Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theone06 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2006, 01:03 PM
    Theft
    I did the biggest mistake ever and got caught stealing when I got caught they checked to see if there was any previous records before and I didn't have any and the item was under 100 so they didn't call the cops but they took down all my information like id social and they said that I'm going to receive a fine from 250-500 and I was just wondering if this is going to be on my record?? I HOPE NOT!! :(
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 8, 2006, 01:09 PM
    It would help to know where you are from. But it sounds like this won't be on your record.

Dec 8, 2006, 01:11 PM
    I'm from California and they took my picture and everything and after the fact the guy told me either I can go back to shopping or go home and said that I'm getting a bill that I can go back into the store and make payments it was at a macys

Dec 8, 2006, 01:21 PM
    Unless they called the police, this should not appear on your record. What bothers me is them letting you back in the store and this thing about a fee. Normally a shoplifter, even a first time offender is banned from the store for a period. If they recovered the item intact, then you shouldn't owe anything. If the item was damaged or unsaelable, they should just charge you the cost of the item.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 8, 2006, 01:47 PM
    Who took your photo, who took down all this info?

Unless the police took down all that info, there is no criminal report, no record.
    You were lucky,

I hope you will learn from this.

Dec 8, 2006, 07:51 PM
    The macys security took all of this and they did get the item nothing was wrong with the item and I did learn from this I can't stop thinking about how stupid I was for doing it that's not who I am it was one big mistake but I called the macys lost prevention and they said they got up 2 30 days to press charges against me!:confused:

Dec 9, 2006, 07:41 AM
    True, they can still press charges. So you might consider writing them a letter of apology with a sincere statement that you have learned your lesson and will never do this again.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2006, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    What bothers me is them letting you back in the store and this thing about a fee.
    Hello the:

I would do something else, entirely.

It's true, you shouldn't have shoplifted. That's a misdemeanor - a minor crime, at worst. The loss prevention cops, however, committed a major crime, against you - a felony! It's called extortion. They CANNOT make you pay money to keep them from calling the cops. You're certainly not paying for the thing you stole. They got that back. This is textbook extortion.

Did you get the names of the loss prevention fascists? Call Macy's and ask them for any written documentation they have on the incident. See if you can get their names.

IF you get a bill from them, make a copy and send it back with a letter, sent certified, return receipt requested. Tell them that you will not fall victim to their extortion, and if you EVER hear from them again, YOU'LL be the one calling the cops.

excon

Dec 9, 2006, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    The loss prevention cops, however, committed a major crime, against you - a felony! It's called extortion. They CANNOT make you pay money to keep them from calling the cops. You're certainly not paying for the thing you stole. They got that back. This is textbook extortion.

IF you get a bill from them, make a copy and send it back with a letter, sent certified, return receipt requested. Tell them that you will not fall victim to their extortion, and if you EVER hear from them again, YOU'LL be the one calling the cops.

excon
    I think you may need to reread the thread. I don't see anywhere where he said the store security offered to not report for money. All they said was there would be a fine.

We have seen that Canadian law has upheld the right of a store to charge a fine for shoplifting as a deterrant. Maybe there is California or US precedent for this as well.

I agree its extortion, but, at least in Canada, its legalized extortion.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2006, 10:38 AM
    Hello again:

I think the actions of the loss prevention cops clearly indicate that they're not going to call the police. The mention of the "fine", (which they have no idea about), and the "bill" he's going to receive, for what I don't know, is further evidence. I think the extortion is explicit as well as implicit.

When they catch a shoplifter, loss prevention cops, who are NOT trying to up the victimization, immediately call the REAL police, and prosecute to the fullest extent of the law. The person is banned from store. They don't receive a bill. If the store is out, the perp is ordered to pay restitution.

None of that happened here. The store is a bigger crook, than the crook!

excon
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2006, 05:33 PM
    Unless they press charges, there'll be no fine and no record. Since they didn't call the cops, I'd like to know just if they intend to press charges and, if so, how? It doesn't make sense that they'd plan on pressing charges but not notify the police.
    missgallucci Posts: 20, Reputation: 0

Apr 22, 2007, 11:01 AM
    No it will not be on your record but the fine is a ! Trust me. LOL. Um just try to not tell your parents I guess because other than that you are just banned from that store and they don't want you there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under 5000 [ 5 Answers ]

Ok me and 2 other guys got caught for theft under 5000, the total cost of the items was4300 or something... Im the only one over 18, others are 16 my share of the thngs was approx 1200... I was just wondering what kind of punishment am I looking at? This is my first offence, I haven't so much as...

Theft Under 5000 [ 19 Answers ]

I am 21 yo and living in Ontario Canada. I have recently been arrested for theft. Here's what I did. I used to work at a pay day advance place, where they load up cards for the amount of money they are lending to you. I took a card for myself and loaded it from home($2000). Then...

Theft [ 4 Answers ]

Could someone please tell me what the statute of limitations is on theft in manitoba. Revenue canada want to talk to me about g.s.t. returns that I received. via a different person who was responseable for doing all the paperwork.

Theft [ 32 Answers ]

The other night, Me and some colleagues hit up the local tarvern for some refreshing breverages... okay, we got hammed, and hit the bar... now vaguely I don't remember really being there, but I know I was. Appearently, I stole some beer taps from the beer well. They got me on camera, but, I...

Theft [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am being charged with theft under 5000, 5 counts, and possession, 5 counts. What do you think the consequences will be for this in Canada? I am an adult, and this is my first offence. Please help, I'd like to know more opinions! Thanks :(

View more questions Search