Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gahscoach Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 10:51 AM
    501c3 status
    I am about to apply for a 501c3. My question is how long does this process take and at what point do we become tax exempt and what do we do in the interim process about fundraising? We have several people and churches who want to donate but want the write off. What do we do?
    Thanks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Hello gah:

This is really a question for your CPA, however I have an opinion. Of course, I have an opinion on everything.

You ARE exempt because you fit the criteria, therefore, in my opinion, your status as exempt starts when you first fit the criteria - not when the government approves your application.

In fact, I suggest an even more radical solution. If you're a church, you're exempt automatically. It's just so. You don't need the governments permission to be that way, so why ask in the first place? I would not “apply” for 501c3 status, if I were you.

I would carry it even further than that, too. I would not incorporate my church. Corporations are creations of the state. Being a creation of the state, the state thinks it should have access to your books and documents.

Indeed, neither the state nor the federal government has any need to know that you even exist. I would create an unincorporated association for your church. That'll work just fine.

Of course, I AM an exconvict. Please, ask your CPA.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 25, 2007, 11:49 AM
    I have to disagree with excon here. You are filing for 501(c)(3) status so that the people that want to give you money can claim the deduction. Its not about your taxes. I think he misunderstood that you were a church not that you have churches wanting to give money to you.

I do agree that you should have soemone preparing the filing and that someone is the best person to ask about the process.
    gahscoach Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 01:52 PM
    No we are not a church more like a mission agency. We will be seeking donations from churches and individuals seeking a tax write off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

501c3 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Rahfeki Brown the questioned I have is can I file my 501c3 on my own don't want to pay the 400.00 dollars to someone else if I can do it myself

501c3 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I originally posted under philanthropy/charity and was directed to repost here for possible insight. Below are my two posts, if you can shed any light on the topic, I'd much appreciate it: Ok, here is my situation. I have a friend who needs adaptive equipment in the form of a service dog....

501C3 and recipient benefits [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, here is my situation. I have a friend who needs adaptive equipment in the form of a service dog. The Commission for the blind is not an option because the animal needs to be dual trained as a seizure assist as well, which is not allowed by the organization. Well, a local pastor stepped...

501c3 Asset Transfer [ 2 Answers ]

I Would Like To Know If It Is Legal (or Ethical) To Create A 501c3 Corperation And Donate The Assets From A 501c3 Church That Is Being Desolved Considering The Fact That The President Of The Desolved Church Is The President Of The Newley Organized 501c3 Corperation?

501c3 [ 1 Answers ]

I am applying for a 501c3 tax status.I don't know if it will be a private foundation or not. Here is what I am looking at doing. Starting a christian camp for teens, that is funded with grants aand church support and help by indiv. Got any ideas? Thanks

View more questions Search