I am writing for a friend of mine, both of us are interested in eventually purchasing property in Canada together. I have a misdemeanor for being an environmental activist performing an illegal act; my friend is a released felon for selling marijuana several years ago.

My friend told me he heard that a U.S. citizen who committed a felony (after serving time) is not allowed entry into Canada (even to visit) unless they receive a special permit.

Is this true, and if so what is the permit called and where can it be obtained?

Is a special VISA required for a U.S. (X-felon) touring Canada?

Is there also such a requirement for a misdemeanor visiting Canada?