Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zsalshatib Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2007, 08:09 PM
    6 year old son and school
    As a mother of only one child, how do I respond and should I deal with my son and with teacher as the teacher told me that my son does not respect the teacher because he plays and make funny things in his face and mouth while she explain?

Also, the teacher told me that my only son has stolen her paper clip and put it in his finger and when she saw it she asked him about it but he claim it is his? I am sure there is a better way to describe my son but not a lier or thief! He does not want to go to school now and he hates the school!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 5, 2007, 08:15 PM
    Hmmmm, you need to deal with your son, not the teacher, if your son is disrupting class. How long has this been going on? How much longer before he is out of school for the summer?

He needs to know that this is wrong and unacceptable, you will not tolerate it.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2007, 09:36 PM
    Limits and boundries need to be established for this child, however, if the teacher is calling him names like liar etc-the teacher will NEVER gain his respect.

I think that your son needs some work understanding good and bad behaviour-but like I said, go easy. I think teacher may be partially to blame-although I'm not sure...
    Expert

Jun 5, 2007, 09:39 PM
    I also would go lightly right now if he will be out of school for the summer. He may just need to be challenged, he could be bored.
    goodgirl Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Jun 5, 2007, 10:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zsalshatib
    As a mother of only one child, how do I respond and should I deal with my son and with teacher as the teacher told me that my son does not respect the teacher because he plays and make funny things in his face and mouth while she explain?

Also, the teacher told me that my only son has stolen her paper clip and put it in his finger and when she saw it she asked him about it but he claim it is his? I am sure there is a better way to describe my son but not a lier or thief!! he does not want to go to school now and he hates the school!
    Tell him if he don't he may have to go to summer school and maybe be more nice
    Expert

Jun 5, 2007, 10:21 PM
    Threaten with summer school and then be nice to him? Contradictory to me. Maybe I am just tired.
    Expert

Jun 5, 2007, 11:02 PM
    goodgirl disagrees: its not nice
    Another noob!!
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2007, 06:15 AM
    Your son may not be ready for school. The things you are describing may stem from immaturity. He probably isn't trying to be a thief or liar - he just doesn't want to get into trouble.
    If your son is destined to be the "class clown" you need to set up boundaries with him. Let him know that when he is at school - he is there for one purpose - to learn. Not to entertain. He probably makes the funny faces, etc. to get a laugh. Once he gets that laugh - he is fueled and keeps going.
    Stay in close contact with his teachers - and be open to what they tell you - don't shut them down because you don't want to see certain things out of your child.

I got to hear this year that my 6 year old daughter is stubborn and very competitive. Things that I really don't see at home (well maybe the stubborn part) because she is an only child - there is no one to compete with. I didn't jump on the teacher - I listened and respected what she had to say - her job in life is to educate children and she's good at it. I am not an educator and only know my kid - so just go in with an open mind.

What grade is your son in?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is my 16 year old son so mean to me? [ 12 Answers ]

I am just devastated by the way my son treats me. Tonight he called me a ho and tells me every day that I am worthless. I have been here for him while his father, my ex husband went years without seeing him at all. I have helped him so much and tried so hard to give him a decent life. I am off...

Son hates private school need some help [ 9 Answers ]

My son has become very angry and abusive to his parents, because he claims that the private high school he helped select is an awful place. He is a sophomore this year. He said he didn't like the schhol last year, but had a pretty good year, got good grades, played fottball, and made friends. This...

My 18 year old son [ 6 Answers ]

I live in NC and I have a 18 yr old son who is a college student. He was dating a wonderful girl and she got pregnant. They told me right before Thanksgiving and although shocked we accepted it and wanted to do all we could for both of them. Before Christmas his girlfriend broke up with him and...

14 yr old son will not go to school [ 24 Answers ]

My hard to control 14 year old son stays up late and will not get out of bed for school. He has always had a problem with authority and unless teachers or parents are speaking to him in a way that he likes, he rebels. He does not treat his parents with respect. I'm afraid he is ruining his...

Son didn't graduate high school what to do? [ 7 Answers ]

:( Hello my son dropped out of school at the end of his senior year. He thought he was doing the right thing We live in Ky. He got a job in Fl. Making 25 an hour. This is good for a 18 year old boy so he thought. The company got in trouble now he has no job or diploma. He now has no job. This...

View more questions Search