Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    3p0L0v3sU Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2016, 12:18 PM
    Will burying cause it to corrode?
    Steel rebar will corrode if exposed to water correct? Does this mean exposed rebar cannot be buried due to the rain and ground water? I ask, because I want an exceedingly sturdy ground steak. What metals make good ground steaks or fence posts? What metals can handle being buried ?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2016, 01:17 PM
    Grounding stakes are for electrical grounding. Is this what you mean? Grounding "stakes" NEC states: "not less than 8ft' in length and, where steel, shall have the outer surface galvanized or otherwise metal coated for corrosion protection". Bare rebar must be encased in concrete. Almost all new home construction uses concrete encased rebar for grounding, placed in the house footing.
    You mention "ground steaks(sic) or fence posts". Terms are not usually interchanged.
    3p0L0v3sU Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2016, 01:35 PM
    Forgive me, I did not mean grounding steaks at all then. I just mean something you can stick in dirt for years at a time that won't rust. And thank you, now I know rebar won't work. what will?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2016, 02:33 PM
    Copper... or copper plated ground rods are one option.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2016, 06:03 PM
    Stainless steel piping, PVC? Pressure treated posts.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 3, 2016, 07:30 PM
    It really depends on what forces will be applied and what is the use. A tent stake will not rust.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Burying electrical wiring [ 1 Answers ]

Running 100 feet of wiring for lighting lighting and outlets. I want to bury the wire underground. My question; I believe local code calls for 12-18 inches of depth, but do I have to go as deep if I use PVC?

Burying electrical wiring [ 2 Answers ]

How deep should I bury electrical wire from house to my well pump and if I use conduit can I bury it more shallow?

Expense of Burying a Trampoline [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to hear from anyone that has purchased and buried a trampoline. I'm trying to get a feel for the costs involved in renting the equipment to dig the hole, the trampoline itself and any other expenses that might be involved. Note: I've done lots of research on the risks & injuries...

Burying Chiller Piping [ 1 Answers ]

We are having an issue with a certain chiller pipe eroding due to soil conditions we are replacing this pipe and I am curious as to whether anyone might provide me with a solution for protecting the tubing from the underground elements. Here are the specifics; piping = 2" copper, ground type =...

Burying a pipe in the slab [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Hi, I'm new here! I'm looking for information on who I would contact to get this done? I have a copper water pipe that feeds my outdoor hose sticking out of my concrete slab about 16" from the wall and 8" off the ground. I would like to get it buried and out of sight. Any ideas on...

View more questions Search