Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    cmann1970's Avatar
    cmann1970 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 20, 2008, 01:12 PM
    I have a question on a judgement that my wife had against her. We received a court notice advising us of the lawsuit and to provide an ANSWER if we did not agree. I wrote up an ANSWER and advised that we owed the money to Capitol One but that I disagreed with the amount of interest they were charging. That was the last piece of mail I ever received. The attny office called us last week and advised that the judgement was in place and I set up a payment plan. My question is this - I never recvd a court date to argue anything. Is the attny office (and the court) supposed to provide me with a chance to go to court to plead my case or did they just get a judgement because we owed money anyway. I never recvd a court date and was never able to represent myself (and my wife). Was this legal? We have set up a payment arrangement with Captitol One but I wanted to confirm if what they did was legal or not.
    Loan_Guy's Avatar
    Loan_Guy Posts: 83, Reputation: 6
    Junior Member

    May 21, 2008, 08:22 PM
    Before I paid anything to the attorneys, I would ask them what court the judgment was secured in and then contact the court.

    Although we know that debt collectors would never fib while trying to collect from you, I would verify it. If they did get a judgment, ask when the court date was and tell them that you never received a summons.

    If you were unable to represent yourself, you should ask what you need to do to get it overturned.

    If there is no actual judgment, I would file a complaint with your state's Atty. General's office and the Federal Trade Commission. Here is a link with more info Fair Debt Collection


    PS. You could also pull copies of your wife's credit report from and see if there is a judgment under the public records area. You should also look to see how Capital One is reporting it. They are listed as CapOne (Capone) if that gives you any insight...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unaware of default judgement /cause of judgement [ 2 Answers ]

A few days ago, my husband was called by a collection agency informing him of a default judgement of over $8,000 which he had no prior knowledge of. The default judgement was 12/2005. He was told that it was for a credit card he had in 1996. He sincerely believes that he was the victim of identity...

Texas - CC Judgement Can They Put Judgement Against Husband's Property only his name [ 1 Answers ]

Have been sent a summons and contacted attorney. While discussing lump sum settlement they hung up and said they would see me in court. I have tried to call back with no response. Can the judgement in court be put against property that is only in my husbands name?

What to do with a judgement [ 2 Answers ]

I received a judgement today from local police dept. stating to pay them or risk garnishment of wages. After looking the judgement I noticed my employers address is wrong. Would this be a reason to vacate the judgement?

Judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Florida, an attorney is suing me for legal fees in Texas, through the Texas Court. How can I keep this from occurring and if he does put a judgement against me, can he garnish my wages or seize my checking account? The account balance has been in dispute, however I do owe him. I...

Judgement [ 11 Answers ]

Three years ago my company shutdown. I went from making a very good living to barely surviving- in a very short period. I was forced to sell my house in order pay my critical bills and sometimes we couldn't even do that. At one point we where even on food stamps. (my wife and four children...

View more questions Search