Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    charleahv's Avatar
    charleahv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 11, 2007, 09:07 PM
    Old Credit Card Debt - Paid off.
    We mortgaged our home to do a debt consolidation in 2000. Our debt was paid off by the company that we borrowed the money from. Now we are receiving statements from lawyers saying that they will be suing us if we don't pay them. I have papers showing what was paid off. We are getting endless letters from people that supposedly have purchased this debt and are now trying to collect...

    Is there anything we can do about this and is this legal?
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Mar 12, 2007, 06:18 AM
    Send them a letter with copies of your proofs of payment (what do those proofs constitute?). Tell them to stop contacting you unless they can provide proof that you didn't pay the account in full.
    Dr D's Avatar
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127
    Senior Member

    Mar 12, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Contact theTitle Company (closing agent) that did the closing of your loan and paid off the credit cards, if in fact they were paid off in escrow. They should be able to provide you with copies of the cancelled checks. Be sure to have the escrow number handy, so they can locate the old file. Usually the Title Company will pay the balance that was provided to them by the consumer or the Mortgage Company (if the loan was contingent on certain debts being paid). If there were additional charges on the accounts prior to the payoffs, a remaining balance could exist. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Debt.. Not sure what to do [ 14 Answers ]

I recevied a summons at my place of employment to apprear in court. The two credit cards I owe money to I guess are trying to collect. The plaintiff is Unifund CCR Partners, I am of course the defendant.I have tried about 10 lawyers in the last 2 weeks to contact me with the free advise I need but...

How can I cash out excess money I paid on my credit card [ 2 Answers ]

I like to keep a zero balance on my credit cards thus pay off the amount in full. I recently had some refunds on items purchased so my credit balance is negative. If I take a cash withdrawal on the credit card -- will they still charge a fee? I want to cash out the money since I want to close the...

Credit Card Debt [ 4 Answers ]

My Mother is 85 and in poor health. She has about $30,000.00 in credit card debt. Due to increased medical bills, perscriptions and her mobil home rent increase she is not able to pay these bills. She has no assets, and her only income is her SS monthly check. Several credit card companies have...

Credit Card Debt [ 2 Answers ]

Hi---I have six credit card balances going and recently became unemployed. The biggest amount I have is 3,300.00, with other smaller balances on the other five. The biggest one has a credit limit of 9,400.00. I was wondering if it would be good to transfer all of the smaller ones (balances) to...

View more questions Search