Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Treeny Posts: 229, Reputation: 20

Aug 16, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Caught stealing makeup at K-Mart
    My daughter got caught stealing makeup at K- mart , it's the first time, she had just turned 18. But they sent me a letter from a law firm for K-mart that we had to pay a 500.00 fine.
    We did not pay it and will not. This was separate from the court , at court they gave her a
    Number to call to schedule a behavior class, she did and is scheduled to go in sep, her court date is in nov, does any one know what will happen and if we will get in trouble for not paying the fine issued to us being that she was 18 at the time? And it was not issued to her
    So I would think she would not be responsible to pay it. And what if it was and kids don't have the means of paying such a fine then what?
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 08:59 AM
    They didn't state their was a fine to be paid when she went to court? I find that surprising usually there is a fine associated with most petty thefts.

I would also just not pay it. If it was part of the courts ruling she could get in big trouble.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 16, 2007, 09:03 AM
    You don't say where you are, but in Canada there is case law that ALLOWS stores to charge a penalty fee as a deterrant against theft. If the fine is not paid, they can file a civil suit to collect.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 04:07 PM
    It sounds like they sent YOU (the parent) the letter demanding money.

These actions were committed by your child, but she was an ADULT (you said 18 at the time).

Therefore, they have no right to ask YOU, the parent of an adult child, for a single penny.

I would pay them nothing.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 09:28 PM
    I agree with the others. You have no obligation to pay anything until the court orders it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I got caught stealing: I'm 18 [ 6 Answers ]

I got caught stealing yesterday and I am 18. I stole 270 worth of clothing from Von Maur and they told me they would not put me in jail. They gave me a misdeamenor and this is my first offense. I am very scared about the consequences of the outcome of the court and need some advice on how to...

Break Up and Makeup [ 2 Answers ]

New problem now... I have been with my boyfriend for 8 months, in April he broke up with me for 2 weeks, because he said he was not ready for a relationship, he said he made a big mistake and we got back together. Now he has done it again because he said he was tired of having a constant annoyance...

Wal Mart [ 3 Answers ]

How is Wal Mart a hindrance to our economy? (meaning how is it bad for our economy.. needing to exaplin in detail.)

Wal-mart [ 3 Answers ]

I need to find the answer to this question as soon as possible WalMart companies sell more of these than anyone else in America, even people who make it their business to sell ONLY these. What is it? Please help

Mineral Makeup? [ 2 Answers ]

I just recently heard about this. What do you know about it and what brands are best? Thanks

View more questions Search