Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask

    I fear my neighbors are smoking meth in their condo which leaks into my home

    Asked Jan 14, 2008, 03:47 AM — 30 Answers
    I have a huge dilemma. I need advise, please. This is what I smell outside my neighbors house, and inside my house? I smell FRSSH PAINT... always on the outside of their home. Then at certain regular times of the day and evening and ALL WEEKEND, my house has an odor of sick medicinal sweet sick vanilla tobacco cover up is the first incoming odor to let you know what is about to hit you. It is also seems to be the last thin g you smell unless you go outside then you smell the difference of the freshness outside and the pollutant inside it always hits me as very overwhelming. Immediately after the vanilla tobacco smell then there is a blast of burrning rubber or very strong verathane and this very burnt rubber sick sweet odor all at once. I get a burning feeling my nose, my eyes, I get dizzy and nausious. My daughter smells it usually as does my son my husband claims to not smell anything except the outside paint odor and he says he regularly smells it in front of their house. The security guard practically got knocked over from the odor the first night we noticed it.

    I have impaired lungs a low immunity system, often as low as 2's in the leukopenic levels, and I worry about those kids over there especially. But what if I am wrong? I do not want to start trouble. Or get into trouble for filing a potential false report? Would that happen? Is it really confidential reporting? What if they find out I am the one if I decide to do it? I just do not know how to deal with this... PLEASE advise.

    I actually liked them not like I wanted to invite them to dinner but as neighbors they are the nicest we have. Too bad their house and ours touch and we have to smell this. We did not have this issue until they moved in at all!

    Do I have anything to worry about? Is this doing harm to us? I am certain it is hurting the kids. If they want to do it to themselves and I know it definitely will hurt them and their lives and probably their kids if they keep it up. But that is their business, but if it is affecting my lungs or anything then I have to take some sort of action.

    I am trying to be completely honest here as can I do the right thing. I am bothered by the odor and the way it makes me feel and I do not want to carry any need to be angry if it is cool and if it is not bringing harm to us or the kids. Actually it sort of also smells like kerosine gasoline or something that is very vile to me.

    Do I call child protective services and report what I suspect? What advice can you give me? I do not want them to know it was me. They know we are concerned about the paint odor and all that and have become secretive with us since they have known that. When they first moved in they were more friendly now they really stay to themselves and keep their so called curtains "sheets" kerosine to the walls closed on the downstairs except to get out the sliding door.

    I am a MMJ patient and know they partake in herbs also we've discussed it. They are not legal as far as California law stands. I am and am have downstairs reasons for needing it. I have Hep C and had T.B. and back surgery plus they want me to have neck surgery for deuterating disks in my spine. I do not want to do another surgery so I do the best I can on my meds and working at pace. I work for myself so I am home all day and have to deal with this odor all day. I am worried for my health and my families. My husband had a heart attack about 6 months ago. Health I go out side to get the mail or water the plants and come back in I get shocked that I can handel the odor it's medical like sort of but dirty not clean. Then at the same time like acetone or alcohol. I hate to be the kettle balling the pot black. This is very distressing for me to go through these feelings all the days.

    Thanks in advance for listening.
    Evart:confused:

    Last edited by evart; Jan 14, 2008 at 03:54 AM.
    Search this Question
    Share |
    30 Answers
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,478, Reputation: 2990
    Uber Member
     
    #2

    Jan 14, 2008, 08:48 AM
    Hello Evart:

    Even if you call the cops, they won't do anything unless they have more than a neighbor who smells something. Same with CPS.

    Why don't you knock on their door and ask them to stop whatever it is they're doing? You don't KNOW that what they're doing is illegal. What if they're tie dying old socks??

    What herbs are you talking about that you KNOW are illegal and that you know they use, and you yourself use? THAT might be a way, but probably not since you imbibe also.

    Maybe you should purchase an air exchanger/purifier/smell cleaner kind of thing.

    excon
    Helpful
    JudyKayTee's Avatar
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,506, Reputation: 4594
    Uber Member
     
    #3

    Jan 14, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by evart
    I have a huge dilemma. I need advise, please. This is what I smell outside my neighbors house, and inside my house? I smell FRSSH PAINT...always on the outside of their home. Then at certain regular times of the day and evening and ALL WEEKEND, my house has an odor of sick medicinal sweet sick vanilla tobacco cover up is the first incoming odor to let you know what is about to hit you. It is also seems to be the last thin g you smell unless you go outside then you smell the difference of the freshness outside and the pollutant inside it always hits me as very overwhelming. Immediately after the vanilla tobacco smell then there is a blast of burrning rubber or very strong verathane and this very burnt rubber sick sweet odor all at once. I get a burning feeling my nose, my eyes, I get dizzy and nausious. My daughter smells it usually as does my son my husband claims to not smell anything except the outside paint odor and he says he regularly smells it in front of their house. The security guard practically got knocked over from the odor the first night we noticed it.

