Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DGW Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 05:01 AM
    Toshiba 36A50 blank screen with horizontal color line in the middle
    We have lost the picture - sounds works - on our Toshiba 36" TV Model 36A50. Purchased 11/00.

Screen is blank except for a color band about 1/2" tall across the middle of the screen. You can see it change colors, brightness, etc. but we can't get the picture back.

All other TV's working fine.

What is the problem and is it worth repairing vs. buying a new one?

Thanks

DGW
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 05:37 AM
    I know that the problem is in the vertical deflection circuits, coils that set on the back of the picture tube (old TV talk) and spread this narrow strip up and down
    so it covers the entire screen... If it is the yoke(old TV talk) the coils that set on neck of picture, it can be expensive, but there is a chance it is a power problem
    to these coils, less expensive...

I would get an estimate... tell them about the thin line on screen...
    may not be expensive...

The thing to think about is how old this TV is, almost eight years old, you fix one thing, everything else is still eight years old... The value of a TV drops 50% every year, so an $800 TV is worth $25 in FIVE years -- Please think about buying a new one...

If I helped please reward me
    ToshibaQuery Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2012, 11:02 AM
    OK, I have the same problem. I've let it warm up and sometimes, I repeat sometimes, the picture comes back on. My question is, I also have another Toshiba just like this one, only it has some other problems, but NOT the picture. So, is there a safe way I can replace something from one TV to the other and have a working TV? Any answers are appreciated.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2012, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ToshibaQuery View Post
    ok, I have the same problem. I've let it warm up and sometimes, I repeat sometimes, the picture comes back on. My question is, I also have another Toshiba just like this one, only it has some other problems, but NOT the picture. So, is there a safe way I can replace something from one tv to the other and have a working tv?? Any answers are appreciated.

This post is 5 years old. Sure, you can swap parts but everything is on a PC board and without a schematic, almost impossible to trace. New TV's are cheap, particularly for the Xmas season.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Horizontal line above a character [ 15 Answers ]

I want to be able to put a horizontal line above some letters such as "a" or "c" . Does anyone know how to do this? Tks Donna

Blank screen after xp splash screen and then hangs [ 2 Answers ]

My colleagues and I work in a tech environment and we have seen several computers with the same symptoms. Namely a failure to boot xp. After the xp logo screen the screen goes to blank and it just hangs. This looks like a graphics card fault but changing card does nothing. Booting into safe...

Horizontal light line across center of screen [ 1 Answers ]

... this has happened several times in the past 2 days... I'll get a normal picture, then it will 'collapse' into one small horizontal line across the center of the screen. I turn the TV off, the picture returns, etc. This has happened several times. Does this mean the TV is dying? It's a Sanyo...

Blank screen [ 3 Answers ]

While on the internet my computer froze up and when I did control alt delete my screen went blank with all wavy lines. I shut the machine off and sbooted up again only to get the blank screen with wavy lines. No matter what I try I cannot get to my desktop. Can anyone help? :eek:

Blank screen at start-up [ 2 Answers ]

At each cold start, the screen remains blank. Only after two restarts or resets, screen comes up and everything works correctly.? Have put in another videocard (GF2) and then monitor display came up at first try. Then tried my videocard (GF4Ti4200) in another PC and worked properly as well....

View more questions Search