Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twilightgirl245 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2009, 09:03 PM
    Age consent
    Well there's this guy and he's 16 and I'm 13 is it legal for us to date?:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 27, 2009, 09:29 PM

In the US
    1. there is no law on dating
    2. there are laws on having sex.

If you were to have sex, that would be rape and he would go to jail.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jun 27, 2009, 09:50 PM

Absolutely, I agree.

Stringer
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2009, 01:07 AM
    Most Western countries don't have laws related to dating, but they do in relation to underage sexual relations.

In Australia, it's against the law for girls under 16 to have sex with guys 16 and over.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 28, 2009, 04:24 AM

This issue has been discussed many times on this site. As noted, there are no laws governing dating. But you are under the age of consent so it would, most likely, be illegal to engage in ANY sexual activity.

At 13 you are a bit young to start dating. I can see hanging out in groups, But I would wait until, at least 14, to start one on one dating. Also a 3 yr gap at your ages, is about the limit. At your ages, you are at different levels of maturity.

Have you discussed this with your parents? Have they given you permission to "date"?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 28, 2009, 04:29 AM

Unless of course this is my grand daughter in which case she has to wait till she is 30 or something

But seriously, as in my grand daughter she recently had her first school dance, she is 12. So she "meet" some boy at the dance, and then came home. To her that was a date, so what one means by dating is another issue
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 28, 2009, 07:17 AM

Legality starts with the parents, and that's who has the final say.
    natalie1xxx Posts: 120, Reputation: 3

Jun 29, 2009, 02:18 PM

I dated when I was 13 , but it was nothing serious just guys the same age as me . So a 16 year old guy would maybe want a bit more than just a hug or a kiss on the cheek . Maybe talk it through with your parents ?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2009, 02:26 PM
    Date, yes. But taking it to levels of sexual intimacy can be risky. Each state/province has its own laws regarding minimum age and age differences. Of course, not to mention all of the other possible consequences which are far more traumatic and lasting than a brush with the law, such as unwanted pregnancy, STDs, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Age of Consent [ 5 Answers ]

What is the Law in the state of Georgia for a 21 year old guy To date a 17 year old girl without Parental Permission? Would I be braking the law?

What's age of consent ? [ 10 Answers ]

I thought age of consent in Maryland is 16 and there's no age gap provisions.. isnt it rite ? So that mean you can have sex with your 16 yr old girlfriend even if u're 30.. rite ? I don't know, if its' right then, what Can you do when u're 18 that you can't do when you were 16? Vote and buy...

Consent to take son [ 3 Answers ]

I am courious, I am married and have a 14 yr old by my husband I am married to now. A few years ago when I was traveling a lot into Canada, he signed a paper that is notorized giving me permission to take my son anywhere in or outside the US. We are having marriage problem I am thinking of leaving...

Age of Consent [ 2 Answers ]

I know that the age of consent in Indiana is 16, but does that mean that a 16 year old can have sex with someone over 21 or is that illegal? Can charges be pressed by parents of the 16 year old if she has had sex with a man over 21? I keep getting mixed reports on this question, so if someone...

View more questions Search