Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scott44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2007, 05:49 AM
    Statute of limitations
    I was married in thailand and moved to canada, my wife left me and never saw her for 10 years, the question is, am I still legally married or am I free to marry again ? Without getting devorce in canada, is their a statute of limitations when you cannot find her, please help
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jul 27, 2007, 09:18 AM
    You are still married.Ask the court and get divorce immediately.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jul 28, 2007, 03:18 PM
    Comments on this post
    Lowtax4eva agrees: Yes, good idea, if discovered by the government of Canada after you re-marry you could face fines and jail time

By the way it is possible for you to have 5-6 'legal" children :D :D :D
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 28, 2007, 04:01 PM
    Statute of Limitation refers to the time limit that legal remedies can be sought. Marriage vows generally are "til death do you part". So, unitl you legally end the marriage, you are still legally married.

It sounds like this may have been a marriage of convenience to get your wife out of Thailand. Therefore you might be able to get an annulment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 28, 2007, 05:09 PM
    The SOL is death, so if you or her die, the other is free to marry.

Once married, you will need to get a divorce.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of Limitations [ 3 Answers ]

Where can I go to find what the statute of limitations for provincial offenses and federal offenses? Example: Failure to appear, failure to complete probation (provincial) Possession of drug paraphernalia (federal) Thank you in advance

Statute of Limitations? [ 10 Answers ]

In the Summer of 1972 I worked as a waitress at one of the local cafes. There were 10 employees who worked there during that time. All was well until the beginning of November when we did not receive a paycheck. The owner said he had some rough spots but we would be paid. He said that in...

Statute of Limitations [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I had a car loan in New Jersey, I lost my job and came to Ontario. I couldn't pay the payments after I came to Canada. I had the car parked in NJ, I asked the bank to repossess it. They sold it for less. Now they are after me for the money. I want to pay them in full, but in monthly payments,...

View more questions Search