Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morrisseyy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2009, 11:48 PM
    Retail Recovery Services INC. and shoplifting.
    Hello. I recentley got caught shoplifting makeup in a grocery store.. yeah I know.. stupid idea. I got caught in the store and I pleaded guilty and gave them back what I stold, they took my picture, they wrote me out a paper saying I was being kicked out of the store for a year and if I came back there would be more too it. I talked to a cop there and she said it was a free chance for me. But now I got a letter in the mail saying that I owe the store 325 dollars for theft. I don't understand this. I'm eighteen but they didn't mention this when I got caught and told me it was a free chance for me to never let it happen again. It says if I don't pay in 15 days then it might result in civil court. I go to college and work part time.. the truth is I don't even make 325 dollars in a two week period. There has to be some way out of this because this wasn't supposed to happen, it was supposed to be a slap on the wrist basically and a scare to never do it again. Is this just them trying to scare me and get money out of me somehow? I need more information about this
    morrisseyy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2009, 12:01 AM

I guess it is theft under 5000 but they told me it was a free chance that nothing was going to happen. I really need help.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2009, 06:24 AM
    Hello m:

It's only civil... The worst that can happen is you lose, and that ain't no big deal.. But, if you're in the US, I think you'll win.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 22, 2009, 06:38 AM

Canada has case law allowing stores to fine shoplifters as a deterrent. So if you are in Canada this is legal. Don't hang on what the store told you. That's not going to get you off the hook.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2009, 03:26 PM

I don't know where you are or what you signed.

Stores sometimes agree not to press charges IF you pay restitution for what you stole and the time/effort it took them to process you.

What will they do if you don't pay? Depends on where you are. Could they in turn still press charges? Possibly.
    smile5o1chef Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Sep 30, 2010, 07:43 AM
    Too help people... just call the Police and they will look you up. That simple, they will not arest on the spot. They will help you with anyquetions. Call then... make sure you are in the same area disdrict divion. Good luck and your free.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows recovery? Can I create a recovery partition? [ 4 Answers ]

I had to fix a computer for a friend. He got viruses on the computer and I have to do a destructive wipe and completely reinstall a fresh copy of windows. This is not the first time it happened and I am looking for a way to cut down the time it takes to fix this thing when it happens again in...

Retail theft [ 2 Answers ]

What is the offense for a retail theft under 40 dollars, after they accused me of stealing personal pictures, I paid for them after the citation was given to contact the court. My question is will I get jail time for a first offense of a small amount of retail theft, even though I paid for the...

Retail theft under $150, in PA [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I got caught for doing something very stupid retail theft... my gut said don't do it and I still did. I was just trying to see how people do it and not get caught heard from other people, watching TV no one ever gets caught. People who do it first time and don't know how to do it get caught....

How to get a Retail License [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get a retail/resale license to sell suits to customers and eventually on the internet??

View more questions Search