    I have impaired lungs a low immunity system, often as low as 2's in the leukopenic levels, and I worry about those kids over there especially. But what if I am wrong? I do not want to start trouble. Or get into trouble for filing a potential false report? Would that happen? Is it really confidential reporting? What if they find out I am the one if I decide to do it? I just do not know how to deal with this...PLEASE advise.

    I actually liked them not like I wanted to invite them to dinner but as neighbors they are the nicest we have. Too bad their house and ours touch and we have to smell this. We did not have this issue until they moved in at all!

    Do I have anything to worry about? Is this doing harm to us? I am certain it is hurting the kids. If they want to do it to themselves and I know it definitely will hurt them and their lives and probably their kids if they keep it up. But that is their business, but if it is affecting my lungs or anything then I have to take some sort of action.

    I am trying to be completely honest here as can I do the right thing. I am bothered by the odor and the way it makes me feel and I do not want to carry any need to be angry if it is cool and if it is not bringing harm to us or the kids. Actually it sort of also smells like kerosine gasoline or something that is very vile to me.

    Do I call child protective services and report what I suspect? What advice can you give me? I do not want them to know it was me. They know we are concerned about the paint odor and all that and have become secretive with us since they have known that. When they first moved in they were more friendly now they really stay to themselves and keep their so called curtains "sheets" kerosine to the walls closed on the downstairs except to get out the sliding door.

    I am a MMJ patient and know they partake in herbs also we've discussed it. They are not legal as far as California law stands. I am and am have downstairs reasons for needing it. I have Hep C and had T.B. and back surgery plus they want me to have neck surgery for deuterating disks in my spine. I do not want to do another surgery so I do the best I can on my meds and working at pace. I work for myself so I am home all day and have to deal with this odor all day. I am worried for my health and my families. My husband had a heart attack about 6 months ago. health I go out side to get the mail or water the plants and come back in I get shocked that I can handel the odor it's medical like sort of but dirty not clean. Then at the same time like acetone or alcohol. I hate to be the kettle balling the pot black. This is very distressing for me to go through these feelings all the days.

    Thanks in advance for listening.
    Evart:confused:
    I think I'd just step next door and tell them whatever they are doing bothers you and could they purchase fans or air cleaners or something - ? How far away from these people are you? Or you could always move.

    (I'm having my kitchen painted as I type this; I'd be unhappy if my neighbor decided something was going on and called the authorities.)
    Helpful
    evart's Avatar
    evart Posts: 14, Reputation: -3
    New Member
     
    #4

    Jan 16, 2008, 07:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello Evart:

    Even if you call the cops, they won't do anything unless they have more than a neighbor who smells something. Same with CPS.

    Why don't you knock on their door and ask them to stop whatever it is they're doing? You don't KNOW that what they're doing is illegal. What if they're tie dying old socks???

    What herbs are you talking about that you KNOW are illegal and that you know they use, and you yourself use? THAT might be a way, but probably not since you imbibe also.

    Maybe you should purchase an air exchanger/purifier/smell cleaner kinda thing.

    excon

    From your Avatar you appear to be comfortable behind bars so I don't take anything you say as valid your attacking me because I am being honest? I am looking for answer that are wise and informed. Read your content. What I am asking asking for help with is a serious issue and this is a serious question. What is imbibe? I have typos also but I can not figure that one out?

    By the way, Cannabis is LEGAL in California to use if a licensed doctor thinks it will help you, they can write you a recommendation allowing you to both grow it and use it. I had the police here and fire dept and they had electronic meters that could tell them what had been in the air for the past few hours if not more. Not one word was mentioned to me about cannabis and I had used it fairly close to when they came over. I have no issues with this at all and if you do too bad get used to it! more and more states are passing similar laws. I use cannabis and am also well educated amnd an educator. So your perception is way succeed by your emotional feelings about that. And have been honored in many ways for my achievements so you can not knock me down. The herb I speak of is... cannabis! WOW I am a bad bad person who uses drugs right? Grow up!!

    They picked up paint outside and in my house vanilla tobaco odor by my home or in my home. Nothng else. They also did not come for a long time after our complaint. They explained when something enters a house it can be through vents and without blue print plans of the unts it is hard to say who we share venting systems with. It may not be our direct neighbor they said also. They are the only unit of all three we are connected to that did not call back the office about the odor nor did these answer the door for the security guards, or for the fire dept. They were home, security and the fire dept knew that, but could not make them come to the door.

