Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bonita209 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Car accident-no insurance.jail time?
    This past August, I was in a car wreck with a van from a rental company. The day of the accident, I was issued two tickets-no drivers license and no insurance
    The police report states that I failed to yield the left turn.

Two months after the accident, I received a call from the rental van's company. The operator left a message wanting my insurance info.
    I did not call back and no one has called me back.
    The identification card I showed to the officer had an old address on it that
    I do not live at anymore.
    My court date to pay the tickets is feb. 2008... I am going to pay the tickets before then to avoid going to court. I paid $2500 out of pocket to fix my car.
    My question is... is there any reason why there would be an arrest warrant for me?
    Is there any way that I could be sent to jail?
    And when I do apply for a license... will it be denied since the accident is on my record?
    Please help.. anyone
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 28, 2007, 11:28 AM
    I doubt if an arrest warrant would be issued as long as you answer the summonses properly. But I wouldn't count on the rental van's company forgetting about you. They have the license number of your car. Fromt that they should be able to trace you. They will then sue you for the damages to their vehicle.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Hello bonita:

I'd like to answer your questions. But, in order to give you an answer that you can COUNT on, you need to answer a couple of my questions first. Didn't you have to show the rental company a current drivers license? Why didn't you show THAT license to the cop? Is there something about that license that we need to know?

excon
    mikehoffman8 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Nov 28, 2007, 02:08 PM
    You got a court date, that's your indicator that your not getting a warrant. I wouldn'tve spent the 2500 on your cars repair until your licnce & accident matters were rsolved. If you have that kind of money or you need to drive that badly (importantly) why don't you have yor licence? Dmv's automated system is efficient enough to alert you of impending problems without commitment on your part (your not talking to an actual person). The court upon seeing you got a licence or are in process would be favorable. Since you repaired your vehicle you obviously are still driving or... THAT they will not like. The courts like to see leg work, that is ,what are you doing to remedy the wrongdoing. The more leg work, the more favorable they are with their deciscion towards you. I'm sensing the company or DRIVER is not legit somehow, because they would be in complete contact with you. It's been over 3 months, something is amiss on Their part.You gave your tele # reverse directory would give your address & you would have been summoned to small claims court (not ciminal court). Get your licence meanwhile or don't drive. If you got a court date your name is good so why no licence ? Bottom line you didn't hit & run which wouldve been criminal court, they have to take you to small claims court first (cival) so no warrant could possibly be issued towards you, & the automated system (DMV) will not let you make an appointment if your name was no good. Please updat me on how tyhis all turns out , since I took time to involve myself. Good luck &thanxx:cool:
    lilred40 Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

Nov 28, 2007, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bonita209
    this past august, i was in a car wreck with a van from a rental company. the day of the accident, i was issued two tickets-no drivers license and no insurance
    the police report states that i failed to yield the left turn.

two months after the accident, i received a call from the rental van's company. the operator left a message wanting my insurance info.
    i did not call back and no one has called me back.
    the identification card i showed to the officer had an old address on it that
    i do not live at anymore.
    my court date to pay the tickets is feb. 2008...i am going to pay the tickets before then to avoid going to court. i payed $2500 out of pocket to fix my car.
    my question is...is there any reason why there would be an arrest warrant for me?
    is there any way that i could be sent to jail?
    and when i do apply for a license...will it be denied since the accident is on my record?
    please help..anyone
    I don't know about an arrest warrant, but I can tell you this... back about 11 years ago, I got pulled over for speeding, didn't have insurance, but had a license. Paid my $85 ticket, never thought anymore about it. Then, 5 months later, and 9 months pregnant, I get pulled over again for no bumper on my vehicle. Come to find out, that I had a warrant cause I didn't have insurance, back when I got my speeding ticket. I had to go to court, pay a hefty fine, 3 days in jail (suspended), and was on non-report probation for a year. You'll need to provide the information back that far, if you had a license, and insurance at the time of the accident. That's the only thing that could help you out of a hefty fine and re-instatement fees.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 28, 2007, 05:53 PM
    You should not be able to get your drivers license until you pay for all of the damages to the others persons vechile. Normally they will file a motion in court barring you from getting a license. Also after this is clear, normally they will want a court filing to prove you have insurance before they will issue a license.

If you have not had an attorney during all of this, you need one
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 07:34 PM
    If you pay the tickets then I don't see why an arrest warrant would be issued. Arrest warrants are usually issued as a result of failure to pay fines.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Didn't you have to show the rental company a current drivers license? Why didn't you show THAT license to the cop?
    I think that the other driver had the rental van - not the OP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Involved in accident without insurance but she had insurance [ 12 Answers ]

I live in PA. An older lady hit my car per the police report it states that she turned directly into my driverside of my car as I had the right of way. My car was damaged & I was hurt. I contacted my insurance company they told me my policy cancelled 3 days before the accident but its OK now...

No jail time [ 6 Answers ]

I have to do for days in jail for a owi an I'm wondering if I can get a doctoers order saying I need to be in r5 a mental ward receveing treatment an consoling for my depression for a few days instead of being in jail if I can get out of it ?

More Probation time or Jail Time? [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently on 3-year probation for , identity theft in the third, 3 counts of reckless endangerment-2nd,false written statement and reckless driving and leaving the scene. The driving charges are separate from the Identity theft charge. Recently two detectives came to my home questioning me in...

How much jail time do you get for: [ 1 Answers ]

How much jail time do you get for violation probation and get caught in a stolen car?

Jail time [ 1 Answers ]

How much time must somebody serve for a sentence robbery with a dangerous weapon he go 20 yrs 11 suspended and its under Maryland article section subsection 3-403 how many years must he do and on a use of a handgun in commission/ felony 5years under article section subsection 4-204 I need to know...

View more questions Search