Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morganhorse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 11:51 PM
    Ctrl keys aren't working on laptop keyboard
    Hi, I am at a loss on how to get my ctrl keys working again. It is on a laptop keyboard and I'm not sure if they're broken, or locked, or what. Please help!
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Apr 16, 2007, 08:12 AM
    What is the make and model of the laptop, and, how are the ctrl keys NOT working? For example, ctrl-a is not selecting all?
    morganhorse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC888
    What is the make and model of the laptop, and, how are the ctrl keys NOT working? For example, ctrl-a is not selecting all?
    It's a T21 IBM ThinkPad.
    That's exactly what's wrong with it.

Apr 16, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Have you tried other ctrl key combinations? Such as ctrl-shift-esc? To bring up the windows task manager? Have you tried the left and right ctrl keys?

Does this happen in Office only, or in Windows general?

Is Stickykeys (Microsoft's keyboard aid) ON?

If you have an external keyboard, plug it in and test the ctrl key with it.

If it works, then the laptop key may be stuck, maybe dirt got in, may be worn out from use.
    mobius_thought Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Apr 22, 2007, 04:00 PM
    Regardless of why, you should be able to Google "key binding" find a program to do that (typically used by gamers), and simply bind another key to give the same signal as the Ctrl key.

Be prepared to have to download a few different programs. Some want you to press the key to be emulated, which you are not able to do. You'll need to find one, like with a pull-down menu of keys.
    northside13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2007, 07:01 PM
    I have the same problem with an older A20 IBM laptop.
    Both ctrl keys are not working.
    Any other answers other than binding?

May 7, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Try an external keyboard to check if it's a keyboard hardware problem
    koyauni Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2010, 04:21 AM
    When both Ctrl at the same time are not responding it can hardly be an hardware problem. The only defect can be the wire connection from such a key (as both are connected to the system with the same wire) is cut of somewhere which will ever happen. So this is a software issue. If only one of them was faulty we could say the mechanism of the key function is disrupted and need to be checked but both of them at the same time, may caused by something else than hardware. Try Press alt+ctrl+fn see if it will help
    Naiza Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2010, 02:52 AM

You don't have to replace the whole keyboard if some of your keys fell off. There is a key replacement company I ordered my keys from. I also have an IBM Think Pad and my 's' key was not working properly. I ordered from this company and they delieverd on time.They even have video tutorials on how to fix your keys. And its very simple. Here is the page for the IBM Think Pad Keys: IBM Thinkpad T21 Replacement Laptop Keys
    Hope it helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

All keys on keyboard are locked [ 8 Answers ]

All the keys on the keyboard are locked. I have a feeling that I may have held a key down too long while thinking/typing. How can I fix this?

How do I disable the laptop keyboard when adding an external keyboard [ 2 Answers ]

My laptop keyboard is screwed up - tried to add an external through a usb port - bad keys on laptop keyboard take priority over external keyboard - tried to uninstall laptop keyboard, but system requests reboot to finish - after reboot system "finds" laptop keyboard and reinstalls - any ideas?

Keys on keyboard completely messed up [ 4 Answers ]

I need help badly. There are many keys on my keyboard that are not working correctly!:confused: e.g. k comes as 2, j as 1, l as 3, 0 as *... it goes on and on... It all started when I was playing an online game. This question was typed with on-screen keyboard! Note: no keys have 'swapped'...

Pc keyboard keys wrong [ 1 Answers ]

My hp compaq nc6220 has wrong keys - to get a @ you type " and vice versa for example. I followed all the steps in a previous thread on this subject and note that when I go into device manager>hardware>keyboard and expand it, the only entry is "quick launch buttons" i.e. no device is specified. Can...

Certain keyboard keys stopped working (be glad it isn't yours) [ 21 Answers ]

once upon a time, there were 102 happy little keys that all worked on my creative prodikeys keyboard. The all of a sudden, bammy, the r, y, h, 7, I, and the k keys died. This happened when I was using my computer. A while later, the keys worked again. I said to myself that ''this must be a driver...

View more questions Search