    I'd love to use our air purifier the Ionic Breeze is AWESOME for odors and dust but many people can not use them. Mine almost killed my bird and makes my skin mutate. They cause free radicals and I have hep C and impared lungs from T.B. My vet said most people don't ever realize their bird is ill let alone catch the illness from the air purifiers. Birds can not handle free radicals at all, it kills them. Ionic Breeze knows their product is dangerous and came out with a "so called fix" for it but it still is too dangerous for either of us to live with. I loved it though having little to no dust... NO odors, I was in heaven. But my body did not agree and I am worried about my body here. I would love to know they would not be offended if I asked. I just fear asking I would not want to be accused of something I was not doing. If I were doing it, it would probably make me hide it even more. Especially if it were illeagle, not being an illeagle acting person I can only speculate what I would do if I were caught doing it.

    Thanks for your response but I am loking for someone who knows meth! I'd like to speak to someone willling to speak about it and not act like a jerk and that everyone is aganst you and you get all protective of them because you do it yourself. EVERYONE has issues of some sort with major drugs help only comes when they themselves want it. I do not think they would want to harm anyone either and for that reason if I knew them better they probably would just get a machine for their house. I hate this distrust as anger and hatred are the possible outcomes. I want nothiong more than to speak to them and not report it that is why I hoped someoned who knew about it could guide me into how not to frighten them, offend them and still make them understand it's not safe for us but to please figure out a way to not let the smoke get into our home.

    Thanks
    Helpful
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 80,622, Reputation: 7627
    Expert
     
    #5

    Jan 16, 2008, 08:00 PM


    In defense of excon, he has more common sense answers than many and has a lot ( a whole lot) of experince in what police and government will or won't do.

    As a police officer I an tell you that smell alone is not probable cause to get a warrant. So you do need to knock on their door and see it and then be willing to testify to this, to the officers.

    So you go talk to them, tell them it is hurting your health and if they don't stop you will have to call the police.
    Helpful
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,478, Reputation: 2990
    Uber Member
     
    #6

    Jan 16, 2008, 09:19 PM
    Hello again, evart:

    I told you what the law is. I suggested you speak with your neighbors. I didn't attack you. I haven't a clue where you're coming from.

    I heard pot makes you paranoid. Now I believe it.

    excon
    Helpful
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,478, Reputation: 2990
    Uber Member
     
    #7

    Jan 16, 2008, 09:34 PM
    Hello again, evart:

    Nahhh. I'm going to add some stuff. I DO know about meth. I DO know what it smells like. I DO know what scary people methamphetamine addicts are. I DO know about medical marijuana.

    NONE of that changes the law or my recommendations.

    excon

    PS> The word "imbibe" is in the dictionary. It shouldn't be too hard for an educated person like yourself to look it up.
    Helpful
    twinkiedooter's Avatar
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member
     
    #8

    Jan 17, 2008, 05:44 PM
    I agree with you dear. Meth cooking smells horrible. What you are describing has all the ear marks of cooking. The stench from meth is unforgettable. If you do go to the neighbors and they actually let you in their home or have the door open long enough, if they actually are cooking meth, believe me, you'll know it in a heartbeat. Your head will feel like you've gotten the biggest rush ever (and this will make pot pale by comparison, believe me). If you think you can stay "annonymous" when reporting your neighbor, guess again. You essentially can't. From what I gathered from your post they already suspect that you know they are doing something but can't figure out just what.

    I can understand you being home all day and having to put up with the obnoxious smells is not fun by any means. Having impared lung capacity means that anything can and will cause you extreme problems. Your description of eyes, nose, dizzy and nauseaus means that there is a chemical process going on that is an irritant of some kind. Meth cooking causes an irritant to be put into the air. Your being dizzy means that you are reacting to the meth and getting "high" - albeit a second hand high.

    You said this was a condo. Have you addressed the condo board about the stench yet? Condos have some pretty strange rules and it sounds like they just broke a rule - annoying smells eminating from their unit.

    Have you spoken to the drug task force about this? They are trained to "smell" meth cooking. The fact you said you had the police and fire dept over is great. The fact the neighbors did not open the door to see what the commotion was clearly gives me the signal that they are doing something wrong. I've had "cookers of meth" live near me in the past and I know first hand what it smells like. Certainly not violets.

