What is plain flour?
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 10:18 AM
    All-purpose flour is most likely considered plain flour
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 24, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Like Glinda said, all-purpose is probably what is meant, rather than cake flour or soy flour or whole wheat flour, etc.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 10:51 AM
    Guessing your from the uk plain flour is as wondergirl says all purpose flour but with no raising agent, that's why we have self raising with is basically plain flour with a added raising agent.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Plain flour is just all purpose flour, which means it doesn't contain a raising agent. It is obtained by grinding and sifting the meal of cereal grain.
    herbalista Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2007, 06:36 PM
    Another part of the definition of "plain" flour is that it is flour with a medium gluten content, thus is suitable for a variety of purposes, as opposed to bread flour (high gluten) and cake flour (low gluten).
    Different areas in the United States have different preferences in this area. The South notably prefers a low gluten flour for most purposes, and southern brands of all purpose flour (like White Lily) tend to have a lower gluten content than other parts of the country.
    In addition, unbleached all purpose flour tends to have a higher gluten content than bleached, and is therefore more suitable for yeast breads.
    Incidentally, if you're shopping for the whole wheat versions of these flours, you'll frequently find the high gluten flour labeled "hard" wheat and the low gluten flour labeled "soft" wheat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it plain flour or self-raising? [ 15 Answers ]

I have some flour in a storage jar and I can't remember if it is plain or self-raising.! :confused: :confused: :confused: I seem to recall that there is some way of telling, like by mixing it with water and seeing if it bubbles, but... I tried that with some flour that is in a bag still, so I...

Plain and All purpose flour [ 6 Answers ]

What is the difference between plain flour and all purpose flour?

Plain Flour [ 3 Answers ]

In Australia, recipes either use plain flour or self raising flour. I wish to use an American recipe. May plain flour be used in place of 'all purpose flour'?

Is it Plain Flour or SR Flour? [ 2 Answers ]

I have some flour stored in an unnamed container. Is there some way to tell if it if SR Flour or Plain Flour apart from cooking with it?

Plain flour [ 3 Answers ]

Could you tell me how to use plain flour in self-rising flour recipes?

View more questions Search