your record and fingerprinting removed, how "clean" are you? Can you put NO when job application asks for criminal records? Will it show up for ANYTHING? As in would you still have a record with the police? And also how would it show up during your probation?...

View more questions Search