    You did not mention their habits. Do they go to work on a regular basis? If they leave for work does the stench still emanate from their house? Do they have people over that stay for short period, say less than 10 minutes? How long have they lived there? Did they do this from day one?
    Helpful
    JudyKayTee's Avatar
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,506, Reputation: 4594
    Uber Member
     
    #9

    Jan 18, 2008, 07:57 AM
    If they are, in fact, cooking meth I would have some concerns that they are going to blow up their house, your house and everyone in both houses.

    But I don't think you can do anything anonymously - which I believe you prefer to do - and once you make that phone call you are involved. I also never believe the "we'll keep you anonymous" line. I see people who think they are anonymous suddenly have their names handed out all the time.

    Not saying not to do it just a couple of quick thoughts -
    Helpful
    fde's Avatar
    fde Posts: 93, Reputation: -4
    Junior Member
     
    #10

    Jan 19, 2008, 06:59 PM
    Look people that are using are not in any kind of mind frame to walk over and talk to! And if they have a lab then they are paranoid and don't care much about you if you know what I mean. I live in Canada so I don't know much what the cops there do but they have a duty to look into what you clam. Don't give them your name though because you would not think so but they will use your name if they have egg on there face if it is nothing.
    I feel very bad for you! You are in danger with your home and the smells plus the gases that indeed do cross the path of just there property. The residue that stays in a home with a lab or use to have a lab can kill you and that is a fact!
    Please be careful how you talk to them, If they are cooking meth they are on Meth and that makes them very unstable.
    I would embellish your story to the police to make them lessen. Like young children are coming and going at all hours, And you have felt high around your neighbours yard. You have smelt chemicals that actually burnt your nose. All that these lies will do is have someone's life looked into for a moment in time. Or bust a peace of... that is taking your life into there hand and that is a fact! Besides they would want someone busted for that if they are descent people.
    If you think it is only in bad areas that is far from true meth is on the rise in nice suburb places. They think in nice areas they won't get caught.
    I know of a story of a family who bought a home that had a meth lab in it. That couples 7 year old died of exposure. I worked there funeral and prepped a young man that looked like he aged 20 years from it. It took him less that 1 year to die from it. The father is unable to work because he has no lung capacity. The mother has lung cancer now and she wants to die to see her child she misses so much. I pre-booked her funeral she wants to be cremated ironic.
    Helpful
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,478, Reputation: 2990
    Uber Member
     
    #11

    Jan 20, 2008, 06:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fde
    I would embellish your story to the police to make them lessen.
    Helo fde:

    This is the law board. We don't tell people to lie to the cops here. That's a crime. You can go to jail for filing a false police report.

    Besides that, lying to get these people arrested, when you have absolutely no clue what they're doing, is a low down NASTY thing to do!!

    excon
    Helpful (2)
    JudyKayTee's Avatar
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,506, Reputation: 4594
    Uber Member
     
    #12

    Jan 20, 2008, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fde
    Look people that are using are not in any kind of mind frame to walk over and talk to! And if they have a lab then they are paranoid and don't care much about you if you know what I mean. I live in Canada so I don't know much what the cops there do but they have a duty to look into what you clam. Don't give them your name though because you would not think so but they will use your name if they have egg on there face if it is nothing.
    I feel very bad for you! You are in danger with your home and the smells plus the gases that indeed do cross the path of just there property. The residue that stays in a home with a lab or use to have a lab can kill you and that is a fact!
    Please be careful how you talk to them, If they are cooking meth they are on Meth and that makes them very unstable.
    I would embellish your story to the police to make them lessen. Like young children are coming and going at all hours, And you have felt high around your neighbours yard. You have smelt chemicals that actually burnt your nose. All that these lies will do is have someone's life looked into for a moment in time. Or bust a peace of ... that is taking your life into there hand and that is a fact! Besides they would want someone busted for that if they are descent people.
    If you think it is only in bad areas that is far from true meth is on the rise in nice suburb places. They think in nice areas they wont get caught.
    I know of a story of a family who bought a home that had a meth lab in it. That couples 7 year old died of exposure. I worked there funeral and prepped a young man that looked like he aged 20 years from it. It took him less that 1 year to die from it. The father is unable to work because he has no lung capacity. The mother has lung cancer now and she wants to die to see her child she misses so much. I pre-booked her funeral she wants to be cremated ironic.

    Pardon me for shouting but EMBELLISH THE STORY TO THE POLICE TO MAKE THEM "LESSEN" (I assume you mean listen, but it did take me a minute)?

    And accuse the neighbors of endangering children ("young children are coming and going at all hours")?

    I am truly shocked that you would put yourself in the position of informant, Police, Judge and jury... and lie to get there!. when in fact you have absolutely no proof and a lot of suspicions.

