Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mouse23 Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Feb 21, 2012, 10:17 PM
    Will I pass an EtG test in 63 hours?
    Hey dr bill. Let me start my say it is a pleasure for your guidance I have a little in sight of the test I have failed it before and saw my levels and everything with a 100ng cut off. So last year when I failed I had about 5 in a half standard drink got an EtG the next day. So I was drinking those drinks from about 5pm Sunday till 11pm. Went in Monday about 2pm. Got the results the following Monday with levels 10,000. Then I did a little research about half life and EtG levels. And the research amazed me of how close it was. So I read that a stanard drink could produce up to 67,000ng of EtG. So 67,000x5 for 5 drinks =335,000ng EtG. Then with a half life of 3 hours=10,468. And that is right around what my EtG levels were 15 hours later.

now I stupidly drank again and had about 15 standard so 67,000x15=1,005,000ng. I drank over a span of about 5 hours ending at 12 midnight Sunday.I am a male 6'0 and about 145 pounds with a very very fast metabolism. So after my height EtG level of around 1,005,000 the half over a period around 60 hours is 0.958. I did the calculations with the previous test and everything adds up

Feb 21, 2012, 10:19 PM
    What are the chances you think of me passing after 63 hours?

Feb 21, 2012, 10:32 PM
    I feel like the 80 hr is a lot of hype and more of a marketing thing. I mean I think it can detect alcohol up to 80 hours but in very very low results even below 100ng cut off.in (extreme cases)
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2012, 10:48 PM
    Where did you get the 67000 figure. Not questioning the validity as I remember it but can't recall the source. In particular, can't recall the beverage, beer wine or vodka.

If you're looking for a quick answer, 15 drinks with 63 hours from last drink seems short (100 ng) could be close at 500. I also think you might be using the wrong formula for calculating rate of excretion, t 1/2.

I can get back to you tomorrow with some details that might interest you but I'm checking out for the night and it will take a little time.

Feb 21, 2012, 11:05 PM
    Okay thank you
    Get back to me as quick as you can please

Feb 21, 2012, 11:15 PM
    I had about 8 shots and 1 four loko
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2012, 06:39 PM
    I apologize for the delay in responding.

8 shots and 1-Four Loko (12% abv max) doesn't equal 15 drinks. You would be at the 11 drink level assuming 23.5 oz can for the latter.

Nonetheless, if you have applied a multiplier of 67000 per drink consumed you have probably overestimated EtG. Contrariwise by using the standard t 1/2 calculation (zero order kinetics) you have underestimated excretion time. (brief description here)

EtG does not follow a straight line elimination profile (i.e 1/2 divided by 1/2). Rather, in order to determine EtG excreretion a two compartment model is utilized (Michaelis-Menten, enzyme kinetics). For definition see Michaelis?Menten kinetics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia A moot point because there is no way of determining a start point.

However, in comparison to your multiplier (67000 per) another study using a measured dose of 24 g (2 drinks approx) found that EtG (peak) ranged between 12,200-83,200 Rosano & Lin This study used 4 individuals, equal doses, and as you will note demonstrates an interindividual variance of nearly 7X.

Other studies have found that consumption of a single 12-ounce beer resulted in a peak EtG urine level of nearly 4,000 ng/mL at four hours post-consumption while another study noted a peak EtG of 68000 ng at 5 hours following 3 glasses of wine. (EtG peaks at 3-5 hours post-consumption)

My point isn't to diminish your analysis or initiative. Rather, to point out that scientific data and research is absent. What does exist is contradictory.

If you have further questions please ask. Once again I apologize for my delay in response to your initial inquiry.

Feb 23, 2012, 07:40 PM
    Dr bill do u see me having a chance at passing after 63 hours? I'm male 23 yrs old 6'0 ft 145 pounds very very fast metabolism
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2012, 03:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mouse23 View Post
    dr bill do u see me having a chance at passing after 63 hours? im male 23 yrs old 6'0 ft 145 pounds very very fast metabolism
    In my opinion your chance of passing is above 50%. That places you in the low percentile of research subjects but in my experience this test performs far below reported ranges.

My experience is that few people, even after heavy drinking, are EtG positive beyond 2 days (48 hr). Please understand that my observations are experiential, naturalistic. My associates stopped using EtG testing in mid-2009 consonant with my belief that it is clinically useless for abstinence monitoring.

Based on research you should have a positive return... based on my experience you probably will not.

Please let me know the results... we'll both advance.

By the way, I don't discount your previous calculations on EtG theory of synthesis and elimination. My return was as much invitational as counteractive or corrective. Always happy to discuss this subject/science acknowledging equiniscience.

Feb 25, 2012, 09:41 PM
    It has been 11 days and still haven't heard anything. You think I am in the clear?

Feb 26, 2012, 09:02 PM
    Dr bill what would my bac be with the 8 shots and I four loko? 145pounds 6'0 ft
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2012, 08:03 PM
    Below is a pretty good calculator for determining BAC. It calculates by gender, weight and time. Good correlation with research.

