Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Coiner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 05:39 PM
    Bicentennial half dollar without Independence Hall
    Flying Blue Eagle, I've got a coin question for you.

I've been randomly collecting bicentennial half dollars as of late and came across a weird one. Did they mint by accident a 1776-1976 bicentennial Half Dollar without Independence Hall on the back but the Eagle instead? I have one. Is it rare??

can you give me some insight on this coin.

Thanks,

Coiner
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 09:56 PM

Coiner-YOU have a BIcentennialkennedy half dollar,that is either mint dated 1974 or 1977
    AND HAS THE eagle instead of the Independence HALL AND been altered to look liker a bicentennioal keendy half dollar;the 1776-1976 was minted durning 1975 and 1976;; then in 1977 they put the eagle back on the kenndy half dollar,andf has stayrd that way since;;I myself have never seen one as you have saidand I have been a collector since I was 7 years old and now Im over the hill as the saying goes;; there has been a lot of altering of dates and other things on coins to try to make them more valuable;;I'mafraid that this is what you have as much as I hate to say;; here is one way that you can find out about the coin, that is to send it to A.N.A.C.C,for grading and authacation [to see if its real or not; they weill put it in a specuial holder if it is;; contact them on their web sited before you send it to them ; ask them what they think about the coin and what the value should be to send it to them[insured] and return receipt;; the kenndy bicentennial half dollar was minted in 1975 and 1976,before 1976 it had the eagle on the reverse and was put back on in 1977 and has stayed since ;;And after you find out ,come back to the site and this post and let us all knowhow you came out;; Ok heer it is { A.N.A.CC.-WEB SITE= ( www.ANACCS.com } OR contact them at {ANACS:: PO BOX -200-300;; Austin TX.:: 78720-0300] GOOD LUCK AND have a great day and GOD BLESS ;;F.B.E.
    Coiner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2009, 02:23 PM
    Flying Blue Eagle,

Thank you!

I did call ANACS. They were very helpful. Counterfit indeed. I sent them pictures and they were able to detect a ridge on the back side that looked like "a slice" going all around the inside rim. My kids and I were able to get it to come apart. Wow! What a lot of work someone did to make this a perfect fit. The weird part is that the insert (American Seal, Eagle or Tails side) was actually a UK penny dated 1967. I don't know how that got the Tails side of the UK coin to look like the Tails side of a Half Dollar but they did. Maybe they shaved it off a Half Dollar and glued it to a shaved UK penny. It's very creative workmanship. I have a neighbor that used to work for NASA. He worked with lasers to cut hard metal like Titanium. I'm thinking who ever did this must have used one of the pieces of equipment like he used on the job. I'll be heading over to visit with him later today to show him my latest novelty collectible. No value except to me and my kids. They've enjoyed the MYSTERY.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2009, 10:30 PM

CONIER - Thank you for letting us all know on
    What you found out ; Now maybe someone that has read this will never be taken and not loose any hard earned money ;; I was very much glad to have helped you out ;; THis may help you out in the future and everyone else[ Be fore buying coins get a coin book from Wallmart,Books a million, A coin store etc. AND LOOK the coin up in the book;, Last year it was reported in the numistic mag. That there was over a million dollars spent on coins
    At E-BAY that were made in CHINA <COPYS OF COINS; SO EVERYONE please be careful ,get a book; they can also be checked out from the local libery; Have a great day and GOD BLESS ::F.B.E.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1776-1976 Kennedy clad half dollar [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 1776-1976 Kennedy clad half dollar with an s mint mark that appears to be out of place, it is located just below the D in GOD and to the left of Presidents neckline. The vast major of 1776-1976 Kennedy clad half dollar have the mint mark below Presidents neckline and centered above...

Bicentennial 1776-1976 [ 16 Answers ]

My in-laws have this coin that they think is rare, so I'd like to know if it really is... The coin/ medal is larger than a quarter and is copper (?) clad... it has what appears to be the liberty bell on one side and states "United States of America- Bicentennial"... On the other side it states...

Half dollar misstrike [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I need some help I have a half dollar 1776-1976 that has no mint mark is it worth anything?

70's-80's Half Real/Half Cartoon movie about a Girl and a Dolphin [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am desperate to remember a movie from my childhood. The movie could have been anywhere between the 1970's -Early 1990's. But I believe I saw it in the 80's. It was one of those half real/half cartoon movies. All I remember is a girl who is transformed into a cartoon and she is...

70's or 80's half animated half real movie [ 6 Answers ]

I remember that cartoon/ movie I used 2 watch all the time. I don't remember title anymore. A boy of 11/12 talks with a friend on the phone, his mom goes 2 work. Suddenly a big red box with a ribbon appears in his room. He unpack it, and there is somekind of car ramp and little red cabrio. He gets...

View more questions Search