    This is a good way for you to get arrested and sued - amazing. I have investigated a few false claims of child abuse and it's amazing how things turn around and the accuser is suddenly the accused.



    Absolutely amazing.

    (And everyone "knows of a story" involving drugs.)
    Helpful
    evart's Avatar
    evart Posts: 14, Reputation: -3
    New Member
     
    #13

    Jan 25, 2008, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again, evart:

    I told you what the law is. I suggested you speak with your neighbors. I didn't attack you. I haven't a clue where you're coming from.

    I heard pot makes you paranoid. Now I believe it.

    excon

    That's funny! Like I said grow up. If I were paronoid ask yourself if I would say all I said? NO come on the police officer said you were intellegent, I came up here to this site for my first time asking a serious question and you chew me out nice champ! To me this is serious help for my health and you have the nerve to say something to me like I partake big WHOP! But you are incorrect, I do not. I use medications period. I do not do illeagle drugs... period. Why not be that person who gives out the good advise as the police officer said you do. I suppose I touched a sore spot? My suggestion is if you have nothing useful to say or all you have to say or it s destructive or unkind why do it? Why not try to use what brain you have and stop trying to find fault or meaness in a person concerns. That's no way to greet someone. This was my first question up here. People use drugs for all kinds of reasons some due to bordom and then others to expand their mind, control pain or emotional pain, and or socially as well as a slue of other reasons.
    Thanks
    Helpful
    evart's Avatar
    evart Posts: 14, Reputation: -3
    New Member
     
    #14

    Jan 25, 2008, 07:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Pardon me for shouting but EMBELLISH THE STORY TO THE POLICE TO MAKE THEM "LESSEN" (I assume you mean listen, but it did take me a minute)?

    And accuse the neighbors of endangering children ("young children are coming and going at all hours")?

    I am truly shocked that you would put yourself in the position of informant, Police, Judge and jury ... and lie to get there! ... when in fact you have absolutely no proof and a lot of suspicions.

    This is a good way for you to get arrested and sued - amazing. I have investigated a few false claims of child abuse and it's amazing how things turn around and the accuser is suddenly the accused.



    Absolutely amazing.

    (And everyone "knows of a story" involving drugs.)
    What the heck are you talking about? Making a report to CPS is not filing a flase report it is a concerned neighbor! Take a chill pill you sound like you are a guilty person yourself! Wow what an attack because I am concerned for my health and my children's and husbands! You say unbelievable I say... YOU ARE ONE PARONOID PERSON... I SUPPOSE YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THIS> NOW I HAVE MADE AN ASSUMPTION. I asked questions earlier!! WHO TURNED YOU IN? And you are responding to someone with actual valid information for me, the person you quoted!! I would never embellish or mistell or go out of the area of the truth and what I know, have actually seen and or smell nothing more, nothing less. The truth is what is important not implications, aquazations or any of those sorts of things.
    Man I thought this would be a friendly place but I was wrong.
    Helpful
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 80,622, Reputation: 7627
    Expert
     
    #15

    Jan 25, 2008, 08:35 PM


    Evart, you did not property read or consider what was being said, JudyKayTree was not saying this to you, but to the other poster that suggested that you should lie and not tell the truth, she was telling HIM, not you, that his advice was wrong, and it was wrong to lie and not tell the truth.

    So her commits were not to you, but to the other poster ( if you take time and read without jumping the gun you would see this.
    And "friendly" well not always, but truthful and telling you facts that you may not want to here sometimes yes.

    You really owe Judy a "I am sorry" since you jumped at her when she was not addressing you.

    And the same to excons remarks, he again was talkng to the other poster who wanted you to lie.

    You are not taking time to follow the converstations going on. Each post is not always a answer to you, but the entire thread is a story, sometimes one person will reply to anothers post

    In these cases there was a poster on page one, (FDE) who suggetsted you call and lie to the police about all the bad things the people in that apartment was doing. So all of the posts you are ranting about was talking to FDE, not to you.

    And for some reason, you did not attack FDE for suggesting that you lie.
    Helpful
    evart's Avatar
    evart Posts: 14, Reputation: -3
    New Member
     
    #16

    Jan 25, 2008, 09:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again, evart:

    Nahhh. I'm gonna add some stuff. I DO know about meth. I DO know what it smells like. I DO know what scary people methamphetamine addicts are. I DO know about medical marijuana.

    NONE of that changes the law or my recommendations.

    excon

    PS> The word "imbibe" is in the dictionary. It shouldn't be too hard for an educated person like yourself to look it up.

