Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slavedriver Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 09:13 AM
    Painting & decorating
    How do I calculate the price of painting the walls in a house?
    regyrich Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2008, 03:09 PM

It can be difficult calculating this as although the manufacturers of the paint tell you the approx coverage per litre they do not take into account the "hotness" or perosity of the walls or surface you are painting.Try thinning emulsion 1 part water to 4 parts paint for a first, sealing coat, then using paint strait from the tin for 2nd coating.Usually 5 litres of paint will do 2 coats to a standard bedroom, bearing in mind that its not huge, then 10 litres for lounge and 10 litres for h/s/landing. Add up the litres i.e. approx 50 litres for a 3 bedroomed house X £20 for 5 litres = £200. Hope I've helped give you an idea.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 06:18 PM
    Most handumen in my area charge by the sq/ft and go about $0.50, the pros chanrge twice that. This is labor only, no materials but you bring the brushes and roller.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2008, 11:10 PM
    The question is somewhat dated now and a similar question was posted by slavedriver that can be found via clicking on the following link.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/interi...te-234713.html

Maybe slavedriver will return to address answers that have been given, and then again, maybe not. But, for future reference for others who come along and want to know about how much to charge or how much it's going to cost to do a paint job, it's important for the person asking the original question to post as much information as possible about the paint job that is to be done.

There are a number of factors that are unknown here, such as: Are the walls textured in any way, and if so, what kind of texture? Is the paint to be put on to be applied with a brush, roller or by spray of some kind? Plus, we don't know how many coats or the sheen of the paint that is to be applied or whether it will be latex or oil-based, depending on the texture of the wall. Are there any repairs to the surface areas that need to be made? Who's going to be doing the job, a pro or the neighbor Joe down the street who just needs some extra money? What about the trim? Most pros charge by the linear foot for painting trim because the paint is almost always applied with a brush.

Many other factors to be considered here that could be added to the ones that I've already listed...

Therefore, it would be helpful to have more information before coming up with definitive conclusions as far as prices. Prices will also vary greatly depending on the location where the work is to be performed. Unlike some other types of work, such as deck cleaning, refinishing and staining, fortunately, the labor costs for house painting, both interior and exterior, is something that's at least somewhat standardized in the United States, but dependent on the location where the paint job is happening.

Just my take on things...

Thanks for putting up with me!
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Oct 13, 2008, 08:44 PM

In Canada... I average about $250 per room + plus materials...
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2008, 12:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeboy View Post
    In Canada..... I average about $250 per room + plus materials.....
    Hi, Leeboy!

It would be a good idea to be checking the dates on posts and also reading what's already been posted as far as answering questions.

Doing that will save you and others some time as well as possible angst to you as well as the part of other folks here.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Decorating my lounge [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone help me - my lounge is 18ft X 10ft it has a fitted carpet in teal colour - what colour should I paint the walls - also I would like a feature wall - what colour should the suite and curtains be??

Thanksgiving Decorating Ideas [ 18 Answers ]

If you celebrate the American holiday of Thanksgiving, I am wondering if you have any decorating ideas that you might be willing to share with others here? :) They could be do-it-yourself type crafts or even how you decorate the table and in and around your home for this holiday. Pictures of...

Interior decorating [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know of some good sites to find ideas on decorating a bedroom with the beach theme? Or on winery kitchen themed ideas? Thanks.

Kitchen paint decorating [ 2 Answers ]

We're refacing cabinets with Doormark wild apple (brownish-red cherry) cabinets. We have light oak floor & bordeaux granite (darkish - brown/red/black) countertops. What paint color is suggested between cabinets and countertop? We also have an island with picture-framed sides to be painted. ...

View more questions Search