Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brownboy2u Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2008, 06:58 PM
    How can I do the community service.
    Hi I'm living in canada. I have to do 20 hours community service.
    I didn't get any right place to do the community service.
    But I'm working one of the timhorten. I can donate my 20 hours salary. To any Cancer Foundation or some think like tat. It's possible to do that?
    Please give me advice.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 27, 2008, 07:17 PM

I supervise court-ordered community service workers and speak often with county probation officers. Go to your local public library and talk in person with a reference librarian. The library should have a list of approved work sites or will know who you can call to get such a list.

Most of the CSWs around here do their hours in a library or for a park district, a church, a food pantry, Meals on Wheels, an animal shelter, a soup kitchen, etc.

Twenty hours isn't much. Be sure to check when you have to be finished with them so you get them done in plenty of time. Also, be very sure to get the times written down on a timesheet and initialed by your supervisor and by you. One of my CSW guys had done part of his hours elsewhere and found out too late that the time wasn't being recorded, so he had to do those hours over again with me.

When you have finished your hours, be sure to get a copy of the initialed timesheet for your own records. (Keep it in a safe place!! ) If you are under court supervision, you may have to take that timesheet to your next court appearance to prove you completed your hours. Also, ask your supervisor to keep the original timesheet on file until after the court date, in case any questions come up.

As far as your Tim Horton's salary goes, no one around here has ever done that kind of payoff to my knowledge. Ask the reference librarian, or call your county probation department. Judges in this area want offenders to pay back the community with their work and sweat, not with their money.

If you have any other questions, please ask!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2008, 09:01 PM

There are many places to do community service, Food kitches, homeless shelters and more, every town has some places, The court can help give you names of approved places. Here you can help wash fire trucks or clean police stations and more.

Paying instead of doing it, that is up to your local court.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2008, 07:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by brownboy2u View Post
    it's possible to do that?
    Hello brownboy:

I wouldn't think so, but ask your probation officer.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Community service [ 2 Answers ]

When sentenced to community service, can this be deferred and performed 6 months later, and must it be performed in the county where the crime was committed?

What does Community Service pertain to? [ 10 Answers ]

Just wondering what people usually do when they work community service. Not whining, but just want to know what I'm about to be performing next month. Forgive my ignorance, but I'm a newbie with being on THIS side of the law. Kind of spent my entire life on the right side. :(

Community service time for theft [ 4 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I am 18 years old student living in Canada now, I was caught for theft under $5000 my 2nd offence for that My lawyer has already scheduled an ECR meeting with the Crown So I'm just wondering how much the time will be for community service and/or fine amount. Thanks,

Looking for community service [ 5 Answers ]

I live in West Michigan and I need to find some community service for my little sister. She has to do 10 hours for a class assignment and I have no idea where to start. She is 14going on 15 if that matters. Please help. Thank you!

Community Service [ 3 Answers ]

This may sound stupid and all but, a few months ago I came across a dog that was being badly abused and starved... so I notified the animal cops. It has been a few months now and the dog is still left to die, they did nothing about it. Well... I now find myself wanting to do something, like...

View more questions Search