    It means drink, I thought you were trying to say something else as you were talking about me doing something and I said nothig about drinking!! Why are you even butting in? You have nothing positive, useful, or anything to say. To me you are a troll looking for a fight have your fun jerk. Now Who is paranoid?

    WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING, ANYWAY? I AM TALKING/ASKING FOR HELP? Mind your own beezwax.

    So I suppose you know it all right, yeah. I know the type... has to answer for eveyones questions because they know everything about everything. Like I said GROW UP!! Paranoid.. I'd say so! Like the person said before the person making the compalint or ing or whatever is the one it falls back on, then and they become the perp. Man oh man your colors are a showing! Pretty sad.
    Helpful
    evart's Avatar
    evart Posts: 14, Reputation: -3
    New Member
     
    #17

    Jan 26, 2008, 12:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    If they are, in fact, cooking meth I would have some concerns that they are going to blow up their house, your house and everyone in both houses.

    But I don't think you can do anything anonymously - which I believe you prefer to do - and once you make that phone call you are involved. I also never believe the "we'll keep you anonymous" line. I see people who think they are anonymous suddenly have their names handed out all the time.

    Not saying not to do it just a couple of quick thoughts -

    Judy and others,

    Thanks for your help and answers. I realize now I was not answering the correct person and people. I remember trying and not being able to figure it out, I do not frequent any boards like this, so please accept my apologies.
    I meant nothing to you or the others who have given me valid information and have been kind to my plight and none accusing of me. I know now that mistakenly I answered a few people to my one topic.
    The ill messages from me are to the one person with the "know it all attitude" and considered me to be doing something wrong. Someone needs to wake up and smell the coffee.
    I have only come online when I get an email telling me someone answered me. I have not spent anytime investigating how to use the site and for that I am sorry. Is there a way for me to be notified of all responses in the question I asked? I thought that already would happen automatically.

    I have gotten very good information from some people telling me of the dangers and that is what I am concerned about. I am also hearing that are telling me that it is my business as it is my families health and it can not hurt to make a call.

    My understanding is no police will get involved unless the need to remove the kids comes from their (CPS’s) visit. "IF" they must remove them from the home, hopefully that won't happen and I will find out it is the pool chemicals or something! Perhaps the fire dept suggested that the air ducts could be shared in the building with someone several units away or it could be in the air floating to us and settling over our unit. Who knows and the odors could be coming from a different building all together? Better to be safe than sorry.

    The habits I see in the people in question are secretive they live behind closed blinds and sheets on windows in L/R. Their child is NEVER brought out of the house except in a stroller to go to the car. She says he is crawling and rocking. She said he is interested in everything so she should be having him touch the grass, see the rain, feel the wind, see the airplanes etc. It is sad to say that children who are not spoken to do not develop well in speech and other skills. I am an adult art educator, and took child development classes and art therapy. Sorry side tracked back to topic of their habits. During the week it is at certain times of the day mostly but she only goes to work a couple days a week. It smells all weekend long, that is the worst time and in the evening. No they do not have a lot of visitors. I do not think they are dealing. I think they are using; I did not even think about making it wow that is scary! The husband started to wear this great smelling VERY overpowering man's cologne. It is so strong that you can smell it after he is near (more than 150 feet away) for about ten minutes; this is entirely a new development that began like two days ago!! Beside if I smell it happening I go out to the porch so it does not burn so bad. I go back in when they are through inside they go out to smoke a cigarette. Now with this cologne you really smell it when their door opens rather then the other smell, it appears they were testing this out this evening with us, both my husband and daughter noticed.

    They barely speak to me much anymore I have to start conversation’s with them. When they first moved in about two months ago they were very friendly. I actually steered the security away from them and thought it was my neighbor behind me but he felt otherwise these ones were newer tenants to the area and the problem started about when they moved in. When he walked near their front door he almost fell over and he is almost 250 lbs. He told the fire dept all of this. When the Fire Dept was here the security guard told them he knew they were home, both cars were here. They were the only family to not answer the ER call from the office and security about the odor. The fire dept knocked on their door with flash lights saying fire dept; they never came to the door.

    Thanks and apologies please.
    EvArt
    Helpful
    JudyKayTee's Avatar
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,506, Reputation: 4594
    Uber Member
     
    #18

    Jan 26, 2008, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by evart
    What the heck are you talking about? Making a report to CPS is not filing a flase report it is a concerned neighbor! Take a chill pill you sound like you are a guilty person yourself! Wow what an attack because I am concerned for my health and my childrens and husbands! You say unbelievable I say...YOU ARE ONE PARONOID PERSON...I SUPPOSE YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THIS> NOW I HAVE MADE AN ASSUMPTION. I asked questions earlier!!!! WHO TURNED YOU IN? And you are responding to someone with actual valid information for me, the person you quoted!!! I would never embellish or mistell or go out of the area of the truth and what I know, have actually seen and or smell nothing more, nothing less. The truth is what is important not implications, aquazations or any of those sorts of things.
    Man I thought this would be a friendly place but I was wrong.

