How can a person who has been appointed a public defender change public defenders? My brother is in jail and awaiting trail. His public defender wants him to plead guilty because he doesn't want to do any work on the case. My brother wants to get another public defender to represent him, can he do this or because he has no money does he have to keep an incompetent, lazy attorney? If he can change how does go about doing this?