BAC Calculator

Feb 27, 2012, 08:40 PM
    Thank you for that. Its says my bac woiuld be 0.15 is that high or low? If that was bac after my last drink will my chances of passing the EtG in 63 hours?

Feb 27, 2012, 08:47 PM
    Actually it is a bac of 0.19 please resound dr bill
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2012, 09:22 PM
    Unpredictable at that number of drinks.

Starting at your last drink, you were still producing EtG (metabolizing alcohol) for about another 10.5 hours. That is figuring your alcohol elimination rate at .018.

None of the research involving heavy drinking measured the dose. Simply admitting BAC anywhere from .10 to .34. EtG was detectable for 39-102 hours. However,

1) the EtG could not be correlated to the BAC and other studies have found that
    2) amount of alcohol consumed cannot be correlated to EtG.

Once the number of drinks surpasses 5 there no measured dose studies and it is strictly a guessing game. The average time of detection is around 65 hours in relation to heavy drinking. Note however that these were inpatient detox patients.

Overall, the numbers are against you.
    delladay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2012, 04:13 PM
    I drank 3 9 oz decanters of wine (white) on Monday and had a EtG about 60-68 hours after I stopped drinking. I cleansed with water, lemon and cayenne pepper, blueberries and acai juice, Do you think I will pass an EtG? I am 45, slow metabolism, 5'8 inch female at about 179 pounds. I drank it in about 3 hours.4 pm- 7 pm
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2012, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by delladay View Post
    i drank 3 9 oz decanters of wine (white) on Monday and had a etg about 60-68 hours after I stopped drinking. I cleansed with water, lemon and cayenne pepper, blueberries and acai juice, Do you think I will pass an etg? I am 45, slow metabolism, 5'8 inch female at about 179 pounds. I drank it in about 3 hours.4 pm- 7 pm
    Do you know the alcohol content of the wine?

Calculating alcohol @ 12% you would have consumed 5.4 standard drinks (US), 76 grams of pure alcohol, and based on body weight between .79 and 1.11* g/kg. While not too significant your BAC was probably in range of .10-.12* following last drink.

Most people of your gender and similar physical characteristics will not have detectable levels of EtG at that time span based on 5-6 drinks. While it would be unusual it is still a distant possibility

I am always enthralled with the various concoctions people take to eliminate EtG. Where did those ideas come from?

*both figures normalized to BMI (18-24) based on ht/wt.
    azula18 Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2012, 09:03 PM
    it has been 11 days and still havent heard anything. you think i am in the clear?
    Standard turn-around time for treatment/court test results is 48 hours for negative tests, and 72 for positive, because the lab will do a second set of tests to prevent/disprove false positives.
    askme1974 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2012, 04:26 PM
    it has been 11 days and still havent heard anything. you think i am in the clear?
    Mouse,

How did it turn out?
    brittmd89 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2012, 02:13 PM
    Honestly I think the ETG testing is kind of a joke and a lot of people make it out to be more than what it really is! I have had plenty of experience with it, I have to call a number every morning to see if I have to go test ( I test 3 times a week) and they usually send it to the lab once a week. Last week I drank on Saturday about 9 beers and tested on Monday and they sent it to the lab, they do test for EtG and the cut off is 100 ng/ml. I only had 32-34 hours in between and I passed. This time I learned my lesson because having those couple drinks are not worth the guilt/anxiety of not knowing if its going to be positive or not. Either I really lucked out or these tests are not as good as they claim. I think these are more accurate for chronic drinkers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Will I pass EtG test after 59 hours? [ 22 Answers ]

I'm 6ft 3in 230 lbs I been drinking water for the last 3 hours my test is tomorrow by 11am... I drank last on Monday at 3am I have also been taking creatine and a detox pill I plan waking up early and running and sweatting allot will this be enough to pass

Can I pass an EtG alcohol test after 60 hours? [ 1 Answers ]

My friend is 270lb 38 year old male. He drank about 6 pitchers of beer Saturday night. He stopped drinking at 2am Sunday morning. Most of the day on Sunday and all of Monday and Tuesday he ate, drank a lot of water and soda pop. He also took a dose of B-12 all of those days. He has an EtG test on...

Will I pass an ETG test after 71 hours? [ 9 Answers ]

I am 6ft 150lbs and I drank 6 beers from 11am until 6pm on Saturday. I have an ETG on Tuesday at 6pm. Will I pass the test?

Will I pass an EtG test after 60 hours? [ 4 Answers ]

Is the 80 hour detection of alcohol through an EtG test just the worst case senerio? If I, a 24 year old male, 130 lbs. drank 6 beers, would I be able to pass an EtG test?

Will I pass EtG test after 62 hours? [ 9 Answers ]

Saturday I drank about 12 beers, stopping at approx. 2:00 am. Im a healthy 125 lb female with a fast metabolism. I am taking an EtG test Tuesday at about 4:45 pm. Do you think I will pass? (That would be about 62 hours after consuption.)

View more questions Search