    I was "talking" to FDE - so stop shouting at me and read what has been posted. (And, yes, as I posted, I DO have some experience in this.)

    So call the Police, tell them what you smell and have seen, and let them make the decision. I don't know what else you want anybody to say. Either live there and leave your neighbors alone or tell the Police your concerns or move. I see no other options.

    And I agree that the truth is important and implications are not - I have no opinion on whether aquazations are important because I don't know what they are.
    Helpful (1)
    evart's Avatar
    evart Posts: 14, Reputation: -3
    New Member
     
    #19

    Jan 26, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Comment on twinkiedooter's post
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    I agree with you dear. Meth cooking smells horrible. What you are describing has all the ear marks of cooking. The stench from meth is unforgettable. If you do go to the neighbors and they actually let you in their home or have the door open long enough, if they actually are cooking meth, believe me, you'll know it in a heartbeat. Your head will feel like you've gotten the biggest rush ever (and this will make pot pale by comparison, believe me). If you think you can stay "annonymous" when reporting your neighbor, guess again. You essentially can't. From what I gathered from your post they already suspect that you know they are doing something but can't figure out just what.

    I can understand you being home all day and having to put up with the obnoxious smells is not fun by any means. Having impared lung capacity means that anything can and will cause you extreme problems. Your description of eyes, nose, dizzy and nauseaus means that there is a chemical process going on that is an irritant of some kind. Meth cooking causes an irritant to be put into the air. Your being dizzy means that you are reacting to the meth and getting "high" - albeit a second hand high.

    You said this was a condo. Have you addressed the condo board about the stench yet? Condos have some pretty strange rules and it sounds like they just broke a rule - annoying smells eminating from their unit.

    Have you spoken to the drug task force about this? They are trained to "smell" meth cooking. The fact you said you had the police and fire dept over is great. The fact the neighbors did not open the door to see what the commotion was clearly gives me the signal that they are doing something wrong. I've had "cookers of meth" live near me in the past and I know first hand what it smells like. Certainly not violets.

    You did not mention their habits. Do they go to work on a regular basis? If they leave for work does the stench still emanate from their house? Do they have people over that stay for short period, say less than 10 minutes? How long have they lived there? Did they do this from day one?
    On point, non accusitory, and valued answers about my dilemma
    Helpful
    evart's Avatar
    evart Posts: 14, Reputation: -3
    New Member
     
    #20

    Jan 26, 2008, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    I agree with you dear. Meth cooking smells horrible. What you are describing has all the ear marks of cooking. The stench from meth is unforgettable. If you do go to the neighbors and they actually let you in their home or have the door open long enough, if they actually are cooking meth, believe me, you'll know it in a heartbeat. Your head will feel like you've gotten the biggest rush ever (and this will make pot pale by comparison, believe me). If you think you can stay "annonymous" when reporting your neighbor, guess again. You essentially can't. From what I gathered from your post they already suspect that you know they are doing something but can't figure out just what.

    I can understand you being home all day and having to put up with the obnoxious smells is not fun by any means. Having impared lung capacity means that anything can and will cause you extreme problems. Your description of eyes, nose, dizzy and nauseaus means that there is a chemical process going on that is an irritant of some kind. Meth cooking causes an irritant to be put into the air. Your being dizzy means that you are reacting to the meth and getting "high" - albiet a second hand high.

    You said this was a condo. Have you addressed the condo board about the stench yet? Condos have some pretty strange rules and it sounds like they just broke a rule - annoying smells eminating from their unit.

    Have you spoken to the drug task force about this? They are trained to "smell" meth cooking. The fact you said you had the police and fire dept over is great. The fact the neighbors did not open the door to see what the commotion was clearly gives me the signal that they are doing something wrong. I've had "cookers of meth" live near me in the past and I know first hand what it smells like. Certainly not violets.

    You did not mention their habits. Do they go to work on a regular basis? If they leave for work does the stench still eminate from their house? Do they have people over that stay for short period of time, say less than 10 minutes? How long have they lived there? Did they do this from day one?
    Thank you so much!

