Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CMMdivorce Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 07:45 PM
    Spouse caught stealing money
    I am currently going through divorce and I finally received my wife's "Notice to Produce" documents and going through them I found that she has had a separate checking, saving and credit card account sent to her parents house that I was completely unaware of. The statements go back to 2006 it is 2009 now and it has been thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars. Every month several atm deposits and she has skimmed from every check that she ever made for the family. When she gets a paycheck a part goes into her own separate account and the rest goes to the marital checking account. Looking over her purchases it has all been for herself. Alcohol, Clothing stores, Starbucks, everything for her nothing for the kids or myself. What can I do? I have no attorney because I have no money should I go to the police and document this. We have two children which we are going through a ugly divorce and custody battle. I would like her to pay all the money back and go to jail. Does the court frown against this? Any ideas? THanks
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2009, 08:34 PM

I don't think there is anything you can do as far as getting her in legal trouble because she can just say you hand over the money and don't specify what is to be done with any monies
    The money is joint basically because you are married.
    But in the divorce you should be able to bring that account up for the dividing of the marital property.
    Basically it would be your word against hers about how the money was meant to be used.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 4, 2009, 08:45 PM

It is not illegal for her to save and put back part of her own money, even part of your money you earned.

There is nothing you can do, since there was nothing legally wrong.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 10:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CMMdivorce View Post
    I am currently going through divorce and I finally received my wifes "Notice to Produce" documents and going through them I found that she has had a seperate checking, saving and credit card account sent to her parents house that I was completely unaware of. The statements go back to 2006 it is 2009 now and it has been thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars. Every month several atm deposits and she has skimmed from every check that she ever made for the family. When she gets a paycheck a part goes into her own seperate account and the rest goes to the marital checking account. Looking over her purchases it has all been for herself. Alcohol, Clothing stores, Starbucks, everything for her nothing for the kids or myself. What can I do? I have no attorney because I have no money should I go to the police and document this. We have two children which we are going through a ugly divorce and custody battle. I would like her to pay all the money back and go to jail. Does the court frown against this? Any ideas? THanks
    Go to the police? For what for goodness sakes?

Why do you think she did something wrong?

If she had spent 100% of her paycheck on herself and not shared a penny with you or spent a penny on the kids that would have been okay--perfectly legal.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 10:31 PM

It may be morally wrong but it was her paycheck and she can have a separate hidden account on her own,without it being illegal.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 04:47 AM

"you cannot steal your own money" is the phrase you should remember here.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 08:49 AM

It is her money... she can spend it on what she wants. Did she leave the children hungry with out adequate food or clothing? That would be grounds for neglect but if she made sure they were taken care of who cares what she spend the rest of her money on. (obviously you but she it isn't illegal to spend your own money on yourself)
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 09:18 AM

I know a lot of married people that have the joint account and their own separate account. I find it a bit shady but as everyone said there is nothing illegal about it. When my wife and I got our joint account she was afraid I would be asking her about every single purchase. I told her as long as the bills get paid I don't care what you buy.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    I know a lot of married people that have the joint account and their own separate account. I find it a bit shady but as everyone said there is nothing illegal about it. When my wife and I got our joint account she was afraid I would be asking her about every single purchase. I told her as long as the bills get paid I don't care what you buy.
    My wife has her own account. She likes having it because she knows that whatever money is there she can spend on whatever she wants/needs without worrying about affecting the household spending account.

I don't ask what she spends it on and frankly, I would be perfectly happy not having her recount the 45 minute decision making process of choosing a new tank top... but she does anyway.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 09:38 AM
    http://www.illinoisdivorce.com/_pdf/...l_property.pdf

I am trying to understand how everyone is concluding that this is non-marital property. Everything done following a marriage becomes marital property, her account, unless all activity was done prior to the marriage ceremony would be marital property, whether it is in her name, his or both.

Please clarify how that is not accurate?

EDIT: I agree, her uses of the monies were not illegal.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 09:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwantfair View Post
    http://www.illinoisdivorce.com/_pdf/...l_property.pdf

I am trying to understand how everyone is concluding that this is non-marital property. Everything done following a marriage becomes marital property, her account, unless all activity was done prior to the marriage ceremony would be marital property, whether it is in her name, his or both.

Please clarify how that is not accurate?

EDIT: I agree, her uses of the monies were not illegal.
    Because it was spent while in the marriage. If the account were full that would be subject to the divorce. The fact that it was spent already was a communication/trust problem, not a legal problem.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 09:49 AM
    Ok, I see where the focus is, he wants to recover the monies, not freeze the account.
    My misunderstanding.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 10:34 AM

I would be perfectly happy not having her recount the 45 minute decision making process of choosing a new tank top... but she does anyway.

LOL. I love it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I got caught stealing: I'm 18 [ 6 Answers ]

I got caught stealing yesterday and I am 18. I stole 270 worth of clothing from Von Maur and they told me they would not put me in jail. They gave me a misdeamenor and this is my first offense. I am very scared about the consequences of the outcome of the court and need some advice on how to...

Caught stealing - 'Cash Return Fraud' [ 3 Answers ]

I worked for Old Navy for over 3 years, my bosses always bragged about me to their bosses, and I was one of the best employees they've ever had. Over a period of 6 or 7 months, I would keep customer's receipts from cash transactions and "return" items and pocket the cash. (It was always right...

I was caught stealing and now I'm afraid I will havea criminal record [ 23 Answers ]

PLEASE Help ME :( I was caught by a secret shopper at Zellers. For stealing a chocolate bar. I was sent to the back room with her, she called the police. When the police arrived she had tould him that she wasent going to banned me from the mall just at Zellers! ( for one year) The police officer...

Caught stealing makeup at K-Mart [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter got caught stealing makeup at K- mart , it's the first time, she had just turned 18. But they sent me a letter from a law firm for K-mart that we had to pay a 500.00 fine. We did not pay it and will not. This was separate from the court , at court they gave her a Number to call to...

View more questions Search