Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    suegayle227's Avatar
    suegayle227 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 13, 2006, 09:10 PM
    Being refused to pay restitution
    I wrote bad checks to a place also have been accused of several thousand of dollars being stoled what is the law on restitution if they refuse to take restitution a gave me a signed latter stating such can they press charges.
    RickJ's Avatar
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

    Feb 14, 2006, 07:06 AM
    Please clarify.
    1. Have you taken them the money for the bad checks and they've refused to accept it?
    2. Regarding the theft, you say "accused". Is this a separate issue?
    You say "accused" but are implying restitution. Did you steal?

    In short, if someone has a financial claim against you, they cannot refuse payment and pursue it in court.

    ... well, they can, but it would be thrown out when the judge or referree learned that they refused to accept repayment.
    magprob's Avatar
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 299
    Ultra Member

    Feb 18, 2006, 10:36 PM
    The prosecuting attorney has probably told them to not deal with or speak to you. They are more than likely preparing to bring charges against you. I am not trying to scare you or be blunt but that is exactly what it sounds like to me. They will get their money from you in the form of a court ordered restitution. Get an attorney.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,268, Reputation: 7690

    Feb 19, 2006, 05:37 PM
    Yes I feel magprob is hitting this right on the head. Unless they already turned it over to their insurance or to their attorney ( and/or) the district attorney. They would want to work out payment of it.

    I would say that they have legal action planned or being planned.
    I would get an attorney, be honest to them as to what really happened, and let them make the contact for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can Criminal Court Orders for restitution be discharged with Chapter 7? [ 13 Answers ]

I was just notified by a Bankruptcy Court that an individual who has been ordered to pay restitution to me in both a CIVIL and CRIMINAL lawsuit has applied for a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. She is presently paying on the criminal order so that she won't be returned to prison. Is it possible to have...

Help! My daschund refused to shower and refused to be carried. [ 3 Answers ]

Help! Help!I am having 2 major problems with my male long hair red daschund:- 1. He refuses to shower - every time he hears and sees me preparing his shower stuff, he will run and hide. I try coaxing him wz treats but that didn't help. He will growl and snap at whoever goes near him. 2, My...

My dog refused to eat anything but chicken. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, My samoyed of 7 years, had glaucoma 3 weeks ago and had his left eye removed, a few days before the op to keep his strength up we gave him a whole chicken a day, and also a few days after the op, he now refuses his own meat although we have tried to ween him off the chicken, by mixing...

View more questions Search