Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Farmer62 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Insulating new cement garage floor
    We are going to build a 3 stall garage attached to the house by a breezeway. The ground level had to be built up 4' to match house entry level. The footings have been poured and the interior area filled with sand/gravel. The exterior footing wall banked with clay/dirt mix. The footings were not insulated. The garage is going to be heated. If we put down a water barrier and foam sheeting before the cement floor is poored will this be adequate? Or will the frost move up the banked footing wall and cause problems inside the garage?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 9, 2008, 09:38 AM

Where do you live?

Oct 9, 2008, 10:38 AM
    We live in NW Iowa.

Oct 9, 2008, 10:49 AM

Does get a bit nippy out there doesn't it. Your footings are in and the sand and gravel are down so your space is limited. You can add a sheet of rigid foam covered by your vapor barrier before you pour but you still want at least 5" of concrete, do you have that much space? Insulation in the walls and most importantly the ceiling will give you the most bang for the buck.

Oct 9, 2008, 11:01 AM
    There is approx. 10 inches from the top of the sand to the top of the footing. And yes, it does get nippy here.

Oct 9, 2008, 03:22 PM

Almost sounds like you need a 2" foam board and some additional sand unless you need a beefy floor for heavy equipment. 5" is generally used for a residential garage. I'm just over the IL border east of Dubuque.

Oct 14, 2008, 07:48 AM
    We are planning on 2" foam board and 5" concrete and packing a little more sand. We are undecided if we should put down a moisture barrier plastic sheeting. Do you have any thoughts on that?
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Oct 14, 2008, 08:16 AM
    You do not need a vapor barrier if the garage is detached and unheated, if there is a chance to may have living space above the garage or want to heat it, you should put in a 6 mil vapor barrier.

IRC - R506.2.3 Vapor retarder.
    A 6 mil (0.006 inch; 152 µm) polyethylene or approved vapor retarder with joints lapped not less than 6 inches (152 mm) shall be placed between the concrete floor slab and the base course or the prepared subgrade where no base course exists.

Exception: The vapor retarder may be omitted:
    From garages, utility buildings and other unheated accessory structures.
    From driveways, walks, patios and other flatwork not likely to be enclosed and heated at a later date.
    Where approved by the building official, based on local site conditions

Oct 14, 2008, 09:24 AM

The cost for a barrier is small compared to what you are doing. I'd put one down. Someday you or a future HO may button up that breezeway and find other uses for those 3 stalls.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete Basement Floor Insulating [ 4 Answers ]

I want to cover the concrete floors in my basement. Is there a recommended practice for insulating a concrete floor? I have seen the Dri Core type of subfloors, but I'm sure I could do it for less another way. Any Advice?

Cement floor for a garage [ 2 Answers ]

I am ready (after 31 years) to finally build a garage for myself. The problem is well meaning friends, my question is concerning the cement pad or floor for the garage, should I put just a 4" flat pad or should I build a 1' footer and pour the footer and pad at the same time. I live in an area that...

Floor transition on cement floor [ 2 Answers ]

I am laying laminate flooring on a cement slab and need to know what to use since I can't nail A transition strip into the cement.

Insulating 'Sears' type house Floor/wall/attic [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning renovations for my house which I am told is a 1948 'Sears' type house 1.5 stories, original wood siding, now with metal siding. Thick plaster walls with no insulation. Attic has insulation up to the top of joist. Floors have no insulation. Floors are cold on feet. Duct work only...

Insulating my garage [ 1 Answers ]

Does the gap at the bottom of the garage between the sheet rock and floor could be sealed with a foam sealer or would that create moisture to build up in my wall. I'm planning on sealing the gap and laying base boards at the bottom of the wall to create that finished look.

View more questions Search