Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 31, 2013, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    *groan*
    You don't know what Pentecostals et al. believe about how Catholics perceive Mary and the saints?
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2013, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You don't know what Pentecostals et al. believe about how Catholics perceive Mary and the saints?
    Yes, I know and that's the problem. If I read the post incorrectly, I apologize.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 31, 2013, 02:27 PM
    Yes, I know and that's the problem. If I read the post incorrectly, I apologize.
    How is it the problem?
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2013, 02:30 PM
    How is it the problem?
    The gratuitous swipe at the Catholic Church.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 31, 2013, 02:34 PM
    The gratuitous swipe at the Catholic Church.
    That wasn't the intent at all. No swiping was going on. There is definitely a difference between Pentecostal et al. and Catholic belief/understanding regarding the person of Mary, the mother of Jesus, and her role in the lives of Christians.
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2013, 02:43 PM
    That wasn't the intent at all. No swiping was going on. There is definitely a difference between Pentecostal et al. and Catholic belief/understanding regarding the person of Mary, the mother of Jesus, and her role in the lives of Christians.
    Yes, but gratuitous in that it had nothing to do with the question.

This mini discussion has no future, so I will say ta-ta.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 31, 2013, 02:47 PM
    Yes, but gratuitous in that it had nothing to do with the question.
    Actually, yes, it did. Pentecostal elders and deacons apparently are always on the alert for any newcomers who may be promoting a different doctrine or practice other than their church's. Thus, OP's "warning" from the pastor was not unusual.
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2013, 02:53 PM
    Actually, yes, it did. Pentecostal elders and deacons apparently are always on the alert for any newcomers who may be promoting a different doctrine or practice other than their church's. Thus, OP's "warning" from the pastor was not unusual.

You win.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 31, 2013, 02:59 PM
    You win.
    Winning isn't what this is about. If I were on the schedule to play with my Christian rock band at a Catholic service, we wouldn't break out with a jubilant "Ein Feste Burg." It's the same kind of respect.
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2013, 03:04 PM
    Winning isn't what this is about. If I were on the schedule to play with my Christian rock band at a Catholic service, we wouldn't break out with a jubilant "Ein Feste Burg." It's the same kind of respect.

Can't win gracefully, eh?
    freeman4 Posts: 102, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2013, 07:43 AM
    When I first attended the Church in which I had the same experience, I felt just as you. I believed that I was a Child of God and that having the Holy Spirit I was qualified to lay hands on individuals. As you I was pulled to the side and was told not to do that, that only Gods ministers were to do that. It scared me then.

But as I have grown in knowledge I find it not wrong to do this because only you will know what Gift God has given you, no one else. People have certain gifts and it is up to them to find that gift, not someone for them.

God has used me as an instrument many time in healing individuals. It is not I but God who does it through me. Try the gifts that are mentioned and see what you have, only you will know and only God will provide the healing power.

freeman4:
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2013, 08:30 AM
    I can see both sides because IF God lays it on your heart to lay hands on and pray for someone then nothing should stop you. But it is their church and they are responsible to lead it orderly. I'm not even sure some that the church allow that privilege should be doing so. I counseled a girl at a church one time and got told about it but I knew it was what I was to do at the time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 4, 2013, 08:44 AM
    I am getting into this late, but, these were people the poster knew, ( his friends) and he was inspired by the Holy Spirit to do this.

I am sorry, new, old, if the Holy Spirit tells you to do it, then you do it. Was not Paul new to town when he went into a city. If the Spirit lead them, then a Elder questioning this was doing so, perhaps out of pride or other reasons, had that elder even listened to the prayers being said.

If I have the choice, follow a church rule, listen to a elder or even a pastor, or Follow the leading of the Holy Spirit, I have to follow the Spirit.

At times the Spirit will make a person challenge what is happening in a church.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2013, 09:36 AM
    Exactly

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Not a member of a church but want to be married in church [ 8 Answers ]

Neither my fiancé or myself are members of a church, however we want to be married in a church. We live in Whitehall, PA and are wondering if anyone knows of a church that would marry us without having to join.

Lay Off [ 4 Answers ]

I need some advice. I am going to have to lay off our adminisrative assistant next week. This is my first time doing anything like thia snd I am very nervous. I am going to do it on Wednesday and pay her through Friday. Any suggestions on how I should handle this??

View more questions Search