Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    THETROUBLEDONE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2008, 09:49 AM
    Statue of limitations on theft by deception
    I Wanted To Know If In The State Of New Jersey There Is A Limit On Theft By Deception, My Wife And I Are Charged With A Total Of 6 Theft By Deception Charges, It Had To Do With A Land Deal That Went Wrong Because I Trusted The Wrong Person With Out Personal Information, I Was Arrested And Left The Country On Bail, My Wife Was Never Arrested Because She Was Not Found We Are In South America But Want To Go Home, We Have Been Trying To Get The Guilty Party Using A Privated Detective But Have Not Been Able To Locate Them, My Question Is Since I Was Arrested But Skipped Bail, Is There A Statue Of Limitation On Me, And Since My Wife Has Never Been Found And Never Arrested Is There On Her, We Are Both Are Very Ill And Want To Go Back Home And Be With Our Familys, Before We Die. Thank You
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2008, 02:07 PM
    If you skipped bail there will be a warrant out for your arrest when you return to the states. Warrants don't expire ever. Your wife could come back but may be arrested once she returns. You need to retain an attorney in New Jersey to help straighten out your mess before you return.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 1, 2008, 02:14 PM
    NO, Statue of Limitation is only from the time of the crime, to the time of someone being charged. So once they charged you that stopped the clock, plus if you skipped out on bail, there will be problems with that also. There will be a warrant out for you, it will never expire.

As noted you will need to hire a local attorney to work out any deals prior to anyone coming back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the statue of limitations on theft ? [ 4 Answers ]

I repored a theift about 5 years ago and I was just wornder if there is a time I have to do any thing else about it

What is the statue of limitations on theft by deception in ky [ 1 Answers ]

Recently I had a warrant put on me for a check that is over 7 yrs old. Has the statue of limitations ran out on that?

Theft by Deception - Is this a case? [ 4 Answers ]

We were approached by friends about loaning them money for closing costs on a house they were buying. I have the e-mail to prove that was the plan for the money. The friend and his wife actually took us to a house being built and said it was theirs. They called us after settlement to thank us...

Theft by deception [ 3 Answers ]

I used to work for a office and money was very tight.. the bottom line is that I stole about $2000. But my boss added all these fees and the final amount is $3274.00 I tried to explain to the judge on my hearing that I didn't take all that money that they were accusing me for. But she didn't...

Charged with both theft& deception [ 4 Answers ]

I worked in a bank and I made fake transactions and stole $3670. I have been charged with 6 counts of both theft& deception and receiving stolen property. I don't have a criminal record and never been convicted of a crime before. I'm very afraid. If there's someone out there who knows something or...

View more questions Search