Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Jacki336's Avatar
    Jacki336 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2
    New Member

    Jan 31, 2007, 09:27 AM
    Incorrect info or is it right?
    I am 17, and have been trying to find a sure answer on a question for a while. My boyfriend is 21, and I was wondering if my parents found out we were sexually active, I they could 1) press charges and if they can, then 2) if they can press charges against my will. I live in Michigan, and I read that once you turn 17, as long as the other person is within 5 years of your age, it's not considered illegal. I've been trying to figure out if this was the truth or not. I'm not here to be criticized for dating an older man, or listening to someone telling me he's using me. I would just really appreciate if someone could tell me if what I read was the correct information or not. Thanks!:)
    RubyPitbull's Avatar
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

    Jan 31, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Jackie, I am not a lawyer and do not know anything about Michigan laws. But, until one of the legal advisors signs on, here are a couple of websites that you might want look at. Please read the postings very carefully. It will give you a lot to think about.

    Legal age of Consent for sex/dating in Michigan - Labor Law Talk

    Age of Consensual Sex in the USA

    I am by no means going to lecture you on this. The only thing I will say is that from the sound of your question, you parents seem to be protective of you. Please consider their reaction carefully, even if you find out that the age of consent is 17. It sound like it doesn't matter how old you are, they will be greatly disturbed if they find out their "little girl" is having a sexual relationship. They might try to find some other legal or illegal way to get at your boyfriend. You need to ask yourself these questions, "Is it worth the hassle of my parents freaking out over this?" and, even if you have protected sex to make sure you don't get any diseases or pregnant, there is always the chance this can still occur. So, if you become pregnant accidentally, are you ready to take on the responsibility of a child or an abortion? Either way, it is an emotionally draining and devastating thing to have to deal with at your age, much less any other age. Please just give this stuff some thought.

    Hope this helps in some way.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Jan 31, 2007, 10:27 AM
    There are many ways to get things done beside statutory rape, you have aiding to the deliquentcy of a minor, this can be used for a lot of activities for minors ( under 18) and is what many parents have used if they can't prove the sexual activitity or what DA's sometimes plea down to so it is not a sex crime for those who are just dating and near the same age.

    You have interference with the custody of the minor if they tell you not to see him and you go somewhere with him.

    While laws change, the search I did this monring did show 17 as a legal age of consent in Mich.

    While they may not get him on rape charges, if you see him against their permission, they can find other charges to have put against him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need some info [ 3 Answers ]

Hello; What website , can I go 2 , for senior citizens . Thank you Joseph21

Keyboard buttons incorrect [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Asus A6Tc ( ). I have discovered that although all the alphabetical letters enter correctly, a lot of the numbers and symbols don't. The key right of 'L' and left of 'enter' has an '@' symbol on its upper half....

Incorrect wiring [ 4 Answers ]

When contractor installed the gas furnece, he did not connect the wires from Central A/C to the furnece. I connected two wires white and red coming from A/C unit to the furnece, the AC unit works but the blower fan of the furnece does not go on. I just need your help to figure out how many wires...

Wrong Info on W-2 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My name and social security number are incorrect on my W-2. Should I file as is and make any attachments of proof? Any help would be great

J: not accessible. Parameter is incorrect. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I recently bought a Maxtor 200 gig 7200rpm DiamondMax 9 SATA 6Y200MO, and partioned it using the maxtor software into 2x 100gig partions, to find out that after copying files to one section of the partion they all corruppted and now the hdd displays this message, J: not accessible. Parameter...

View more questions Search