Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Grumpy Old Bear Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 02:17 PM
    False "Insufficient Hard Disk Space" error when downloading Drivers
    O/S XP-SP2 updated

NOTE: Other than this specific problem, the System/OS, all Peripherals and Applications are working perfectly.

I recently bought a new Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision to replace my old QuickCam. When I went to install the drivers/Apps; the CD began to spin-up in the drive but before we could get into 'Installation Wizard' - the "booming" 'You have problems' box pops up and tells me that I have;

"Insufficient Hard Disk space to install this Application."

Well, let's see; The file is 35MB, I have a 145GB HD of which 92% (135GB) is FREE and even my simple little brain says - THAT CAN'T BE!

I and a few friends have been trying to figure this one out to no avail. In trying to resolve the problem I've:

Run a second Defrag of the HD in the past 60 days

Run RegFix and cleared to a '0' annomaly

Bumped up the 'Virtual Memory' to 850/2510 MB

Downloaded a slightly newer set of drivers from their WebSite and tried to install on a direct download - only to get the same error message as when I use the CD.

Thought I'd be "slick" - downloaded/saved the file to a separate folder, opened it and tried to install from the 'saved' location - only to get the same error message as when I use the CD.

I even tried to go back and do a "System Restore" to an earlier config, but, with all the "clean-up" that was done (including deleting all the old Logitech files), System Restore won't reconfigure the settings.

Anyone out there got any ideas - other than re-formatting and re-installing, that's "last ditch".

In advance
    Thank you
    IT Helpp Posts: 35, Reputation: 4

Apr 8, 2008, 12:22 PM
    It sounds like the program is automatically trying to load to a drive other than your hard drive.

1. Check you TEMP files setting

Right-click on My Computer - Properties - Advanced Tab - Environment Variables

edit the temp and tmp variables

2. Check your registry settings:

1. Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion
    2. Find ProgramFilesDir whose default should be C:\Program Files
    3. Change this to whatever directory you wish. I changed it to D:\Program Files for example.

Remember you have to reboot for your changes to show.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Apr 8, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Also, if it's an NTFS drive (I suspect it is, given the size), make sure you don't have a quota turned on for your account. It can deny disk space if you've reached your quota, even though there's plenty left on the drive itself.

Quota is in My Computer, Under the drive properties (Right click -> Properties), and there should be a Quota tab.

Apr 9, 2008, 05:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsoksirhc
    Also, if it's an NTFS drive (I suspect it is, given the size), make sure you don't have a quota turned on for your account. It can deny disk space if you've reached your quota, even though there's plenty left on the drive itself.

Quota is in My Computer, Under the drive properties (Right click -> Properties), and there should be a Quota tab.

Thanks for the response, I don't need to check though - I know that QUOTAS are disabled in the configuration I set up.

Apr 9, 2008, 05:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by IT Helpp
    It sounds like the program is automatically trying to load to a drive other than your hard drive.

1. Check you TEMP files setting

Right-click on My Computer - Properties - Advanced Tab - Environment Variables

edit the temp and tmp variables

2. Check your registry settings:

1. Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion
    2. Find ProgramFilesDir whose default should be C:\Program Files
    3. Change this to whatever directory you wish. I changed it to D:\Program Files for example.

Remember you have to reboot for your changes to show.

Thanks for the response, my question is;

Edit Temp/TMP variables to what? Delete them? You didn't specify the details of the action.

Why would I want to change the root drive of the C:\ Prog Files?
    IT Helpp Posts: 35, Reputation: 4

Apr 9, 2008, 08:45 AM
    In both scenarious you need to ensure that the locations are appropriate locations. For example, make sure the TEMP directory is not pointing to the CD Drive.

By the way, have you tried to run the CD on a different computer? It is always possible that there is a bug in the installation program. Or maybe the wrong CD version?

Just guessing at this point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pro's & Con's of "Compress drive to save disk space" [ 10 Answers ]

Hello everybody I have a question about "Compress drive to save disk space" checkbox that's located in the general tab of the Local Disk properties. I just discovered this feature and decided to save some disk on my laptop but when I applied this feature. A progress bar dialog box appeared and...

"Legal" Websites for Downloading MP3s [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I've been doing some research into websites that I could legally download music from (I figure that artists deserve to get paid). One particular site that caught my eye was Aziom www.aziom.com. It claims to have a selection of 5 billion songs with a cheap price of $18 US a year. Does anyone...

Kenmore Elite HE 4t "F 02" and "Suds" error [ 11 Answers ]

I have an Elite He 4T frontloading washing machine, it is almost 3 years old - no more warranty! It has been giving me the F 02 error code, which is "Drain Problem". There are no items in the drain on the inside of the machine, I tookoff the hose it is clear. I stuck a wire hanger down the opening...

""fAIL"" error message [ 2 Answers ]

My dad and mom have a Windows XP administrator account, and then mine is below theres… ? Everytime I log on to my account, an error window that says “fAIL” (typed like that) pops up. Whats goin on?

External HDD Error "Insert A Disk Into Drive" [ 1 Answers ]

I have a WD HDD installed into an external case. When I plug it into a USB port, a drive letter appears in "System Hardware", and it says the driver is OK and the device is working properly. It even gives me the model number of the WD drive! Driver Agent even confirms that the driver is OK. ...

View more questions Search