Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrat128 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2009, 08:40 AM
    Can I buy a firearm if I was convicted of a crime 43 years ago?
    In 1966 I was convicted in Wisconsin on 12 counts of burglary (breaking & entering) section 943.10. I don’t know if the section (943.10) I was convicted under was a felony at that time. The Sentence was withheld and I was placed on probation for 3yrs, it was discharged in 1970 after I completed my probation. I had no previous and no subsequent violations.
    That was 43 years ago and I am now 64 and retired. In 1966, at the time I was convicted neither the judge nor the lawyers ever said that I could not own a gun or go hunting with a firearm. The federal law banning a felon from owning firearm was enacted in 1968 and the Wisconsin law was enacted in 1981. Both dates are after my conviction.
    I do not know if I am a “felon” or not. What I want to know is if it is legal for me to purchase a firearm.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrat128 View Post
    I do not know if I am a “felon” or not. What I want to know is if it is legal for me to purchase a firearm.
    Hello mr,

You ARE a felon (that never goes away), but I like your arguments. I don't think you have to worry about the state, but I think the feds will stop you - even though you MIGHT be eligible...

So, I'll bet you're going to need an attorney to apply for you...

However, if you're going to hire an attorney, I'd hire him to represent you in obtaining a pardon.. Then there's NO DOUBT about your eligibility.

In fact, given how old your conviction is, I think you'll have an easier time getting a pardon from the state, than you will getting a firearms permit from the BATF.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 08:50 AM

I believe that it's Federal Law that felons cannot be licensed to own a firearm. Wisconsin says: "Although some states allow a convicted felon to being owning guns after a certain amount of time has passed, Wisconsin requires a pardon from the governor before a felon can purchase a gun. "

If the felony appear on the background check "run" by the gun store, you will need a pardon no matter how old your conviction is.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 08:53 AM
    Hello again, mr:

Well, there you go. It IS the state. That Judy - she's pretty good, and cute too.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, mr:

Well, there ya go. It IS the state. That Judy - she's pretty good, and cute too.

excon

And from what I understand, also a great dancer. And stop answering questions the same minute I'm answering the same questions. Or else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On job application, answer yes or no to convicted of a crime? [ 4 Answers ]

When completing a job application, should I answer yes if I was covicted of a DUI.

Need definition of natural crime and legal crime [ 1 Answers ]

Am doing a college paper on Natural Crime and Legal Crime and am searching for simple definitions or other research on these two types of crime and what falls under each. Thanks:)

Was I convicted of a "crime" [ 3 Answers ]

When I was younger I moved away from home and moved in with my cousin's exwife and her children. She was not the best person for a young person to be living with. But I was a teenager, so I knew it all, right? Lol Anyhow, she wrote a LOAD of checks on my account. Everyone said, file charges....

Convicted of a crime? [ 3 Answers ]

4 years ago I have been arrested for DUI and Possession of THC, but all the charges were dismissed in the end. I read in my court statement, that 1st Offense DUI in WI it is not a crime. When they do a background check on me, (which they said they would before my second interview) they will...

Convicted of a crime [ 3 Answers ]

I am filing out an application for an organization that I used to work for and have filed out an application once before. There are 2 questions that I am unsure how to answer, because I do not recall how I answered them before. Convicted of a Crime/Felony? I was convicted of a crime nearly...

View more questions Search