Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Quigley Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2007, 08:37 PM
    Ontario / Seven years done... now seven more years?
    I live in Ontario Canada and have waited seven years for a TD Bank entry to come off the "Credit Information" section on my Equifax report, It's come off but now there's a completely new entry in the "Collection Accounts" section for the same arrears handed over to a collection agency.
    I thought the max was seven years on your report but am now looking at 14 years for this to disappear?

May 22, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Well since no one's answering, I'm going to try to keep a record here, I'm new at this & don't know if I can win this.. but I'm going to try my hardest.
    I called an Equifax rep today name Chris who was short on info & long on attitude, as soon as I called she tried to get information to update the file but I gave her nothing more than what was already on my file, very persistent woman asking for my workplace & trying to tell me that I no longer live at my current address & that I must have a new address etc etc.
    I asked her if it was legal to remove an entry with the original creditor (TD Bank) after 6 years only to have it put back under "Collection Accounts" for 6 more years by a collection agency, she told me "companies can do whatever they want" and went as far as to try to dig up the number for the collection agency so that I could settle the bill, I told her I refuse and this angered her.
    I explained that If I call them the date of last activity would be reset and asked her to explain why the Collection Accounts section does not have a date of last activity field, but has the following explanation in the header:
    A collection account under public records will automatically purge from the system six (6) years from the date of last activity.
    She explained that the "Date of last payment" was the same thing.
    I asked her why this date of last activity (date of last payment) was showing a date of 2006 where it previously showed 2000 as the date of last activity when the original entry with the creditor was still on my report, I have had no contact nor made any payments with these people since 2000.
    She told me that the date of last activity probably changed because the account was sold to a collection agency.
    I asked her again if this was legal and she again told me "companies can do whatever they want", I told her that companies cannot do whatever they want and are governed by laws & when I mentioned the statute of limitations she became more angry and my impression was that she knew "of" the statute but nothing else, she kept telling me to pay my bill because I still owe them & the date will keep resetting every time my account is sold... I'm not sure if this is true but I found this very disturbing.
    Don't know what my next step will be but I'll keep you posted. :p

Jul 29, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Resolved! Long story short, once a debt is sold to another agency, if it's already been on your file for six years they're not allowed to put it back on under a new creditor name / account number because it's still the same old debt... don't give up, there is hope. :cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Almost 10 years and now this. [ 13 Answers ]

Hello all, After reading all these threads, and the variety of situations, I come to wonder if any of the outcome have been a happy one. I am in a similar situation but I am preparing for the worst. I thought I may share my pain here as well. My relationship started when I was 19 and...

It's been 6 years! [ 5 Answers ]

Vbn

After three years, I don't know where to go.. [ 10 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend for a few years now, we live together and share almost every part of our lives. A couple of months ago, I had surgery that required me to be bed-ridden for nearly 2 months which meant 24-hour care. I did not want to put that responsibility all on him, so I stayed at my...

Trying for 2 years [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying for almost two years. But the doctors dignose me a large fibroid on my uterus. I don't think this is the cause but I decided to remove the fibroid and pray my god. Please tell me if you have anything like this also caused infertility/

5 years... [ 11 Answers ]

I've held on to someone for almost 5 years I can't let him go, I even sabatoge his new relationships(not on purpose) he visited me his girlfriend got mad and dumped him I talk to him almost everyday online but I can't tell him so I just don't say anything. I can't kepp going on like this. Should...

View more questions Search