I tried to answer your post earlier but was unable to do so do so due to password problems. The local chapter of the Bar Association for your area should be able to tell you something about the attorney you have, at a minimun, whether that person is in good standing in the legal community.

Before you had an attorney, I was trying to provide you with a toll free number to the United Way "First Call for Help" Program. This program is a free referral service to those who have legal, family, medical, economic, employment or other problems that they are having difficulty dealing with. The number is 800-492-0618.
I hope everything turns out well for you.