Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Sep 9, 2011, 03:11 PM
    Beginner Training for two yearling QH's
    We recently added to our horse collection by purchasing two quarter-horse yearlings. A 17 month old colt names Jax and a 16 month old filly named Blaze. Our current horses were all broke when purchased so we have never had the luxury (or nightmare) of breaking horses ourselves.

When we bought them they weren't even halter broke, we immediately began with the halters and they have gotten use to them. Wearing them, taking them off and putting them on is quite an easy task now. Our next step is to lead train both with and with a lead rope. The problem is we're not sure what we're doing... :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this matter. If you have any insight on some training tips on getting these two horses to lead better so once they hit 2 and a half years, we can start breaking them to ride, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rick
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 9, 2011, 03:43 PM
    Here are many links for horse training that may apply to you.
    Ref:
    Learn About Training Your Horse - Horse Training For Beginners

When I helped a friend with training we used to walk the horse in the pen and just meander at first. Then later started making turns and sounds like you would when you ride. After the were comfortable we added barrels and other obsticles for the horse to walk around always giving commands and praise as the lessons got harder. Up to the point of saddling the horse (no rider) so they got used to it. When they became of age for riding then we started slow and the horses took to it very well in this case. They were Arab's. Very beautiful horses.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Sep 9, 2011, 07:16 PM
    Thank You califdadof3. The issue is mainly with the colt. It's the stallion coming out in him, he is very stubborn and most of the time refuses to move (until forced) while trying to lead with halter even if it's in the stall. The female I can lead wherever while using both a longeing rope (lead rope) and/or a halter.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas or tips and tricks on how to break the stubbornness of a young colt?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Where can I find a training center that offers IPC training? [ 0 Answers ]

I'm looking for a training centers that teaches IPC Training that provides quality training system.

How to go from outside training to potty pad training for our puppy? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a two month old shih zui puppy and she is very well trained in using the bathroom outdoors. In this cold weather I find that she shivers a lot while outside and I always make sure she has a coat/sweater on. How can I get her to at least during the colder months or during rainy days to use...

I'm not a beginner but. [ 8 Answers ]

I'm currently using the vista system with my brand new bought in April dell laptop.. inspiron 1545 I believe to be exact... everyone calls it the inspiron 15 and don't use the last two numbers... what I was wondering was what's all of your opinions on vista? Also.. I have two buttons on my...

Beginner level [ 3 Answers ]

I am a beginner, can anybody help me by explaining concept of adjustment? Also, please help me to prepare a trading account, profit and loss account and balance sheet? How an I identify opening and closing stock from a trail balance of a financial year?

View more questions Search