Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    dwg4994's Avatar
    dwg4994 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 4, 2012, 07:08 PM
    How do you get into canada with a felony for a funeral?
    My stepfather just passed away. I was convicted of a violent felony in 2005.I need to know if I can go to the funeral and how I would go about getting the correct paperwork to do so.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Mar 4, 2012, 07:14 PM
    Contact their nearest Embassy

    Canadian Embassy and Consulates in the United States
    JudyKayTee's Avatar
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

    Mar 10, 2012, 08:31 AM
    Canada's policy regarding felony convictions is very straight forward: "Anyone with a conviction in the United States that is treated as a felony or indictable offense in Canada is excludable from Canada, but even if the offense is not a felony or indictable offense in Canada, Customs and Immigration Officers have ultimate authority to permit and deny entry to Canada. ... Almost all convictions (including DUI, DWI, reckless driving, negligent driving, misdemeanor drug possession, all felonies, domestic violence (assault IV), shoplifting, theft, etc) can make a person inadmissible to Canada, regardless of when they occurred. For this reason, it is not recommended that persons with past convictions attempt to enter Canada without first obtaining necessary documents. It is always the final decision of officers at ports of entry to decide whether a person should be allowed into Canada." Traveling to Canada

    You could apply for a waiver but that takes months and I don't believe you have the time to do so. You can apply to be admitted if you meet the following criteria: "Persons are eligible to apply for deemed rehabilitation at a port of entry if the following are true: There was only one conviction in total; At least ten years have elapsed since all of the sentences for the conviction were completed (payment of all fees, jail time completed, restitution paid, etc); The conviction would not be considered serious criminality in Canada (most felony convictions in the United States are equivalent to serious criminality in Canada); and The conviction did not involve any serious property damage, physical harm to any person, or any type of weapon."

    I'm ex-US Customs. It's on a case-by-case basis.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you go to Canada if you have a felony that is 12 years old? [ 4 Answers ]

I called in a bomb threat when I was in High School I never had a record before and I haven't got in to any thing now can I go to Canada

Can I go to canada with a felony [ 1 Answers ]

Can I go to canada with a felony

How to travel into Canada with a felony? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a passport already from the US and I'm wanting to travel to Canada. I have a felony on my record and I'm still on probation at this time. What do I need to do to be able to go into Canada for vacation.

Funeral directors in Canada, licensing requirements [ 1 Answers ]

What type of licensing is required of a funeral director in Canada?

Felony entry to Canada [ 2 Answers ]

I was convicted of a felony in 2002. In 2005, as per my court paperwork my felony was to be dropped to a misdemeanor. In spring 2007 I obtained my passport with plans to travel to Vancouver, BC, Canada. I departed for Vancouver in September 2007. Upon arriving at the airport, I was denied...

View more questions Search