Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nickik Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Sewer Line Replacement
    Hi -

I need to have my sewer line from the house to the alley replaced due to tree roots. I was wondering if I can do this myself and what materials I would need? Can I use PVC and it is resistant to tree roots?

Thanks!
    Nicki
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 04:44 PM
    I need to have my sewer line from the house to the alley replaced due to tree roots. I was wondering if I can do this myself and what materials I would need? Can I use PVC and it is resistant to tree roots?
    Schedule 40 PVC should be fine, but it is always best to check with your local Building Dept. to find out if they specify a certain material for side sewers.

Also, most municipalities require that the person making the connection to the Utilities sewer system have a Side Sewer license.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 12, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nickik
    Hi -

Thanks!
    Nicki
    Hi Niki.
    Sure you can do it yourself if you're willing to dig up the old line and replace it. Schedule#40 PVC is the only way to go.You will need PVC pipe, PVC couplings, PVC primer and cement. Don't forget to pitch the line 1/4 inch to the foot. ALL pipes are root resistant to roots unless they have cracks or openings to allow the roots entry. Good luck, Tom
    Bondboy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2009, 01:17 PM
    Do I need to put down a pebble base when replacing my 5" terra cotta sewer line with 4" PVC?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 27, 2009, 01:31 PM

Pebbles no, but gravel yes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broken sewer line [ 1 Answers ]

How do I know for sure if I have a broken sewer line? There is an area where our sewer line is that has what looks like dried paper. We had quite a bit of snow that has now melted, and I'm not sure if the paper was under the snow, or if maybe it's toilet paper that has bubbled up. I hope that...

Plumbing sewer line [ 1 Answers ]

We purchased some property in Snowflake Arizona that has a bunk house. The plumbing was not completed for the bathroom toilet or sink. There will be no other plumbing. We currently do have a septic and well. We would like to run the pipe that is cut off just outside the house and then masked...

P-trap to outside sewer line [ 3 Answers ]

We are installing an above ground swimming pool and have been told by the city that we must install a permanent drain line / p-trap to the sewer lines. My husband called a plumber and thought he understood what he needed to do. Now the plumber has come to the house and said it is done all wrong...

Sewer line vent [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced all the sewer line in my home. The only way to flush toilet is to unhook drian line to upstair sink to get it to flush. Otherwise toilet back up and then very slowly drains. Does this mean the vent is plugged? My line also goes into s septic tank.

Sewer line problem [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a new old house (in Madison WI). The house sits at roughly the top of a hill. Shortly after moving in, I noticed that sewage seemed to have backed up through the floor drain in the basement. I cleaned up around the floor drain and for a while nothing more happened. Then I noticed...

View more questions Search