    To let everyone else know that neighbor on the other side of them is in this sort of valley here due to the building structure. They have a lower roof basically. We are higher on the hill in other words. Anyway, the woman’s husband works here at the complex as a gardener. The wife has a baby the approximate same age as the neighbor's in question. The woman has actually gone over to them and kindly asked and at second and third tries told them of the annoyance they have created for them. The neighbor's in question reacted by yelling at her calling her names and by the husband taking a hose to her. She nicely went to them and asked them to please not use or smoke or whatever was going on that was affecting the air in their home as she is concerned about her baby and herself. The laundry room is on the other side of me and this woman has to walk by their unit to get there. She holds her nose when she walks by their unit because the odor is so over powering. Since they have not even tried to solve the issue that the neighbor complained to them about she again has addressed them by neighborly requests. The other woman neighbor being affected has gone outside when they are just smoking cigarettes and leaving their home air out, as it seems the odors are coming outside more often. Anyway once she came out and said something to them to the effect of you must still be doing whatever it is that you are doing because the issue has not stopped. The husband in question went and got the hose and watered her away basically. I did not know this but due to the answers we received up here we decided to ask others if they smelled anything and this is what we were told. Now in my book the husbands’ behavior is erratic wouldn't you say, that's pretty cruel taking a hose to get someone away from asking you nicely to not disturb them? Now mind you the husband had to go back into his house so he could go out the front door and into a shed between our homes to get to the hose which he then directed at her! She is a Hispanic meek woman who bothers no one. So I guess I am not so far off base now am I??

    Thank you twinkedooter.

    To the rest of you I will not leave however I will go away for the most part. Remember you do not have to read or listen to a thing I say or ask, that is entirely up to you. I will respond to direct messages to me from people who can stay on topic and not be unkind look at all sides. The board’s purpose I would imagine is for others to seek out answers from multiple sources so you can make a wise decision and to those of you who are kind enough to do so with out attacking people who obviously are in need of assistance like the above named person did very kindly. I don't want to be around people who are so unkind that they can not read desperation but would rather attack the questioner. I did not say I did not like his answer by the way, Judy and I actually thanked you for something you said, and then you come back and attack me. I will be the bigger person here. I am sorry Judy if I offended you, it was not meant to be towards you. I was offended by the statement of me drinking "imbibe yourself" when nothing was mentioned about that at all! I was disturbed by the other implications in the post and in some of the others and didn’t even know they had answered or how to direct an answer to them. I have 7 companies and I do not have the time to waste on needless adventures like searching out how to use all discussion sites on the web as they are mostly the same. None of this is on topic or important or whatever so it really matters not. I now have what I needed and you can all delete me as a person you do not wish to hear from. Who wants to be around accusatory people and know it alls who accuse rather then be kind to a person having a serious dilemma? It is about being humble yourself and not being the one who can NOT learn a thing from anyone as they are the ones who fail most in life; as they are always looking for the fix in someone else, when it is at home they need to do the work. It's called egomania! Cleaning up your own back yard before you start cleaning others!

    So thanks everyone I received my answers and but leave. No thanks I see there are some nice folks around including the moderators. It's about finding folks you get along with and not everyone gets along and always is so clear from the lengths people go to hiding behind a hidden screens and saying awful things about others. In my opinion it is all about learning who you like and who you do not and there is a way to control that through the site and setting up your account.

    Peace out.
    Helpful

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.


Check out some similar questions!

Smoking Neighbors [ 9 Answers ]

My huband and I like to have our windows open facing our backyard in the evening. When our next door neighbors go out on their patio and smoke, the smoke gets in our house and we end up having to close all the windows. I know they have a right to smoke in their backyard, but it's frustrating to...

Nasty condo neighbors [ 5 Answers ]

Trying to find a solution to a nasty upstairs condo neighbor... this neighbor Moved in 2yrs ago, (neighbor) lot of noise (put up with it at first, but it was nonstop) Knocked on door to ask for a reprieve, was given a nasty OK OK OK It escalated, sounds like 5 yr old daughter plays hocky...

I think my husband is on meth [ 26 Answers ]

Here are the symptoms Erratic behavior,wears sun-glasses all the time-even indoors,he seems to have aged decades,hair long and unkempt,teeth discolored,weightloss of fifty pounds or more in a few months,sometimes he seems paranoid,anger outbursts,cut himself off his family,new and strange friends...

Help! 1st time home (condo) owner with seeping toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I checked the other postings and could not find one specifically on this issue and the questions about wax rings. I live on the bottom floor of a 3 story condo, for only about 6 months. When the main drain of the building gets clogged by the neighbors (like with papertowels or grease most...


View more questions Search