Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pepeelapiuk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2007, 10:02 AM
    How to attach a car port to a brick wall
    Hello All,
    I'm thinking of adding a car port to my APT building. The outside is all bricks. How should the car port be attach to the brick wall. I heard a few strories and I'd like to have some real answers... please :eek:

Attached you will find a pic and drawing of what I would like to do. My main concern is to how should I attach the 2 main beams to the structure. Of course the main beams need to be attached to the inner wall but should it be only attached there and some of the weight will be supported by the brick wall? This would only require to undo part of the brick wall where the beams would be. OR should I bring a columb behind the brick wall down to land on the foundation of the building? This would require to undo a strip of the brick wall down to the fonudation in order to put a columb and then redo the bricks.

PLease help me on this one!

THANKS!

Steve
    Attached Images

KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2007, 09:00 AM
    First, I would think about making this a flat 'shed' roof, like the shed roofs coming off the door openings, a sloped roof going from building out sideways,this would eliminate the step flashing you would need to apply,and give you a clear line to flash with roofing or by cutting in to the mortar and applying metal flashing bent a 90 degrees covering the roofing.( I am thinking not of shingle, but modified bituman or single ply)

My reasoning behind this is, shingle requires a pitch of 4/12 or greater to be considered instated correctly, and be warranted)

By bolting a 2X to the brick at the appropriate height you then have a ledge to work from to run joists out.

Posts on the outer edge will support the roof line and there you can attach drainage/gutter system.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Nov 6, 2007, 08:29 PM
    the beams need to be attached to the inner wall, not resting on the brick, there not load bearing. Once you attach the beam to the wall you'll need to add 3 to 4 2x4s underneath it to take the load to the foundation.
    it does look like you have enough head room to use a shed roof here, keep it to a 4/12 pitch, and nothing less , your code there may need to be steeper
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2010, 11:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gary102884 View Post
    :D Our company is one of the leading manufacturers and exporters of an assortment of brick making machine and mining machine. All the machines can be easily customized and are globally renowned for their high performance and minimum power consumption.

After more than thirty years resarch and development, now our company has a fixed asset of more than RMB31,000,000, occupies an area of 39,000 square meters, with 390 staffs, among whom there are 110 skeleton technicians and 23 engineers, all of which have prepared great potential for the rapid development of the company.

Mainly of our products: brick making machine, clay brick machine, fly ash brick machine, AAC brick machine mining machine and so on.
    This isn't a site on which you can advertise, gary102884!

Besides that, this is a really old thread that is now archived and so, not generally visible anymore.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Military brick wall [ 6 Answers ]

I need help... my husband's family asked me to search for the family of his father. The man was quite the storyteller and I have had quite a time trying to prove his stories as truth or fiction. I have hit a brick wall... My FIL served in the Army during WW2 and his records were allegedly lost...

Wiring in a brick wall? [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to be adding outlets to walls that are brick covered in plaster. I know that I can remove the plaster and "carve" into the brick to add the outlets. What do I use to cut into the brick? What kind of wire do I need to use in this wall so that it is safe to recover it with bonding agent...

Fake Brick on kitchen wall [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to remove fake brick off a wall, if we remove it will it take off the plaster? Maybe it would be better just to paint it?

Baseboard heater and attach it to the available 15amp non dedicated wall outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to heat an area (180cf with no moving air) using a 1500W using a baseboard heater and attach it to the available 15amp non dedicated electrical wall outlet. I would also like to control the temp. Inside this space with a standard home T-stat. mounted inside the area being heated. I...

View more questions Search