Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    guardashes's Avatar
    guardashes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 17, 2008, 05:18 PM
    How do you move to another state while on first offender probation?
    I'm on first offender and I'm wanting to move to a state that does not recognize that law. Is it possible to do this?
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,269, Reputation: 7689

    Jun 17, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Go to the probation office, ask for their permission, normally in writing, provide them the info as to where you will move to, address, what job you will be doing there. Give them time to process.
    JimGunther's Avatar
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38
    Full Member

    Jun 28, 2008, 10:33 PM
    What law are you talking about? The one you were convicted of? If that's what you mean, it doesn't matter if they recognize the law or not as you are required to obey the conditions of the probation you were placed on in the state where the offense occurred. In addition to what was said above, you will need to make some phone calls and establish some ties in the state you want to go to, as the previous responder said, have some work and residence ties set up to the best extent that you can. Speak to the probation authorities in the state you want to go to and get some idea of what their policies are. And stay in compliance, no one gets transferred if they are in violation of their probation.
    Tippmeister's Avatar
    Tippmeister Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 17, 2008, 01:42 PM
    Does anyone know the procedure of getting of probation. All I have to do is mail a piece of paper in now. Do they call you? Do they just send you a letter of what?
    JimGunther's Avatar
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38
    Full Member

    Jul 18, 2008, 11:48 AM
    You can get off probation if the judge approves it. There must be a good reason to do so, because once the judge imposes a probation with a fixed expiration date, he needs a reason to alter the decision he originally made based on the factors present at the time.

    From your statements, I assume you are sending a letter to the state that placed you on probation and are now living in the new state. When I was a PO we required such letters from people (called report forms) that were designed to keep us informed of a probationer's status when their case had been transferred to another state. We also received reports from the probation office in the new state.

    If you want to have your probation ended early, write the judge and give him some good reasons as to why he should do so. Probation officers do not have the power to alter any probation conditions imposed by a judge.

    In my state, when a probation case expired at its normal expiration date, we would tell the person at their last office visit that they did not have to come in any more, or if you are living in another state, you should receive a letter from the PO telling you not to send any more forms. If the judge ends probation early, the PO will receive a copy of the judge's decision and should advise you by mail. If you don't hear anything in either case, wait a reasonable amount of time and contact the PO.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On probation and need to move out of state [ 7 Answers ]

I am on probation for misdeamnor and I live in Kansas and my husband lives in Iowa. I want to move to be with him and I have been getting the run around for a year a half now and they won't let me move. What can I do.

Probation questions. NYS Youthful Offender [ 10 Answers ]

So, my PO has done 2 "random" searches this year, never did any the first 3.5 years of my probation. The first time they came, they found some bullets( no gun) that belonged to a friend.. They also found a bb gun, which is a toy. My Po told me to get rid of the bullets, so I did. We went over...

Sex-offender wants to move on [ 5 Answers ]

Right now I just got out of prison for the dumbest sex charge.I'm 22 years old and I'm trying to move on with my life by complying with the probation.I understand that a sex charge is the most hated right now but I need a job and no one will even give me a chance to show them that I was and still...

Can wife move out of state with child after divorce and residency in state [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I are living in Ohio, have been residents for 9 months and have a 14 month old child. If we divorce and she would get custody, could she ever move out of the state

Job needs me to move out of state but on probation. [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, so I'm needed to move out of state VERY QUICKLY to another state for my job but I'm currently on probation here in AZ. My PO has said that it's possible to get the probation transferred, but that that process could take up to 6 months. I need this done in about 2 weeks. Are they are any options...

View more questions Search