Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jodeci Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    -

Feb 3, 2008, 03:30 PM
    My first offense was about 1000 with court cost judge gave me restituion and plus they got the laptop back. Recently at my job for year,I needed another shirt for my job,but forgot to pay for it.it was $9.99.now want to say iwas shoplifting what do you think the judge will do.Since thi is a different kind of theft and it was not intentionally.

Somebody please answer this ? For me (asap)

Look at the second offense but different theft by jodeci an then answer(asap)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2008, 06:46 PM
    Shoplifting is theft whether it was "intentional" or not. The only difference is the amount involved which makes it a misdemeanor. When it comes time to sentence you a pre-sentence investigation report will be made and a recommendation will be given to the judge. It's up to the judge what the punishment will be.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jodeci
    my first offense was about 1000 with court cost judge gave me restituion and plus they got the laptop back. recently at my job for year,i needed another shirt for my job,but forgot to pay for it.it was $9.99.now want to say iwas shoplifting what do you think the judge will do.Since thi is a different kind of theft and it was not intentionally.

I don't think there's such a thing as "unintentional theft."

It's your second shoplifting charge and now it's up to the Judge - did you take the shirt from your place of employment? That could cost you your job.
    -

Feb 6, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Twinkie and judykay,you got this wrong,I said this was my 1st shoplifting charge in store at my job,an honest mistake.But 4 yrs. Ago I had 2 theft charges in the same place it was at a school not a store so I'm thinking if I would have done the same thing which I did at the school it would be the 3rd one in row at the school then I could understand jail time.But this is my 1st shoplifting charge so what I'm saying do you think the judge would give time in jail for this one sense it''s my 1st offense in shoplifting,remember these are related to the 1st 2.If it was ,you to go back to the schhol and do the same thing a 3rd time then I would understand but I haven't been in trouble for 4yrs.Ok I was at work and needed another shirt because mine had holes in it and these are the shirts we work in,got the shirt switched and was going to pay for it when the store open but I rush off to lunch and forgot to pay and left the store.Then loss prevention said it was shoplifting.But it was just a honest mistake,I been working there a year, if I wanted to steal something I would have been done by then,and it wouldn't be a $9.99 shirt... any body can answer do think I would get time in jail...

Sorry Guys I Meant To Say These Are Not Related To The 1st And 2nd Incident,now If It Was Then I Could Understand Jail Time Because It Would Be My 3rd Time Doing The Same Thing,I'm Saying This Is A Ist Shoplifting Incident.nothing Else Is On My Record But The First 2 And Now This Is On It ,remember I Don't Have Along History In Crminal Activity,hell I Never Been In Jail Ever.so Do You Think The Judge Would Probably Give Restitition For A $9.99 Shirt

Again I Messed Up, I Meant To To Say Their Was Nothing Else On My Record But The 2 School Incidents 4yrs. Ago,I've Clean For 4 Yrs.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,anybody Somebody>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>answer...
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 10:43 AM
    What part of all these incidents were shoplifting crimes? All of them. You will just have to wait for the judge to sentence you to really know the outcome. We can't really tell you just what the judge will rule, but more than likely it will not be jail time for a misdemeanor shoplifting crime if that is the answer you are seeking. It will probably be probation and restitution and also a fine.

Also taking anything without paying for it regardless if you were in school or working at the store is shoplifting and theft so how could Judy and I get this wrong? Answer: We didn't.
    -

Feb 6, 2008, 10:55 AM
    Twinkie,I'm saying it is different kinds of thefts ,shoplifting means your in a store shopping and you take something.I'm saying that I never shoplifted before... my 1st offense by mistake. The one with the shirt is shoplifting... Now the incident at the school I wasn't charge with shoplifting because it was not at store it was just stealing.the did'nt put shoplifting on the ticket nor my record... but on the one from the store the why diput theft/shopliftting .I think they are different,if the ones from the schoolwas to happen a third time then I would agree with time, but I'm thingking sense over a $9.99 shirt,I don't know about jail time I probably could see probation,but would ineed a lawyer

Twinkie<<<<<<thier are different thefts right,shoplifting isn't the same as stealing outside of a store that's what I'm saying,the two I had before this shoplifting charge was theft stealing,that was on my ticket ,but the one I got now say theft./shoplifting it is a difference that what I'm saying.I know they are all thefts,but I'm trying to say if you do somethingand the same thing 3 or 4 times,then you go to jail,I know that, but I;m saying this theft is a shoplifting theft 1st offense on that type of theft that's what I'm asking ,do youy think the judge would consider all 3 thefts under the same catergory or do you think he would look to see what kind and how many times that's what I'm saying
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jodeci
    twinkie<<<<<<thier are different thefts right,shoplifting isn't the same as stealing outside of a store that's what i'm saying,the two i had before this shoplifting charge was theft stealing,that was on my ticket ,but the one i got now say theft./shoplifting it is a difference that what i'm saying.i know they are all thefts,but i'm trying to say if you do somethingand the same thing 3 or 4 times,then you go to jail,i know that, but i;m saying this theft is a shoplifting theft 1st offense on that type of theft that's what i'm asking ,do youy think the judge would consider all 3 thefts under the same catergory or do you think he would look to see what kind and how many times that's what i'm saying

I can't speak for Twinkie (as you call her) but I'm bored with this whole thread. My feeling is she might be, too.

Bottom line - taking other people's property is stealing whether it's shoplifting or grab and run. The Judge is not going to see categories of theft - you have stolen twice as in "you have stolen two times."

Now it's up to the Judge -
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 6, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Judy's right. The bottom line here is you got caught stealing. You also have a history of stealing. The amount or nature of the thefts is a minor factor. The judge will weigh all that when sentencing. But there is no way we can predict what they will do.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 05:04 PM
    Ok, you did not mean to steal it, the court is not going to believe you, the jury is not going to believe you, so you can say you did not mean to, but hoenstly it is not going to help, the judge and jury will believe you wanted to steal it and meant to.

Now if you are on probation?? If your probation officer does not violate you, most likely you need to hire an attorney, work out a deal for a fine, paying the store back plus store fee's and most liekly get some probation time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft 1, first offense.what to expect [ 6 Answers ]

I was caught stealing $1000 dollars from my job over a couple months time. A cop came, arrested me and took me to a holding cell where within a couple hours was fingerprinted and had mug shots taken and then was released. I already spoke with the loss prevention team at my job prior to being...

Theft, fraud over $5000 (repeat offense) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know what the possible punishment for a repeat offense of theft over $5000. The first offense I was given a conditional sentence, and I made a bad choice and did something similar. I would really appreciate anyone's opinion and/or experience in this matter.

1st Offense ever theft over $5000 [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to be charged with stealing money from work using credit card refunds to my personal account. The total is over 5k and under 20k. I have only been arrested before for a dui. I think I can pay it all back before I get charged. What am I looking at as far as being arrested. I live in...

Theft under 5000, second offense [ 3 Answers ]

Three years ago, I got caught shoplifting a package of beef jerky. I was charged with theft under 5000. It was my first offense, and with a lawyer's help, successfully pleaded not guilty. I have no criminal record currently. I had to attend an anti-shoplifting seminar, write a report on it, as...

View more questions Search