Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adcordes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2006, 09:26 AM
    Collecting on a personal judgement
    I received a judgement against a contractor. How do I go about making sure that judgement shows up on his credit? Can I file the judgement in the county he lives in too? Can his wages be garnished? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2006, 09:28 AM
    You can subpeona him back to court for him to list his assets that you can attach. You can mail a copy of the judgment to the credit bureaus to be add to his credit report.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 6, 2006, 09:35 AM
    Getting a judgement is only half the battle. The hard part is getting paid. The court does little to help in that regard.

Posting the judgement to the credit bureaus does little to get you paid. If he cared that much about his credit rating he wouldn't have let it go so far that you got a judgement.

Getting a subpeona to determine his assets is a good move, but that assumes he has attachable assets. Most likely he's done things to limit that.

If he's a contractor, he probably doesn't draw wages.

Once (and if) you find assets that are attachable, you will need to have a sheriff serve the holder of those assets (bank, employer, etc.) with a copy of the judgement to seize or garnish them.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2007, 08:20 AM
    You need to make sure the judgment is docketed in the court system. If the judgment gets docketed, then it will show up on his credit that he owes you money.

I'm surprised the judge didn't order a financial disclosure. Then again, they may not do that in every state. If the debtor did get the order, then he has 15 days to fill it out and mail it to you. In the disclosure, he needs to list his place of employment, where his bank accounts are held, what assets he has, etc.

As Scott said, though, collecting is the hard part. I'm learning the hard way that our court system is absolutely worthless. I had a question as to whether I could garnish an unemployment check. I called the clerk of courts, an attorney and the unemployment office - no one had an answer for me. Sure wish I could get paid to know nothing about my job...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Book collecting [ 3 Answers ]

1. When collecting books, how can you verify a certificate of authenticity for a book signed by author? What should it look like and who issues it? 2. If a book is in new, never used condition what effect does a black mark made by a magic marker on the external edges of pages have on it's value?...

Kind of Personal [ 8 Answers ]

I was recently married to a wonderful man but I WEIGH 270 pounds... we are both young and i can't help but think my husband would like to have a very intimate night with me but they don't make any ''sexy'' outfits for women my size. At least i can't find anywhere where they do. I want to spice up...

Collecting a judgement [ 14 Answers ]

Won a judgement bk in oct 2004 and have not received any money from this person he owns a trailer park and in 2005 he let his friend be partner with him in the trailer park.I did a notice of writ which I took out in June of 2005 what that do I do not know.but that is what the courts told me to do I...

View more questions Search